• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always laugh at the statements of members of "well organized militias" who claim that in the case of a tyrannical government using the military against its own people they would take their AR-15s and fight back. As if the US military, with its tanks, aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, drones, and nukes, would give a fuck about a bunch of rednecks with pistols.

As if the US military would drop a nuke on US soil.

Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.

In Pakistan military coups are generally welcome since the army is secular and actually gets things done compared to usually corrupt pro-islamic politicians. Much of Pakistan's history actually sees the most progress when the army is in control.

In fact there was an article this week where people in Pakistan are begging the military to take control: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pakistan-poster-campaign-calls-martial-law-pop-across-country-n608441

holy shit

is it even possible in this day and age for a army to take over a country ?

how the hell can police win against a army

Military coups happen around the world on a semi regular basis. I can only imagine how long it can take to plot though.

In regards to grunts in the military who partake in a coup, they're either openly in support due to belief in the leaders of the coup, coercion, or fear of being one of the few in the group who remained loyal to the current government (and the consequences that could bring).

Police and other internal forces would be unlikely to act, because well, which domestic officer would risk their lives taking on a trained military force?

mkenyon

Banned
:| Military Coups are never good... *looks at Pakistan* Hopefully early elections are called and the will of the people are guaranteed instead of forced conservatism or secularism/kemalism puppet government. :|

Just let democracy lead to change. The military has to always be under the civilian government.
You're empirically wrong.

A more secular Turkey would be an incredible thing and one of the few positive accomplishments of 2016. Here's hoping we get a statement or some clarifications soon but given recent events I tend to expect the worst outcome. Hopefully I'm wrong.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just had dinner with one of my best friends last night who's Turkish. His sister was just telling him she was had a sixth sense that something big was impending.

Hoping for a minimum of bloodshed.

Oriel

Turkish coups were generally not that bad. I see the positive side of a secular army steering Turkey away from its current direction.

Yeah, this might be welcomed in many Western capitals, particularly DC......oh lol, I just realised Alex Jones will be calling this a CIA backed coup as Erdogan had been attempting rapprochement with Russia and Assad recently.

Juicy Bob

I feel ashamedly ill-informed about Turkey.

Hopefully the people are not the ones who will be made worse off by any consequences of this.

Beefy

@skynewsbreak
Update - Turkish media reports some hostages have been taken at military headquarters in #Ankara and #Turkey's President Erdogan "is safe"

Link

The Autumn Wind
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, we want this military coup to be successful, correct?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
:| Military Coups are never good... *looks at Pakistan* Hopefully early elections are called and the will of the people are guaranteed instead of forced conservatism or secularism/kemalism puppet government. :|

Just let democracy lead to change. The military has to always be under the civilian government.

Erdogan was moving the country towards a dictatorship. Plus Turkey isn't Pakistan. The military has done coups before to move the country back to a secular path. So long as a pro-secular element is behind this, and they can secure the country quickly and with minimal bloodshed, Erdogan being ousted is a good thing.

As somebody with close family that was intending to visit other family there in the near future for awhile despite my strong opposition to it for all the existing reasons prior to this...well...yeah.

MCN

Banned
UK embassy.
Boris will save them.

Here he is, flying in personally.

2809413633.jpg

jstripes

Banned
Turkey got taken over in less than 20 minutes

It's not that hard if you control the military. You've already got troops all over the country, you just need to deploy them. Keeping the plan secret and coordinating it is the difficult part.

If this goes without bloodshed, it might not be a bad thing... Hope it will be over soon and a safe situation is established.

Is it possible the western powers supported this coup because Erdogan was not being tough enough against IS?
No way. Can you imagine the outfall from that, when NATO members support coups in other member states.

Zapages

In Pakistan military coups are generally welcome since the army is secular and actually gets things done compared to usually corrupt pro-islamic politicians. Much of Pakistan's history actually sees the most progress when the army is in control.

In fact there was an article this week where people in Pakistan are begging the military to take control: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pakistan-poster-campaign-calls-martial-law-pop-across-country-n608441

I am calling Bullshit on that!!! Pakistani military are the ones that have lead to the wahabi- islamification of Pakistan... Anyone here remembers Zia ul Haq in the 80s with the creation of the Taliban? Also it was Yaya Khan and Zulifqar Bhutto leading to the mess in Bangladesh (formerly East Pakistan)... The 2000s Musharaf and his corruption with the whole situation in this war on terror....

People of Pakistan sick and tired of the corruption, but they don't realize how corrupt the military of Pakistan is until they get to know some of them.

Anyway this topic is about Turkey and not Pakistan.

I always laugh at the statements of members of "well organized militias" who claim that in the case of a tyrannical government using the military against its own people they would take their AR-15s and fight back. As if the US military, with its tanks, aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, drones, and nukes, would give a fuck about a bunch of rednecks with pistols.
I always laugh at statements of people who don't think that large swaths of US military would aid the rednecks and ignore the deadly possibility of guerilla warfare within the US citizenry.

The tools of the US military would be useless against those people anyways.

NATO should gear up to help take out Erdogan if needed. I can't believe I'm saying this about a democratically elected leader, but clearly in this case it's for the greater good, if the coup is secular.

That fucked over its colonies though, plunging them into decades of deadly civil war.

There was a short period of peace after decolonization and independence. Civil wars broke out soon after because there were movements supported by both American and Soviet blocks that tried to seize power. Just some of many proxy wars of the Cold War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom