• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah what eill come after the coup? Another dictatorship thats for sure.

His victory speech about a "New Turkey" and purging the army pretty much says it all, does not take a rocket scientist to see where Turkey is going, but alas that's what the people want, I'm sure he will deliver.

forms

Who the fuck in Europe would want these blood-thirsty neanderthals having full access to travel to EU nations without a visa, or even worse be fully integrated into the EU?

59fcdd636d5ad7e012c5df064666d159

2d81ec9ac814fe3a50da5e61d25a634a

A horrible picture. I sure as hell would not want any of the people beating their prisoners up coming into he EU.

Mr.Sword

Can someone clarify the law that constitutes these kinds of coups? Who has the right to start the coup? Does the minister of defence have to be the one?

Because It seems extremely abusable if a few generals can start a coup "in the name of peace" and clearly this time Erdogan had all the support, so how can this be a constitutional coup like some are suggesting?

Yasir

Who the fuck in Europe would want these blood-thirsty neanderthals having full access to travel to EU nations without a visa, or even worse be fully integrated into the EU?

59fcdd636d5ad7e012c5df064666d159

2d81ec9ac814fe3a50da5e61d25a634a

Yeah fuck you. Neanderthals?

People have lost their lives supporting the government. Which may be shit but it's helluva alot better for the people right now that a military coup. And you have the cheek to call the Turks fucking Neanderthals.

Either you fucking delusion or a racist prick. I cant be bothered to pick one.

Hope you consider those who confuse refugees with immigrants and let them starve, fight, drown and fall in prostitution... Neanderthals too.

Breads

Banned

Having trouble parsing this.

Are you saying this about the Turkish people or their government?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Without fully knowing the motivation for this attempt, my spontaneous reaction is that it's a shame it failed. Turkey with Erdogan is heading in a terrible direction.

yarden24

And at that stage, she wasn't the head of the party when the general election was called.

So again, please let me know where Theresa May got her mandate to become PM

She got it when her party was voted in to rule the UK mate, you at no point voted for a prime minester, you voted for the party and thats what you got

Baki

Hey....so hate to break it to you. But you are a racist.

I hope you aren't European. Because you make us look bad.

kharma45

And at that stage, she wasn't the head of the party when the general election was called.

From the people who voted for the conservative party. That's how our government works. I know exactly where you coming from but that's not how Westminster operates. It was the same with Brown and Major.

oti

Banned
Without fully knowing the motivation for this attempt, my spontaneous reaction is that it's a shame it failed. Turkey with Erdogan is heading in a terrible direction.

It's not as easy as "Erdogan = bad/No Erdogan = good". A successfull coup could have ended in civil war, a power vacuum and ISIS using the chaos for their means. We can at least somewhat calculate what's going to happen next, if the coup was successful this would be next to impossible.

She got it when her party was voted in to rule the UK mate, you at no point voted for a prime minester, you voted for the party and thats what you got

ruling party can give peerages to people, in which they can serve in the cabinet.

being voted in as the party doesn't give you powers as wide as to make a peer then install as PM.

I know our constitution isn't written, but you can't be making stuff up like that.

edit: it's happened before with Brown and Major, how exactly is it democratic?

goomba

Banned

Let me guess... you also supported the illegal invasion and overthrow of Saddam and Gaddafi and prefer ISIS to them ?

KahooTs

ruling party can give peerages to people, in which they can serve in the cabinet.

being voted in as the party doesn't give you powers as wide as to make a peer then install as PM.

I know our constitution isn't written, but you can't be making stuff up like that.

You should really stop, you don't have a clue what you're on about.

Her party has the mandate, the simply select a leader to be PM.

Well boys and girls, this has been a fine example of how not to undertake a coup.

Too slow .... if you can't move with lightning speed and take over all key installations at the same time then you are fucked from the get go.

It's not as easy as "Erdogan = bad/No Erdogan = good". A successfull coup could have ended in civil war, a power vacuum and ISIS using the chaos for their means. We can at least somewhat calculate what's going to happen next, if the coup was successful this would be next to impossible.

It's hard to see how Turkey could be helping ISIS more but I suppose that you are right.

Solidifies Erdogan power position
Strengthen faith amongst Erdogan supporters
Crack down on any negative Erdogan sentiment within military ranks

The idea that this was orchestrated sounds plausible. Feels like divide & conquer games played at the expense of civilians.

yarden24

like, these are the rules by which your democracy is run, you vote for a party, and they choose a leader to lead the party.
if the PM resigns, the party the people voted in still rules the country,
who they decide represents them is the leader, this is how a party based system works.

its true that in many cases in such a situation new elections would be held, but that is only because there was an upheaval, not because the situation is undemocratic

Real Hero

Solidifies Erdogan power position
Strengthen faith amongst Erdogan supporters
Crack down on any negative Erdogan sentiment within military ranks

The idea that this was orchestrated sounds plausible. Feels like divide & conquer games played at the expense of civilians.

maybe it just failed

kharma45

Because as will be posted for the fourth time on this page, you vote for the party. The queen is the one who technically appoints the PM.

It's not just Brown and Major. Also Callaghan, Churchill and others. Since 1900 we've had 22 PMs with 13 of them coming to power not through an immediate election win https://fullfact.org/news/unelected-prime-ministers-common-or-not/

Yes. There's also no guarantee that the coup would have ended up in a more (secular, Kemalist) democratic society instead of military dictatorship like in Egypt.

Corto

For people used to rule of law, freedom of speech, press and religion, and the subjection of the Military forces to the Political Institutions this all affair seems completely alien and backwards. From all sides. Prisioners should be treated fairly. Being military they should be trial in martial court. It's understandable that people that saw friends, family, shot, wounded or killed by these forces will try to enact revenge on captured soldiers. The Governmental forces should act quickly though to capture them putting them to jail until they can go to court.

I hope some sort of democratic normalcy can be achieved as quickly as possible. I'm glad all political forces were against the coup and hope that they don't fall in the temptation of making harsh reactive decisions that could change the future of Turkey distancing the country from a true secular state and defined division between State and Religion. Here's hoping. Godspeed Turkey.

Because as will be posted for the fourth time on this page, you vote for the party. The queen is the one who technically appoints the PM.

It's not just Brown and Major. Also Callaghan, Churchill and others. Since 1900 we've had 22 PMs with 13 of them coming to power not through an immediate election win https://fullfact.org/news/unelected-prime-ministers-common-or-not/

I don't follow what you're saying.

Are you confusing consistency with democracy? Within the technicality of what it is, the choices were presented as selection of prime minister from winning party. At that stage, she was not.

Her mandate isn't democratically given.

Also this is so f*cking fishy, it's almost like Erdogan knew that they were plotting and just let it happen and capitalize later on when he crush them.

This guy is a menace.

That's what it feels like to me. When I said orchestrated I don't mean he instigated the coup himself, but likely had inside information and played his pieces in the best way possible for him.

kharma45

Are you confusing consistency with democracy? Within the technicality of what it is, the choices were presented as selection of prime minister from winning party. At that stage, she was not.

Through the rules of our democracy, it is and it's something that has happened time and again.

PJV3

If she sticks roughly to the manifesto then she is carrying out the mandate of the election result.

oti

Banned
Let's not waste our time with comparisons between the democracy of Turkey and the UK. That's insulting to the UK. Don't be dense.

I support this logic, as it makes the image of tanks literally squashing civilians possibly a mere accident instead of premeditated slaughter -slightly- less painful.

Just no. I feel bad for watching that video, but that shit is 100% unacceptable. I don't care who's running the country, how popular he is or isn't, what your views are, or who's attempting the coup or for what reasons. That stuff cannot be permitted. Period. I don't pretend to know a damn thing about the inner workings of Turkey, but it sure as hell doesn't take an expert to see how wrong that is. Find the people that were in that tank. Please.

A section of Istanbul got up and protested.

Stop it m8
Yeah bud, that's exactly why it sparked protests throughout the whole fucking country and now on every national day and Gezi protests anniversary, Taksim and the nearby premises are always shut off to the public. What's your point, anyway? What does it matter whether the people spoke against this dictatorship or not in regards to your point? People have tried to demand better, but they were ineffective. You have got some nerve, calling a person a traitor when you're safe and sound in the UK. I can assure you, as a Turk who was born and raised in Turkey, that there are many more people in Turkey right now who rejoice Erdoğan has suppressed the coup many more than people who lament that Erdoğan's going to use this coup as leverage to strengthen his iron fist.

Not sure why thousands of Erdogan supporters protested in the streets of Rotterdam last night...
Why are you living in a modern free country when you support a guy who will set your country back for hundreds of years?
They are there to import the same value to your country.

I now understand why my dad from Istanbul never wanted to have anything to do with the Turkish community

Yeah bud, that's exactly why it sparked protests throughout the whole fucking country and now on every national day and Gezi protests anniversary, Taksim and the nearby premises are always shut off to the public. What's your point, anyway? What does it matter whether the people spoke against this dictatorship or not in regards to your point? People have tried to demand better, but they were ineffective. You have got some nerve, calling a person a traitor when you're safe and sound in the UK. I can assure you, as a Turk who was born and raised in Turkey, that there are many more people in Turkey right now who rejoice Erdoğan has suppressed the coup many more than people who lament that Erdoğan's going to use this coup as leverage to strengthen his iron fist.

Both can exist at the same time.

I being one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom