• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, some people I know are in Istanbul right now. Any idea what this means for tourists?
Currently, I reckon a lot of them will be told to stay put. With airports, roads etc down there aren't many options I think. I remember when it happened in Egypt a lot of tourists were simply stuck there for a period of time.

qazqaNii

Currently in Turkey didnt even notice it till i saw this thread. No wonder i heard some cop sound..

The situation as i have understood so far is that a small group from the military has done this. This group is some followers of the fethullah group apparently. Whom got caught working with conspiracy stuff or something like tha.

Joeytj

Banned
What the fuck... Did Erdogan really have this much opposition within the government and the state as a whole? Not even the media is putting up much of a fight, holy shit.

This must've been days or weeks in the making.

trembli0s

Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.

In Turkey? It's a complicated relationship. Depends on where you lie on the religion vs secular line.

I didn't see any good outcomes with Erdogan accreting power to himself though.

If this quick and relatively bloodless, the world will be better off

A coup is dangerous. Countless people can get killed, a country can be ruined. The cost it can have in the long term might not even out the odds of removing one degenerate, even if he is as awful as Ergodan. Stay safe Turkey-GAF. I hope for the least violent outcome:(

Ovid

How the fuck is CNN and MSNBC not covering this?

Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump TrumTrump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.

Turkey's coups often ended up being somewhat positive. The military is very strongly Kemalist and tends to have a coup, ban Islamist parties, then hold an election a year or so down the line.

Condom

can't believe the shit we've been seeing in recent years, this is going to be quite some interesting time in the history books

Ihyll

This might be a good thing...the military is very secular and I think they want less religious influence. However I hope no innocent people are killed.

Has a military coup ever brought positive change?

The Salvadoran military coup of 1979 arguably... although that was a coup of younger military against older, more violent military. Country was headed to civil war, but the coup ultimately allowed for free elections to be held, instead of a defacto military dictatorship.

Quirah

My moms were on the road they still can't get the European side of Istanbul because military took over it. I am living kinda close to Police Department and I heard gun sounds.

Damn I am so scared. Army just announced they took the management of all.

Mr Swine

Banned
So has there been a coup in Turkey or not? Some say the military has succeeded, others said they have failed and others say that the PM won't let this happen

Markoman

Visa free travel in Europe has been a Turkish goal for decades. Nothing fishy about that. And frankly, if Erdogan needed to escape into exile, he has the resources to go wherever he wants.

You do realize that Erdogan has a lot of supporters he needs to take care of, don't you?
He's one big asshole, but not a James Bond villain who needs to escape in miniature submarine. But then again, we'll probably never know.

Ah the clash between a secular military and a pro-islamic government in Turkey, just like the 1909 Counterrevolution. Stay safe Turkey-Gaf. I don't think Erdogan will go quietly with his supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom