• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clessidor

This is a pretty weird part of the constitution anyway. It seems like a reset clause for a country that always goes down the same route. Turkey has a long way to go.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just made like all the "right f revolution/resistance" some constitutions have. For example like here in Germany's Basic Law:

All Germans shall have the right to resist any person seeking to abolish this constitutional order, if no other remedy is available.

Of course it's not that specific like the Turkish one with the military. But I think it's based on the same idea to make necessary stuff legal when it comes to protect the constitution.

that goes without saying

but it also goes without saying that all sections of turkish society rose up last night to make sure the coup was unsuccessful.

you should be emboldened by what they did, and mourn the heroes we lost last night.

Rather than falsely characterise what happened last night.
It still doesn't change the fact that this will reinforce Erdoğan's tyranny, and with it, the power of his followers. Erdoğan's the only winning party here. And that is terrifying.

orochi91

This is a pretty weird part of the constitution anyway. It seems like a reset clause for a country that always goes down the same route.
I found this amusing graph on Reddit, which corroborates your point:
coupsxgqsy.jpg

Erdogan has already used the term "New Turkey". He'll change the constitution to his will and the opposition won't be able to do anything about it but watch.

This is a pretty weird part of the constitution anyway. It seems like a reset clause for a country that always goes down the same route. Turkey has a long way to go.

It's an interesting checks and balance system to prevent religious/oppressive rule in an area of the world where it cycles over and over.

Not saying it's a great solution, but it's interesting. I didn't know they had that kind of system before today. It's essentially their mandate, but with him probably about to decimate the Armed Forces and it already being staffed by Yes Men, he's pretty much gonna hollow them out and seize full control.

Final steps to all-out dictatorship, I guess.

Keasar

Reading on Swedish DN.se that the EU is basically supporting Erdogan.

I get the point why, military coups being quite unacceptable, supporting the "democratically elected government", but this is Erdogan we're speaking of. His rule should be the reason why Turkey should not be allowed to join the EU at the moment cause he has been acting like a dictator rather than a democratic leader.

I read earlier today the constitution essentially allows the army to stage coups in order to reset Turkey back to secularism if it turns too far into religious rule (as I guess the case is with Erdogan). By purging the army like this, doesn't if defy their own constitution?

This coup was orchestrated by just one sector within the military. The army is not being purged, just the rebel faction within the military.

oti

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if it was just made like all the "right f revolution/resistance" some constitutions have. For example like here in Germany's Basic Law:

All Germans shall have the right to resist any person seeking to abolish this constitutional order, if no other remedy is available.

Of course it's not that specific like the Turkish one with the military. But I think it's based on the same idea to make necessary stuff legal when it comes to protect the constitution.

Things like this are vague for a reason. The very specific nature of the Turkey legislation suggests that the military is seen as the body to "correct" or reset the country when it sees the need to do so. But yesterday showed that the people of Turkey will not let that happen again after the last three successfully coups. I'm sure some people were in favour of the coup but they didn't take their fight to the streets. Which was smart.

It still doesn't change the fact that this will reinforce Erdoğan's tyranny, and with it, the power of his followers. Erdoğan's the only winning party here. And that is terrifying.

that's a different sentiment to what you expressed.

the people should get on their feet and demand better then surely?

Ac30

I get the point why, military coups being quite unacceptable, supporting the "democratically elected government", but this is Erdogan we're speaking of. His rule should be the reason why Turkey should not be allowed to join the EU at the moment cause he has been acting like a dictator rather than a democratic leader.

The EU will do what it's always done, string Turkey along. They ain't getting in.

RE lover

What a summer... Waking up to shocking news is becoming the trend it seems. First brexit, then nice and now Turkey. What's next?

Believe me and I'm a devoted Muslim,
Politics is ruining my Religion to the level of unbearablity.
People are starting to accuse each other faith and devotion based on their political stance.
I'm far removed from the area, and even religion, really, but that's sad and unfortunate to hear :(

oti

Banned

The chances of anyone publicly supporting the coup were always zero. You want to give Erdogan even more ammunition? You want his supporters to riot in the streets in Germany and other parts of Europe? And again, Erdogan is way more controllable than a power vacuum.

spekkeh

Banned
I saw that on BBC news, but the reporter read out 104 detained, whereas the ticker said 104 dead. On the other hand the official number of detainees is over a thousand. If they truly were killed though, hoo boy, that's some North Korean level purge.

Kabouter

I saw that on BBC news, but the reporter read out 104 detained, whereas the ticker said 104 dead. On the other hand the official number kf detainees is over a thousand. If they truly were killed though, hoo boy, that's some North Korean level purge.

Dutch national broadcaster is reporting 1563 arrests of military personnel.

Not sure why thousands of Erdogan supporters protested in the streets of Rotterdam last night...
Why are you living in a modern free country when you support a guy who will set your country back for hundreds of years?

Baki

Disturbing to see a large number of people on this thread championing a military coup which resulted in civilian deaths. Despite the civilians & the opposition parties being clearly against it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So I was reading on twitter and many people seem to believe Erdogan is behind this? Kinda hard to believe for me tbh. need more proof.

People say this because they think that Erdogan is capable of such a thing. But there is no evidence for it that I am aware of.

Do we know yet who was behind that coup?

Now that Erdogan is back in control he will probably blame whoever he wants to blame.

Yasir

that goes without saying

but it also goes without saying that all sections of turkish society rose up last night to make sure the coup was unsuccessful.

you should be emboldened by what they did, and mourn the heroes we lost last night.

Rather than falsely characterise what happened last night.

This x100. Vast majority of the Turkish people wanted the coup to fail. It was not supported by the people.

More than anything it's a wake up call for edrogan.

Iceternal

Like I said earlier , congrats Turkey , you made your choice
Enjoy your dictatorship and stay the fuck away from the EU and from the West.

Jasper

The EU will do what it's always done, string Turkey along. They ain't getting in.

Who the fuck in Europe would want these blood-thirsty neanderthals having full access to travel to EU nations without a visa, or even worse be fully integrated into the EU?

59fcdd636d5ad7e012c5df064666d159

2d81ec9ac814fe3a50da5e61d25a634a

orochi91

Not sure why thousands of Erdogan supporters protested in the streets of Rotterdam last night...
Why are you living in a modern free country when you support a guy who will set your country back for hundreds of years?
Because he likely won't?

If you're alluding to the introduction of Sharia Law into Turkey politics, like ISIS, that won't happen considering only 12% even favours the idea of Sharia Law over the current government system.

Real Hero

Disturbing to see a large number of people on this thread championing a military coup which resulted in civilian deaths. Despite the civilians & the opposition parties being clearly against it.

its become popular to say moronic civilians don't deserve a voice anymore because they don't know what's best for them.

oti

Banned
Like I said earlier , congrats Turkey , you made your choice
Enjoy your dictatorship and stay the fuck away from the EU and from the West.

I get what you're trying to say here but the way you say it is terrible. People can be against a coup and against dictatorship at the same time.

orochi91

Who the fuck in Europe would want these blood-thirsty neanderthals having full access to travel to EU nations without a visa, or even worse be fully integrated into the EU?
Are you talking about the idiots who launched the coup?

Nearly 200 people are dead because of their actions, and 1000+ injured.

Also, neanderthal? Citizens in Turkey are rightly pissed given the situation, get off your high-horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom