• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
Not really bringing back, for certain crimes, as far I understand the legal situation in Turkey, like high treason it was never fully abolished.

its fucked up... most of those soliders were probably just following orders thinking theyd "save the country" ...

MMaRsu

Yeah bud, that's exactly why it sparked protests throughout the whole fucking country and now on every national day and Gezi protests anniversary, Taksim and the nearby premises are always shut off to the public. What's your point, anyway? What does it matter whether the people spoke against this dictatorship or not in regards to your point? People have tried to demand better, but they were ineffective. You have got some nerve, calling a person a traitor when you're safe and sound in the UK. I can assure you, as a Turk who was born and raised in Turkey, that there are many more people in Turkey right now who rejoice Erdoğan has suppressed the coup many more than people who lament that Erdoğan's going to use this coup as leverage to strengthen his iron fist.

Good. They deserve the dictator prick.

I hope for sane minded Turks that they come to other more western countries who will not impose religious laws upon them.

Not sure why thousands of Erdogan supporters protested in the streets of Rotterdam last night...
Why are you living in a modern free country when you support a guy who will set your country back for hundreds of years?

I've always frequented poorer neighbourhoods in Rotterdam with a lot of Turkish people (their restaurants and grocers offer the best quality/price). Not once did I meet any negative Erdogan sentiment. It's like everyone just blindly supports this guy.
I think their background has something to do with it, they're probably not the most well educated. Plus I think national pride, identity and Islam plays a big part. Anti Erdogan = Anti islam = the west not wanting an Islamic nation to succeed. That is also what's been flooding the Turkish/Dutch Facebook community since this happened.

The plotters committed disgusting attrocities against the civilian population. They seemed to not have the best interests of the population as a priority.

And now Erdogan can use the cruelty of the plotters to his advantage. What a fucking disgraceful situation.

MMaRsu

I've always frequented poorer neighbourhoods in Rotterdam with a lot of Turkish people (their restaurants and grocers offer the best quality/price). Not once did I meet any negative Erdogan sentiment. It's like everyone just blindly supports this guy.
I think their background has something to do with it, they're probably not the most well educated. Plus I think national pride, identity and Islam plays a big part. Anti Erdogan = Anti islam = the west not wanting an Islamic nation to succeed. That is also what's been flooding the Turkish/Dutch Facebook community since this happened.

Pretty much if you are anti erdogan you are anti islamic and maybe even considered anti Turkey to some of these people. They seem ignorant. Nvm, they are ignorant.

orochi91

CNN Greece reporting those people might be coupists.

What is also making its rounds on social media apparently are photographs of coupists being beheaded. Again, CNN Greece reporting on that. Just don't forget to not believe everything you see or read in the coming fallout.
I can totally see that happening.

Pissed off citizens have no business holding and punishing those captured soldiers.

The military and police need to step in fast and apprehend the rogue soldiers; get them away from rabid crowds, ASAP.

NateDog

Can someone explain exactly what happened in last 6 hours or so? The last thing I was up for was when Erdogan was just starting to talk on TV after reports of bombing at the airport came in.

orochi91

Can someone explain exactly what happened in last 6 hours or so? The last thing I was up for was when Erdogan was just starting to talk on TV after reports of bombing at the airport came in.
The faction that launched the coup got royally fucked.

No support from the rest of the army, the political parties (including oppositions), the citizens or the police.

Erdogan stands to come out of this incident more powerful than ever.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I said "spontaneous reaction". Because, agan, Erdogan being in power is awful. Turkey needs to move toward becoming a secular democracy, not a theocratic dictatorship. Especially if they ever want a chance at getting into the EU. With how things are currently going that thought is laughable.

So that's why I was spontaneously a bit disappointed that these people, who clearly disagree with what Erdogan is doing, failed. But no, of course doing it this way isn't right. People have, unfathomably, voted for the country to take this direction, so I guess they'll have to live with that.

It's not as easy as "Erdogan = bad/No Erdogan = good". A successfull coup could have ended in civil war, a power vacuum and ISIS using the chaos for their means. We can at least somewhat calculate what's going to happen next, if the coup was successful this would be next to impossible.

Yes, of course.

Let me guess... you also supported the illegal invasion and overthrow of Saddam and Gaddafi and prefer ISIS to them ?

No. But this is sort of the opposite, in some ways. Religious rule is a huge disaster whenever it happens.

bidguy

Banned
yea not sure if fake or not but i saw some pics of coup soliders without heads

article says they got beheaded by the folk

Vastag

The military coup didn't achieve its objectives and the goverment regained control.

It is surreal seeing turkish planes bombing Ankara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA5wsshJm8&feature=youtu.be, launching bombs in the middle of the city.

Lucumo

Can't believe tanks have crushed those poor people...

What do you expect? That's the life of meat shields, called forth by Erdogan. Instead of saying they should throw themselves in front of the soldiers, he could have told them to stay home.

Anyway, has anything meaningful happened in the last ~6 hours?

orochi91

From the Economist:

His achievements in over 11 years as prime minister are equally impressive. Since AK came to power in November 2002, economic growth has averaged some 5%. Inflation has been tamed. The army has been brought under greater civilian control. Mr Erdogan has made more progress than any previous political leader in giving Turkey’s Kurds greater rights. In 2005 he achieved something that had eluded all his predecessors: the start of membership talks with the European Union.
Pretty good stuff.

However, the article goes into detail about the chance of his achievements being undermined due to slowing economy, increasing deficits and potential social instability.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If civilians are beheading coup soldier those civilians needs to be arrested and charged with murder.

How Turkey is in he EU is beyond me as everything they do is act like a third world country.

Dont see any good outcome out of this. I feel sorry for those who want a more free and liberal turkey. It is also disgusting that needless deaths happen.

I did learn a lot by reading this thread about the odd constitutional thing for the military. I do think in some cases force will be needed to guarantee liberties but the way things have been handled and gone is disgusting.
I genuinely believed that Turkey was becoming a more secular country and things were improving but it is sad to see things falling to such lengths. Having such a tyrant as a popular leader is never a good sign.

Wish the Turkish people the best but cannot see any positive outcome. Revenge from the winning side is guaranteed.

bidguy

Banned
its baffling how those soldiers arent in custody but instead surrounded by enraged folk who apparently go as far as behead them

Mivey

its fucked up... most of those soliders were probably just following orders thinking theyd "save the country" ...
But that's the thing: As long as the foot soldiers were actually following commands, they should be fine (more or less, probably still going to lose their jobs), only the officers up the chain of command committed treason. Could still be a larger group, of course.

bidguy

Banned
But that's the thing: As long as the foot soldiers were actually following commands, they should be fine (more or less, probably still going to loose their jobs), only the officers up the chain of command committed treason. Could still be a larger group, of course.

the foot soldiers seem to be the ones surrounded by enraged people. i honestly fear for their safety no matter what rank

@AFP
#BREAKING Turkish military helicopter lands in Greece, 8 request asylum: Greek police

/this pic is being circulated with the news:
4WRtIo6.jpg

Looks like a Black Hawk.

orochi91

its baffling how those soldiers arent in custody but instead surrounded by enraged folk who apparently go as far as behead them

It almost feels intentional.

If the citizens kill off the captured rebel soldiers, then the government won't have to do it themselves. Like, where the fuck are the police and special forces? Why haven't these rebel soldiers been removed from mob custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom