• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
It almost feels intentional.

If the citizens kill off the captured rebel soldiers, then the government won't have to do it themselves. Like, where the fuck are the police and special forces? Why haven't these rebel soldiers been removed from mob custody?
Yes of course, the more outings of 'the people standing up to the conspirators', the stronger the base of Erdogan. It's straight out of dictator handbook.

Conspiracy theories, sympathising with Soldiers killing civilians. Attempts to blame others for running over civilians with tanks.

This thread is fucking disgusting.

Look at some of the events that happened in the last 2-3 years..

Erdogan election night fraud
Total control of media - state runned tv
Gezi park Protests
Suicide bombings
Downing of Russian aircraft
Incursion within Iraq
Military coup
Calling for government institutions to be cleansed
Now bringing back the death penalty and rumors of Beheading

All happened in a nato member state that's currently in the process of joining the EU. How utterly fucked is Turkey?

correojon

Conspiracy theories, sympathising with Soldiers killing civilians. Attempts to blame others for running over civilians with tanks.

Well you can´t deny that something´s fishy. I mean, if the rebelling forces were only a small part of the army, where the hell is the rest of it? Why haven´t they come out to defend the civilians?

Also, it really was a shit move from Erdogan to tell people to go unarmed to face the tanks, a leader´s priority should be the well-being and safety of his people.

The army opening fire against civillians is inexcusable, I agree with you on that.

avaya

Turkey is no where near joining the EU. Especially with Erdogan.

They are clearly just being strung along because the EU needs their cooperation in dealing with the Syrian crisis.

Multiple states would veto their accession.

Carcetti

Gezi park Protests
Suicide bombings
Incursion within Iraq
Military coup

All happened in a nato member state that's currently in the process of joining the EU. How utterly fucked is Turkey?

Turkey has no business in being in EU and I hope they stay out for a decade or two at least.

Sijil

A shame where Turkey has gone under Erdogan, full blown hardcore Islamist. A hotbed for ISIS and JAN supporters. Last time may uncle went to Gaziantep, where our family buys carpets in wholesale, people spat at him when they found out we were Shia. We never had this problem back in the 90's.

Does that mean they have some say in EU rulings in general while not being a official member of the Union?

Not formally, but obviously some decisions have been made in the interest of maintaining good relations with Turkey.

Turkey has no problem in flexing its arm when it's not happy.

Which will probably happen after this failed attempt.

hoos30

Turkey is no where near joining the EU. Especially with Erdogan.

They are clearly just being strung along because the EU needs their cooperation in dealing with the Syrian crisis.

Multiple states would veto their accession.
Yeah, they're never getting in. The EU will continue to move the goalposts to prevent it.

SkylineRKR

Turkey was doing great a few years ago, tourism also flourished.

But since Erdogan its like they are being warped back at least 50 years.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You are confusing the Council of Europe, with the European Council. Yes, those are two very different things.

Nah, the "European Union" and the "Council and Europe" are totally separate entities.

Not formally, but obviously some decisions have been made in the interest of maintaining good relations with Turkey.

Turkey has no problem in flexing its arm when it's not happy.

Which will probably happen after this failed attempt.
Ahh I see. Thanks.

From the Economist:

His achievements in over 11 years as prime minister are equally impressive. Since AK came to power in November 2002, economic growth has averaged some 5%. Inflation has been tamed. The army has been brought under greater civilian control. Mr Erdogan has made more progress than any previous political leader in giving Turkey’s Kurds greater rights. In 2005 he achieved something that had eluded all his predecessors: the start of membership talks with the European Union.

Pretty good stuff.

However, the article goes into detail about the chance of his achievements being undermined due to slowing economy, increasing deficits and potential social instability.

Orlov

What do you expect? They are trained to kill.

The one who tells barehanded people to go against tanks is responsible. I don't remember anyone was killed until Erdogan motivated people to attack army. And then you expect soldiers surrounded by mobs to act rationally? Sure. Power hungry ISIS supporting as*hole will bring whole region to catastrophe.

jm89

I don't think joining the EU is even that popular these days, turkey will not care that much.

Don't see the EU having a bright future with big players like the UK leaving..

The one who tells barehanded people to go against tanks is responsible. I don't remember anyone was killed until Erdogan motivated people to attack army. And then you expect soldiers surrounded by mobs to act rationally? Sure. Power hungry ISIS supporting as*hole will bring whole region to catastrophe.

Some killings / shootings may have been in panic, like this one: https://mobile.twitter.com/bm21_grad/status/754091281060683776/video/1 (not gory, but probably nsfw)

But in other instances the military has shown gross disregard for their compatriots.

I don't think it's that simple, because Erdogan seems to have done quite a lot of good things in his first few years (at least to my knowledge). It's just that after that he started to go more and more full retard and has by now, at least from a foreigner's perspective, squandered whatever goodwill he earned during his first years in office.

It seems a bit like pre- vs. post-Iraq War Tony Blair, I guess.

avaya

I don't think joining the EU is even that popular these days, turkey will not care that much.

Don't see the EU having a bright future with big players like the UK leaving..

Lol. Maybe you should visit the Brexit thread to realise the national self suicide committed by the UK.

msv

Moreover, they were actually trying to fight the military. There were people trying to ram the military with a bus and everything. And as you can see now, with the torture, beatings, and the footage of people attacking the military tanks, some of it was in defense at least. It's definitely not straightforward.

orochi91

Oh, only 12% are in favor of minorities and infidels being murdered. Thank god uhmmm alah.

/s
Your point?

That statistic clearly shows how this notion of Turkey becoming some Islamist state is so overblown.

This thread has a fair bit of people assuming Sharia Law is gonna sweep over the nation due to this failure of a coup, lmao

@AFP
#BREAKING Turkish military helicopter lands in Greece, 8 request asylum: Greek police

/this pic is being circulated with the news:
4WRtIo6.jpg

Looks like a Black Hawk.
I hope asylum is granted. Otherwise I fear for the fate of these soldiers.

Orlov

But in other instances the military has shown gross disregard for their compatriots.

That helicopter shooting on people in the square was horrendous and unjustifiable. That was just straight f*cked up.

But we can't expect no one getting hurt when people surround 50 ton killing machine. That's just catastrophe waiting to happen.

Total control of media - state runned tv
Gezi park Protests
Suicide bombings
Incursion within Iraq
Military coup

Stuff like this is why they won't be a member for decades.

forms

That helicopter shooting on people in the square was horrendous and unjustifiable. That was just straight f*cked up.

But we can't expect no one getting hurt when people surround 50 ton killing machine. That's just catastrophe waiting to happen.

When did that happen, the chopper firing at civilians I mean?

I hope asylum is granted. Otherwise I fear for the fate of these soldiers.

@DailySabah
LATEST - Greek authorities say they are ready to cooperate with Turkey, what is necessary will be done

@DailySabah
LATEST - Pro-coup group at Gölcük Naval Base has taken over frigate, head of Turkish fleet taken hostage, Greek mil. source says

Here's one of the 16 Turkish frigates:

That's why you don't coup if large parts of the population are against you. They probably knew full well this would end up the way it did (/e: as in people going against them).

Looks like it was all status updates like: "we're taking TRT" and "there are police at the bridge but haven't made a move" etc

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom