• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus fucking Christ.

Any signals from NATO going on?? About a possible response?

This is fucking nuts, the ramifications....

This has happend before, even with other NATO nations during the Cold War. As long as there's still order and a pledge to NATO membership and commitments afterwards they won't intervene.

Ah the clash between a secular military and a pro-islamic government in Turkey, just like the 1909 Counterrevolution. Stay safe Turkey-Gaf. I don't think Erdogan will go quietly with his supporters.

Is the military still secular though?? I don't know much about the country's politics and groups, but the OP makes it seem there aren't that many secular guys left to stage this level of coup.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
NATO has stayed allied with Turkey through many coups. I'm not sure how many there has been. At least 6?

1960, 1971, 1980, possibly 1993 (covert), 1997, sort-of-coup 2007

Yamauchi

Banned
Ah the clash between a secular military and a pro-islamic government in Turkey, just like the 1909 Counterrevolution. Stay safe Turkey-Gaf. I don't think Erdogan will go quietly with his supporters.
Erdogan thrives on this type of chaos, so if he decides to fight it, I agree that it could get ugly.

This is absolutely crazy. I know it is a cliche, but 2016 is a batshit insane year and it is just barely half over. Hoping this ends quickly with as little bloodshed as possible. But I sense achieving both those outcomes is unlikely. Stay safe Turkey.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, just seeing this.

Is this just a general "we thought Erdogan was a fuckface" sort of thing or did something specific bring this on?

Jezbollah

Jesus fucking Christ.

Any signals from NATO going on?? About a possible response?

This is fucking nuts, the ramifications....

What would NATO respond to? It's an internal issue and something that has happened a few times in Turkey since they became member of the alliance.

Please be a secular coup. The people of Turkey need one. I hope this goes down with minimal violence. Fuck Erdogan though. Don't feel sorry for him.

Alavard

Unlike twitter, they can't just post any new information as soon as it comes up. They have to confirm it first.

Yeah, CNN needs to look into if a black hole was involved first.

2b3e36d0c7ab5394cbec5a6d5b7db3e7.JPG

boiled goose

good with gravy
Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.

Definitely....
If the military sides with government + people and not the autocratic dictator then they usually transition power back to the people.

Sane_Man

My friend at work is supposed to be going on holiday there on Monday.. I even asked him just today if it was safe to travel there.

Hope this calms down.

mkenyon

Banned
People need some perspective on this. This is not something out of the ordinary for Turkey. It's happened a lot, and generally has a positive, if not neutral, outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom