• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm89

They do, they're mad that they're not eligible for an EU membership at the moment and they won't be for a very long time.

I would worry more about the UK than the EU right now.

lol

UK leaving the EU and with europe moving towards the far right will not make the EU attractive a lot of countries in the future. I can see erdogan pulling out of negotiations if he already hasn't.

EU can't afford to lose more countries like the UK which is something they will have to worry about.

MMaRsu

And we also have GAF members show no concern for gun downed civilians saying 'f*ck 'em'.

This thread is a shitshow. I'm out.

Do we? Can you link to these posts? Equally as horrible, but the president said they should oppose the army.

The people who died, died because their president told them to go and fight in the streets. This is a fact

Ladies and gentlemen... 2016...
I'm not really surprised that the suriving coup troops go so far as fleeing to Greece by chopper or taking over Navy frigates instead of surrendering and why fighting has been going on till now. If they surrender they'll either get beheaded by angry mobs or will get sentenced to death in one of those "courts in a democratic country that a certain democratically elected president has absolutely no influence on".

Don't really see where they could flee to either though without getting deported back to Turkey in return for not pissing off Erdogan/gaining favor with him. Lybia? Syria?

Do we? Can you link to these posts? Equally as horrible, but the president said they should oppose the army.

The people who died, died because their president told them to go and fight in the streets. This is a fact

And luckily the user has been banned as mods are quick on the job because rational people don't go round victim blaming. I'm sure if people saw the video they'd have 1 ounce of empathy.

The double standards on display is amazing. Erdogan was obviously careless and wrong telling them to go down to the streets but that is no freaking excuse to gun them down I'm sorry to say. Just cause they are supporters of Erdogan and have different viewpoints, ones that we may disagree with (and not necessarily even know), no bloody excuse.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
As much as I dislike Erdogan, I really don't think a coup would be the right way to go.
I've been pondering along the same lines. But democracy as a system is inherently incapable of handling dictatorships like Erdogan's, just because the environment is not a democracy anymore.

I'm not really surprised that the suriving coup troops go so far as fleeing to Greece by chopper or taking over Navy frigates instead of surrendering and why fighting has been going on till now. If they surrender they'll either get beheaded by angry mobs or will get sentenced to death in one of those "courts in a democratic country that a certain democratically elected president has absolutely no influence on".

Don't really see where they could flee to either though without getting deported back to Turkey in return for not pissing off Erdogan/gaining favor with him. Lybia? Syria?

Talk about frying pan into the fire.

Shiggy

UK leaving the EU and with europe moving towards the far right will not make the EU attractive a lot of countries in the future. I can see erdogan pulling out of negotiations if he already hasn't.

EU can't afford to lose more countries like the UK which is something they will have to worry about.

EU doesn't want Turkey, especially not Erdogan Turkey, as a member state.

It's a shame this coup failed. This will be devastating to the Turkish society, future democratic development, and Turkish economy (to be more precise, the tourism sector). Worst of all, it will lead to MANY deaths on top of those killed last night.

SPTnaUQ.png

I don't think they knew that. They took a gamble hoping his supporters would just shy away and join the coup momentum. The mood really changed once he set his supporters in street. That changed the tide.

But that had to be expected, just as it had to be expected if they managed to kill / capture him. If they didn't expect it, they're complete idiots.

BigAl1992

The EU is in a trade war with Russia and handling it quite comfortably. Brexit has only served to harm the UK and has actually increased support for the EU in countries where there was building eurosceptism as a direct result of what's happening to the UK. I think the EU won't be too fussed about Turkey.

UV-6

I hate Erdogan to the bone, always have, but I got to give it to him. He is a smart fucker (relative to the rest of Turkey). He'll get exactly what he wants and there's no one in Turkey that can stop him. He's got it locked down.

And luckily the user has been banned as mods are quick on the job because rational people don't go round victim blaming. I'm sure if people saw the video they'd have 1 ounce of empathy.

The double standards on display is amazing. Erdogan was obviously careless and wrong telling them to go down to the streets but that is no freaking excuse to gun them down I'm sorry to say. Just cause they are supporters of Erdogan and have different viewpoints, ones that we may disagree with (and not necessarily even know), no bloody excuse.
There are plenty of people here that want soldiers that have surrendered to be beheaded. Let's hope they get dealt with as swiftly by the mods, eh?

Arnie7

Banned
Possibly fud but reports on twitter suggest former commander of Turkish Air Force, General Akin Ozturk, said to be behind coup attempt in Turkey.

Feels like something out of The Rock film from Bay. Surreal.

270720151604046995033_2.jpg

1429284002633.jpg

MMaRsu

Possibly fud but reports on twitter suggest former commander of Turkish Air Force, General Akin Ozturk, said to be behind coup attempt in Turkey.

1429284002633.jpg

Not so surreal since Erdogan was dismantling all in the army who disagree with him

There are plenty of people here that want soldiers that have surrendered to be beheaded. Let's hope they get dealt with as swiftly by the mods, eh?

What the hell are you trying to say? It's not a pissing contest with the mods lol - I'm sure the mods will deal with that how they see fit - I never mentioned the beheading post there once in my post but was replying to the other guy. fwiw I already said that post is disgusting. But that wasn't what my post was about.

1429284002633.jpg
Would explain the massive air support the coup forces had. Would also correlate with the reports a few hours ago that a general level officer had been arrested.
Wonder how many weeks it'll take for him to be sentenced to death. Probably not too long.

MacBosse

As much as I despise Erdogan I am pretty sure he and his party is the only force capable of somewhat stabilizing Turkey right now.

A destabilizied Turkey would be an utter nightmare for the whole world.

They should not have allowed:

A) Erdogan to make the pre-flight speech on FaceTime
B) Erdogan to fly then land
C) TRT and CNN Turk to continue

The above 3 did them in.

Johnny M

The scariest thing is a turkish MP asking to bring back dealth penalty (it was abolished in 2004) that and erdogan coming back could end in a really ugly purge alas soviet style.

The scariest thing is a turkish MP asking to bring back dealth penalty (it was abolished in 2004) that and erdogan coming back could end in a really ugly purge alas soviet style.

Yep.

"I don't like you. Let's call it TREASON!!!!!" And you get the death penalty.

I hope this puts any discussion of Turkey entering the EU to rest for at least another 500 years.

Axial

Judging by twitter a lot of folk from Turkey think the same. Strange goings on indeed, if he didn't stage it he certainly knew it was coming and used it to his advantage.
There was alot of strange things going on last night. Twitter pics of gatherings in Ankara of Erdogan supporters turned out to be from 2015 according to reverse imagesearch.
The footage showing a helicopter opening fire on civilians is shot from such an angle(atleast the couple of clips I saw) that you can't really tell who's being fired upon and you can hear shots from both sides. The helicopter was shut down by an F16 later on but early reports from when the whole thing started in the evening and when troops were blocking off bridges and airports we're indicating that the F16 circling around Ankara we're part of the coup. The only footage I saw where soldiers could be directly blamed for civilian casualties was the incident with the tank driving off while surrounded by protesters while some of them on top were struggling/fighting with the crew.

Agremont

that wasn't a helicopter firing on civilians.

that was an F16 firing on unarmed civilians.

it is a war crime.

hope the pilot is beheaded.

I'm pretty sure it's a helicopter. Vulcan cannons don't sound like that.

Also, beheadings have no place in this world. And before you say it, no, two wrongs don't make a right.

TCRS

Banned
They should not have allowed:

A) Erdogan to make the pre-flight speech on FaceTime
B) Erdogan to fly then land
C) TRT and CNN Turk to continue

The above 3 did them in.

It was badly and hastily organized coup. How many soldiers where there anyway, 1500 or something?

They didn't take out Erdogan, they didn't control the media and they did it at 10 pm instead of 3 am or something.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Erdogan already equated the coup with ISIS terrorism. Expect a thorough political cleansing.

jm89

EU doesn't want Turkey, especially not Erdogan Turkey, as a member state.

It's a shame this coup failed. This will be devastating to the Turkish society, future democratic development, and Turkish economy (to be more precise, the tourism sector). Worst of all, it will lead to MANY deaths on top of those killed last night.

And in the end i don't think turkey(erdogan) will want the EU either.

It was badly and hastily organized coup. How many soldiers where there anyway, 1500 or something?

They didn't take out Erdogan, they didn't control the media and they did it at 10 pm instead of 3 am or something.

According to news reports over 2,839 soldiers have been arrested.

Baod4iyl.jpg

Condom

Yep.

"I don't like you. Let's call it TREASON!!!!!" And you get the death penalty.

I hope this puts any discussion of Turkey entering the EU to rest for at least another 500 years.
So a coup is not treason now? What?

Besides it is fun to see 'violence is never the answer' kind of people supporting a coup without much popular support. Makes me understand better how right-wing military junta's get their support.

Details are murky but it looks even less.

Turkey has polarized and secularists are becoming fearful to step out the door. The Turkey I once knew is over. AKP mobs in the streets attacking and beheading soldiers? My mind still cannot comprehend the images I'm seeing.
Yeah, AKP and MHP supporters are scary people. I'm petrified of them, both ideologically and mentally.

MMaRsu

lol lord no

you use military hardware to attack unarmed civilians then you get what is coming.

Why, the civilians are attacking you per order of the president?

I am not condoning shooting down innocent civillians, but the president tols people to go out and oppose the army.

Serbia would have been a better bet than Greece. Erdogan is universally despised there.

Greece has more to lose than gain by granting these soldiers asylum. After the Turkish military tried to implicate Greece in the previous failed coup against Erdogan, I can't imagine they carry too much sympathy in Greece.

Serbia would have been a better bet than Greece. Erdogan is universally despised there.

Greece has more to lose than gain by granting these soldiers asylum. After the Turkish military tried to implicate Greece in the previous failed coup against Erdogan, I can't imagine they carry too much sympathy in Greece.
Guess they just looked for the quickest way to get out of the country without having to fly through the air zones of several countries (risking to be shot down or forced to land) and hoped that Greece is still enough anti-Erdogan to actually grant them Asylum. At this point the coupist on the frigate might have a better chance to survive though. But where can you flee to with a ship that size? The only countries in reach that wouldn't deport them back are active war zones or lawless.

Tecnniqe

Banned
lol lord no

you use military hardware to attack unarmed civilians then you get what is coming.
Ok but the president told them to take to the streets, sending unarmed people against vehicles of destruction. Not to mention those trying to surrender gets beaten, stabbed and beheaded by the mobs while police is watching.

Surrender > death penalty
Fight > death penalty

Only thing you can do is run away, which means if you get sent back probably also result in death penalty.

I just watched a video where a 20 something tried to surrender and get out of his tank, unarmed, while the mob hit him, kicked him in the face an threw gas grenades down into the tank as they tried to climb out.

This should also be punished.
And yet you call for beheadings of soldiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom