• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriel

If this coup is successful (remains to be seen how it will fair out) I can only hope that the entire Erdogan cult is removed from power and secularism brought back to Turkey.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.

Turkish coups were generally not that bad. I see the positive side of a secular army steering Turkey away from its current direction.

This has happend before, even with other NATO nations during the Cold War. As long as there's still order and a pledge to NATO membership and commitments afterwards they won't intervene.

Ah alright, thanks for the info.

I'm assuming though that every coup has led to secular leadership tho? Or something that NATO preferred, what if its hardline Islamists faction that the OP alludes to?

nynt9

Definitely....
If the military sides with government + people and not the autocratic dictator then they usually transition power back to the people.

Yes, historically this has happened several times in Turkey when Islamist regimes tried to take over.

Please be a secular coup. The people of Turkey need one. I hope this goes down with minimal violence. Fuck Erdogan though. Don't feel sorry for him.

This is how I feel as well.

spekkeh

Banned
Has a military coup ever brought positive change? Erdogan is bad but I imagine this will make everything worse.
Well depends on how you look at it, the Turkish military sees itself as safeguarding the Turkish secular consitution. It has intervened a number of times whenever Turkish presidents wanted to steer the country to Islamism or cronyism. From a westerner standpoint, the military coups sometimes seemed greatly preferable to the alternative.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
honestly fuck erdogan but I hope this goes smoothly and without any bloodshed

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man. Brexit, Nice and this. What a fucking month for Europe. What's next? Are we going to declare war against Italy to get South Tyrol back?

MUnited83

For you.

Military coups have brought positive change quite a bit on some ocassions, but of course it always depends on the specific situation. A example would be the Carnation Revolution in Portugal.

Beartruck

Hopefully its a safe and peaceful transition. Erdogan was making turkey into a laughingstock on the world stage, so good riddance.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I shiver at the thought of the US military doing a coup.

I always laugh at the statements of members of "well organized militias" who claim that in the case of a tyrannical government using the military against its own people they would take their AR-15s and fight back. As if the US military, with its tanks, aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, drones, and nukes, would give a fuck about a bunch of rednecks with pistols.

Zapages

:| Military Coups are never good... *looks at Pakistan* Hopefully early elections are called and the will of the people are guaranteed instead of forced conservatism or secularism/kemalism puppet government. :|

Just let democracy lead to change. The military has to always be under the civilian government.

cebri.one

Well depends on how you look at it, the Turkish military sees itself as safeguarding the Turkish secular consitution. It has intervened a number of times whenever Turkish presidents wanted to steer the country to Islamism or cronyism. From a westerner standpoint, the military coups sometimes seemed greatly preferable to the alternative.

Yap, having an islamic republic in the door of europe is not wanted by any western ally.

Mahir Zeynalov ‏@MahirZeynalov 3m3 minutes ago

Turkish state news agency claims that chief of the Turkish army is taken hostage by military officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom