• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

fisheyes

My main problem is how the two column make for awkward zig-zagging of successive things, so when somebody posts on your wall in succession or you get a large number of posts on the same day (such as your birthday), its a pain to read.

This could be easily solved by grouping this kind of stuff together, which they seem to have tried to do, but haven't been all that successful in achieving. Like if you go to my birthday, I get one timeline space saying 'x friends posted on his wall for his birthday', and a list of them, which is really good, but then the other half of my wall posts for it are just scattered about separately. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the ones that are grouped and the ones that aren't, and it seems really messy.

Another friend has timeline.

The good news is, this will cut my facebook time significantly. I simply cannot scroll down a page and read stuff comfortably.

Im predicting in 2 months they will make serious changes, once data shows that time spent on site by users crashes.

Xun

I moved to timeline and I must say it sure does seem to lag a bit.

There are certain elements I like, but then it falls flat in other areas.

LogicStep

Yo seriously, how does the friends list work? There has to be something to it... I'm talking about the few friends that show up on on your friends section on your profile. I think it shows the friends that recently looked at your profile or something. It's too much of a coincidence.

Btw this Timeline thing is cool I guess.

Anybody else's Facebook just stop working entirely for no apparent reason? Since yesterday, Facebook will no longer load on Chrome. All I see on the page are a bunch of loading bars in various places, and I can't do so much as post a status update. Every other site on the Internet that I know of is working and loading just fine.

This is pretty annoying to say the least...

?oe?oe

Yo seriously, how does the friends list work? There has to be something to it... I'm talking about the few friends that show up on on your friends section on your profile. I think it shows the friends that recently looked at your profile or something. It's too much of a coincidence.

Btw this Timeline thing is cool I guess.

The friends they show are ones that have actively commented/tagged/photos/liked/whatever on your profile.

LogicStep

The friends they show are ones that have actively commented/tagged/photos/liked/whatever on your profile.

I would agree but that just isn't the case for me. Some people shown at some times yes, they do that. But at other times, the people that show up haven't done any of that... I don't understand how it really works. Maybe it's just random but I doubt that.

MIMIC

Banned
I use Flixter to review movies that I've recently seen and whatnot. After lazily rating some movies (since I don't feel like writing "full" reviews), I attempt to go back to my Facebook homepage. After frantically clicking and clicking and clicking, I realize that I am on Flickster.com @_@ I'm not even on fucking Facebook anymore. Furthermore, there is no link to take me back to my Facebook profile.

Nice update, Zuckerberg -_-

EDIT: Found a link. But I have to go into "Account" and clicking on it launches a new window instead of simply GOING to Facebook. Also, none of my reviews show up in my Timeline or whatever. Back before the update, I had the option of posting everything to my wall for my friends to read and comment on.

jtb

Banned
I would agree but that just isn't the case for me. Some people shown at some times yes, they do that. But at other times, the people that show up haven't done any of that... I don't understand how it really works. Maybe it's just random but I doubt that.

There is some ridiculously complex algorithm that calculates all that stuff, I'm sure, probably the same one that determines which friends show up on your chat sidebar (the top 20 or w/e) - because that definitely isn't just who you chat with the most, it takes into account profile views, tags, wall posts, all that stuff.

I think it did use to be random.

Now in a timeline profile I have a theory based on one profile observation (spuer sicence there).

When you see someone elses profile that is on timeline the friends you see are either ones you are friends with or ones you probably should be friends with. I'm not the one to hit the add button but when I normally look at a profile its like "all these people I don't know" but on the persons timelined profile I'm like, oh I know all of them maybe I should whack the add button.

If that isn't a strange coincidence it seems like a good change actually.

fakedit: Just looked at a second timeline profile. It seems you'll see mutual friends if they've disabled the friends tab.

Futureman

whenever I look at my timeline, sometimes it won't scroll past November 2011 when I scroll down. Other times it will.

I don't get the distinction?

is it ALWAYS supposed to let you scroll down as far as you want, and when it isn't going past November 2011, this is likely some error loading?

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Is there a way to turn off highlighted stories on Facebook?

I actually don't like this "feature" at all and prefer to see everything in the order that it was posted. I know you can change the order of things but FB still highlights certain stories and they always appear at the top even if you do change the sorting order. I just don't want anything to be highlighted at all and I don't know why FB doesn't have an easy way to turn this off.

jaxword

Anyone have any insight or interviews or ANY plans on the drawing boards that indicated timeline was coming?

Because it's so awful, someone MUST have made the Myspace comparison at some point.

RotBot

Anyone have any insight or interviews or ANY plans on the drawing boards that indicated timeline was coming?

Because it's so awful, someone MUST have made the Myspace comparison at some point.

Timeline is awful, but at least I got some use out of it.

Uonlz.png

HewBT.png

Deleting the Photo or post which had the location doesn´t do it?

Nope, not always. I had a bunch of destinations in one trip, and some of them are false.
Deleted the destinations, nothing happened. Deleted the whole trip, everything's still there.
Fucking timeline, I'm sick of it already.
The concept with the map is really neat in theory, but not being able to delete stuff really takes the fun out of it.

In related news, Bing Maps is a fucking joke. Half the time, the geography is really, really off. WTF is wrong with facebook? ugh

People hate Timeline? jesus.

Idea is great, implementation sucks.
I want my whole Timeline, including any future shit, to be friends only. Yet every time I do something, e.g. add a new location to my map, I have to manually select "Friends only". Fuck off.
And don't even get me started with posts on my wall and new friends I added. I don't want those on my timeline at all.
Facebook is being sneaky and trying to trick people into making stuff public once again.
Yeah, maybe I'm a very secretive guy. I just like my stuff private, and facebook better accommodate me.

TL;DR: timeline is a fucking mess right now.

I've asked on the official facebook help community thing but no one seemed to know, so i'm asking you guys. Halp.

How do I change my photo privacy settings so that i'm the only person who can see photos i've been tagged in?

It used to look like this to other people -

GDP3c.png

Which was fantastic.

Now it looks like this since getting timeline -

xliBn.png

I've only just realised and I don't like it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've asked on the official facebook help community thing but no one seemed to know, so i'm asking you guys. Halp.

How do I change my photo privacy settings so that i'm the only person who can see photos i've been tagged in?

It used to look like this to other people -

GDP3c.png

Which was fantastic.

Now it looks like this since getting timeline -

xliBn.png

I've only just realised and I don't like it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?

When I post on people's walls it keeps saying under it "posted near Minneapolis". That would be great if I was actually in Minneapolis, but I was only there over the holidays and that's not the case. Anyone know how to fix this? Or better yet make it so it doesn't say where I am at all?

Firestorm

When I post on people's walls it keeps saying under it "posted near Minneapolis". That would be great if I was actually in Minneapolis, but I was only there over the holidays and that's not the case. Anyone know how to fix this? Or better yet make it so it doesn't say where I am at all?
When you are about to post you'll see a little Location icon (the one beside the tag friends icon on the bottom left of the update box). Click that and you should be able to change it.

Why is the android app so shit? Ever ince i changed my password a week ago the app has never worked. even removing it and clearing.data and still nothing. goddamn piece ofhndecroated crap.

Flash

They're going to start rolling out timeline and making it mandatory. I was never really opposed to any of Facebook's previous updates... but I am definitely not looking forward to this one. Looking at peoples timeline just gives me a headache.

Jzero

They're going to start rolling out timeline and making it mandatory. I was never really opposed to any of Facebook's previous updates... but I am definitely not looking forward to this one. Looking at peoples timeline just gives me a headache.
This is actually the only update i don't hate. It's the users crappy choice of images that kills the update.

Yeah, timeline is ass.

I wouldn't mind if it was just one column, but this two-column alternating shit really fucks with the flow and readability.

Flash

Yeah, timeline is ass.

I wouldn't mind if it was just one column, but this two-column alternating shit really fucks with the flow and readability.

THIS. They should have photos, linked images, linked videos, etc on the right column and wall posts etc on the left. That would make so much more sense then the random design they currently have.

Munin

Is it possible to disable this thing whereby if I like or comment on a post of a public page, this is shown to all my friends in their feed as well?

I've not received my countdown yet. Which I guess puts me as a pennants peasant in the eyes of Facebook. Then again I don't have the ticker (I'm lazy and can't be bothered to add friends so the activity level is too low for ticker) so I probably am.

I'll still get my cover image ready to use in March or whenever*...but I don't like the look and frictionless sharing/opengraph is not for me. As I don't like external aps potentially collecting info, feel it de-humanises it a bit and find the whole thing a little pompous to be honest (the whole you can only "read" something if someone has an app for that thing you read, which goes further with the whole "you're THE PRODUCT")

*-Is it 851×315 or 850x315?

Firestorm

I think they finally changed it so you can go to the actual website if you don't have the app. I use the Netflix app to connect to FB and have got some little comments / likes from people (ie. How'd you like the movie? I liked the book and am wondering if I should check it out). If Xbox Live and PlayStation Network only updated once you finished the game, I'd love to connect those too.
THIS. They should have photos, linked images, linked videos, etc on the right column and wall posts etc on the left. That would make so much more sense then the random design they currently have.
Yeah, needs some time of organization x.x

Jzero

Is it possible to disable this thing whereby if I like or comment on a post of a public page, this is shown to all my friends in their feed as well?
I doubt you can. At least we can see the weird stuff our friends like and comment.

Munin

no because the page is public

Yeah but why does FB assume all my friends want to see it even if they are not even liking the page themselves!? I mean, the reverse holds true too, I always see my friends commenting on random shit I don't care about. This is not just in the ticker but displayed as a proper post in the feed. Don't get why they think it is a good idea.

Top Bottom