• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

I just scrolled through my twitter feed and saw footage of a tank driving over civilians..saw the crushed body's i almost barfed..scrolled fast down but now it is stuck in my head...fuck...

You follow the chain of command. You think they had a vote on who wanted to be in a coup?
Since it was not orders issued during not wartime, you know where the orders originate from, whether they are legitimate or illegimate in the context of what you told to do and to whom (like firing on your own citizens).

Arnie7

Banned

WTF

What's the reasoning for this?

"The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled.

We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years."

Screen-Shot-2015-03-23-at-10.28.13-AM.jpg

Branduil

I'm beginning to think this whole thing was staged by him.

I don't know about staged but him being aware of the coup and allowing it to go forward while he's out of the country certainly seems possible.

Either way he's not going to let a crisis go to waste. Gotta follow the example of his idol Hitler.

Regginator

It was also alot less messy than hanging people, both for the executioner and the victim. At least in theory. Like much in the Quran (or the Old Testament for that matter) it was a reflection of the realities way back then.
Nowadays? It's just to kill the victim in the most brutal and barbaric way possible while making for nice gruesome video material to be used as propaganda.

I agree. There wasn't a wide variety of executing people back then, basically only decapitation and hanging, of which like you said beheading was quicker (for both parties). Nowadays you see people like ISIS using little paring knifes while taking up to 5 minutes to behead some one, fucking insane. I'm sure there are dozens more, quicker and "humane" (how ironic it may sound) ways to do it now.

Turkey has mandatory military service. The soldiers are just following orders.

I keep thinking about this. I was in the USAF for 10 years. What would I had done?

You dont follow illegal orders. But what does that mean? Some are obvious. If i were told to kill my coworker on the spot I would not do so even if a general ordered me. Easy

If my entire squadron was put on alert from "high" and told to secure a bridge or secure an area, why would I not? Military members are not political and dont have time to cross-reference news to see the situation. Not easy.

The 3rd version is if they knew it was a coup but were told they were defending the countrys constitution and rights of its citizens. I have no idea what to do here. I guess its a judgment call but saying no to your unit would be hazardous. Shitty situation to be in.

But to all the troops that hurt the civilians that is fucked. Even if they were supporters to the regime they are still who they were sworn to protect. And the civilians should not be harming the troops that were not being violent.

This is a shit show and one i am thankful i never had to contemplate. I cant make my mind up now let alone if i was in the situation.

Branduil

With the haphazard and tentative way the coup was attempted, even while they must have the consequences for failing, I'm beginning to think this attempt was reactive rather than active, i.e. they knew the hammer was coming down soon anyway, and they had nothing left to lose.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the coup being staged sounds like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory. how could you even hope to keep something like that a secret? taking advantage of the coup, sure, but erdogan actually being involved in launching it sounds crazy.

Klyka

Banned
the coup being staged sounds like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory. how could you even hope to keep something like that a secret? taking advantage of the coup, sure, but erdogan actually being involved in launching it sounds crazy.

I am sure he didn't stage it, but I am not unconvinced that he knew about it, let it happen to gain advantage of it.

More and more media start reporting this too. A staged coup is a perfect way to clean out any resistance.
How do you stage a coup of this size? Do they mean they influenced troops to participate? 2100+ is a lot of people. They couldn'tbe in the know. They are going to die or be severely punished. This isnt burning a government building down and using it for your benefit a la Hitler. Maybe they had knowledge like conspiracy theorists say about Pearl Harbor but staged seems a bit far. And they did lose control for a bit and it wasnt certain the populace was going to fight it. Hell the rest of the military seemed to be playing wait and see.

Though it is curious that none of the politicians were killed not even the kidnapped ones. Has to be one of these least destructive coups ever.

Branduil

What seems more likely is that he knew about a faction opposed to him and deliberately provoked them into starting a poorly-attempted coup so he could take advantage of it.

fanboi

Banned
Considering they're pro-erdogan, I don't think you'll get anything logical and normal out of them anyway.

Time for Turkey to completely go to shit. If the majority of the country are dumb fucks who want a dictatorship, let them have one.

I want too see their arguments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom