• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Your point?

That statistic clearly shows how this notion of Turkey becoming some Islamist state is so overblown.

This thread has a fair bit of people assuming Sharia Law is gonna sweep over the nation due to this failure of a coup, lmao
I just wanted to point out that, while its not enough of a % to warrant worry of Turkey turning into an Isis state, it's still sad it's 12% - you know?

Theonik

I hope asylum is granted. Otherwise I fear for the fate of these soldiers.
I am not sure if getting involved is in Greece's better interest. Granting political asylum is possibly a moral conundrum if the soldiers were not involved in the coup. However, Turkey has for years been looking for an excuse to invade Greece so this might be very risky.

orochi91

I just wanted to point out that, while its not enough of a % to warrant worry of Turkey turning into an Isis state, it's still sad it's 12% - you know?
I'll agree to that.
Christ you keep posting this as if it's something positive. Even .01&#8453; is shocking considering WHAT Sharia law is.
Lemme know when thought policing becomes a reality, because until then, nothing much can be done about what that 12% thinks.

You're completely overstating their clout or influence over the rest of the country.

Look at some of the events that happened in the last 2-3 years..

Erdogan election night fraud
Total control of media - state runned tv
Gezi park Protests
Suicide bombings
Downing of Russian aircraft
Incursion within Iraq
Military coup
Calling for government institutions to be cleansed
Now bringing back the death penalty and rumors of Beheading

All happened in a nato member state that's currently in the process of joining the EU. How utterly fucked is Turkey?

+ Thousands of Kurds and Turkish forces Kurds in an undocumented civil war in South East Turkey.

Erdogan and the majority of its supporters are blood thirsty scumbags.

Pluto

But that's the thing: As long as the foot soldiers were actually following commands, they should be fine (more or less, probably still going to lose their jobs), only the officers up the chain of command committed treason. Could still be a larger group, of course.
Following illegal orders is not an excuse, soldiers have the duty to refuse those orders. If they carry them out they are as guilty as the ones who gave the orders.

Of course the question is if these orders were illegal, the turkish military has the duty to defend the secular state and is authorized to overthrow the government but I think that part of the constitution has been changed??? I should probably look that up.
Not that it matters anyway, with Erdogan winning he'll make sure the coupists get punished.

dakun

They're no where near being Islamist; barely 12% even favour the idea of Sharia Law over the current government system.

only 12 percent.. that's an easy 8-9 million people that actually admit to wanting Sharia Law.. let alone the people that might sympathize with it but don't actually admit it.

That's a huge fucking problem if that many people are for it. And it's only getting worse.

Arnie7

Banned
@DailySabah
LATEST - Greek authorities say they are ready to cooperate with Turkey, what is necessary will be done

@DailySabah
LATEST - Pro-coup group at Gölcük Naval Base has taken over frigate, head of Turkish fleet taken hostage, Greek mil. source says

Here's one of the 16 Turkish frigates:

That's why you don't coup if large parts of the population are against you. They probably knew full well this would end up the way it did (/e: as in people going against them).

Thanks.

I don't think they knew that. They took a gamble hoping his supporters would just shy away and join the coup momentum. The mood really changed once he set his supporters in street. That changed the tide.

Violet_0

Banned
I am not sure if getting involved is in Greece's better interest. Granting political asylum is possibly a moral conundrum if the soldiers were not involved in the coup. However, Turkey has for years been looking for an excuse to invade Greece so this might be very risky.
both are NATO members and Greece is part of the EU. Erdogan might be a madman, but that's just not going to happen

orochi91

only 12 percent.. that's an easy 8-9 million people that actually admit to wanting Sharia Law.. let alone the people that might sympathize with it but don't actually admit it.

That's a huge fucking problem if that many people are for it. And it's only getting worse.
It's the 3rd lowest percentage in the Muslim world, behind only Albania and Kazakhstan.

Those kind of people have always existed in Turkey. That makes the notion of Turkey becoming an Islamist state pretty ridiculous.

SgtCobra

I don't think joining the EU is even that popular these days, turkey will not care that much.

Don't see the EU having a bright future with big players like the UK leaving..
They do, they're mad that they're not eligible for an EU membership at the moment and they won't be for a very long time.

I would worry more about the UK than the EU right now.

you utter traitor all I can say.
lol

oti

Banned

That sure must be an amazing excuse to get the NATO out of the way first.

Orlov

that was an F16 firing on unarmed civilians.

No way it was F16. These shots are coming from a gun which is stationary, which is impossible for F16 to achieve. Also they are not so unarmed, there are videos of crowd shooting on planes/helicopters with small arms. I don't know if it was some militia, police or just armed civilians.

Beheading? That's some real democracy which was successfully defended last night /s.

I don't think they knew that. They took a gamble hoping his supporters would just shy away and join the coup momentum. The mood really changed once he set his supporters in street. That changed the tide.

Exactly.

CSJ

That's not a helicopter, that's a fighter jet. Unless Turkey gained control of Airwolf.

That's a helicopter, I don't know why you think it isn't, you can even hear it.
Rate of fire is a bit slow for most fighters out there and the way it's tracking is akin to that of a mounted rotary canon.

F16s/other gun runs sound like a babby a-10.

This is an F16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4c08RojAc

I also believe it was engaging an armed target considering it's receiving green tracer fire, I don't think everything should be taken at immediate face value though - civilians might have been killed, they also might not have by this.
The video I saw shows fire in the distance, not at the people on the street.

mcrommert

Banned
It's the 3rd lowest percentage in the Muslim world, behind only Albania and Kazakhstan.

Those kind of people have always existed in Turkey. That makes the notion of Turkey becoming an Islamist state pretty ridiculous.

This is a member of nato...saying that makes the whole thing sound crazy...being run by an Islamist strongman. Seriously need to lock all of the middle east off from the rest of the world cutting off all communication for 100 years and then see if they have made any progress.

orochi91

This is a member of nato...saying that makes the whole thing sound crazy...being run by an Islamist strongman. Seriously need to lock all of the middle east off from the rest of the world cutting off all communication for 100 years and then see if they have made any progress.
If NATO gave a shit about that small segment of Turkey's population, then they would have done something about it.

Or not, since it has zero bearing on Turkey's invaluable geopolitical status in that region.

Axial

Awful, simply awful. Looks like last nights coup attempt and the unfolding events right now will push Turkey even further away from secularism and into the hands of radicals.
They're no where near being Islamist; barely 12% even favour the idea of Sharia Law over the current government system.
Well, if it's just 12% who's for beheading the soldiers who participated in last nights tragic events, then we really shouldn't worry, right? Law and order at it's finest. Why not even give visa-free access to the Schengen zone for 75 million people from whom barely 12% are radicalized?

Whilst I wouldn't certainly go to beheading the pilot, if you saw the videos and pictures of then mangled bodies on the streets they were beheadings and much worse. Certainly wouldn't want the pilot who committed that war crime unpunished (ofc not by beheading).

They were Erdogan supporters.

Fuck em.

They were innocent people. Get outta here with that shit.

How would you like it if your family members were gunned down in the street left to die with their intestines strewn out their bodies bleeding out? Bloody hell does this comment show a great lack of empathy.

Theonik

What are you basing that on?

They're both NATO members, are they not?.
NATO doesn't get involved in war between NATO members. Last time was in Cyprus in the 70s were the Turkish army captured northern Cyprus taking advantage of a coup. Both nations were in NATO.

Also Turkey has threatened war on Greece as recently as the 90s and military tensions have greatly intensified again since the early 2000s.

Turkish military procurements are also alarming for Greek authorities. Rattling the hornets nest is the last thing they want to do.

that wasn't a helicopter firing on civilians.

that was an F16 firing on unarmed civilians.

it is a war crime.

hope the pilot is beheaded.

Get a grip, in that case those beheading are no better than the soldiers who killed, in fact worse, since they are all spouting about democracy and rule of law.

orochi91

Well, if it's just 12% who's for beheading the soldiers who participated in last nights tragic events, then we really shouldn't worry, right? Law and order at it's finest. Why not even give visa-free access to the Schengen zone for 75 million people from whom barely 12% are just radicalized?
The visa situation is irrelevant to the point I was addressing with that poster, regarding Turkey's supposed future as an Islamist state.

If the EU decides to grant Turkey visa-free access, then that's their business. EU citizens are free to protest such a decision, if they feel that threatened by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom