• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

7threst

How do you stage a coup of this size? Do they mean they influenced troops to participate? 2100+ is a lot of people. They couldn'tbe in the know. They are going to die or be severely punished. This isnt burning a government building down and using it for your benefit a la Hitler. Maybe they had knowledge like conspiracy theorists say about Pearl Harbor but staged seems a bit far. And they did lose control for a bit and it wasnt certain the populace was going to fight it. Hell the rest of the military seemed to be playing wait and see.

Though it is curious that none of the politicians were killed not even the kidnapped ones. Has to be one of these least destructive coups ever.

I agree that staging something like this seems impossible, but a small but influential and loyal group can maybe get others on board who are not in the know of a coup being staged.

spekkeh

Banned
Pro erdogans... You think removing all judges is justified?
Probably traitors anyway. But Heavy Sandvich is apparently banned, and ErdoStans will remain schtum until the discussion moves to a new point.

I really hope my Turkish friends can still flee Turkey before Erdogan crowns himself caliph of Erdostan.

How do you stage a coup of this size? Do they mean they influenced troops to participate? 2100+ is a lot of people. .
2100 out of an active military personnel of 650,000. Lol.

Everybody knew a coup was coming. Those 2100 probably thought this was widespread coup authorized by and with the support of all of Turkey's military brass.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Disabling the Judicial System. Planning to reintroduce the Death Penalty. What could possibly go wrong...

dakun

the coup being staged sounds like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory. how could you even hope to keep something like that a secret? taking advantage of the coup, sure, but erdogan actually being involved in launching it sounds crazy.

to me it feels more like being aware that there is a coup being planned but not preventing it knowing they are to small to succeed. The Aftermath is well planned out though.

With all the surveillance that is going on by the government it's doubtful such a large military coup could be planned without parts of the government being well aware of it.

lLoTHPJh.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The Kurds are fucked :(. How long before Erodgan blames them as well?
The Kurds are fucked, along with everybody non-AKP as well.

The white elephant in the room now being, what happens to a major NATO country controlled by a masks-down dictatorship.

Welp, Turkey would have been nice to visit, but off the table now. Unless they can avoid going full dictator which seems unlikely. Hopefully the reasonable people can get out.

Markoman

the coup being staged sounds like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory. how could you even hope to keep something like that a secret? taking advantage of the coup, sure, but erdogan actually being involved in launching it sounds crazy.

That's exactly the crazy thing about conspiracy theories. At one point it doesn't even matter anymore for the general public.
Let's say someone came out in 1941 and told the German public with clear evidence that the Reichstagsbrand (attack on house of parliament) has been staged by the Nazi party. Do you think they would've protested in the streets. No, at that time Germany was at (total) war and Hitler had ultimate power. Once you are in total control, the things you've done in the past don't matter.

If I was to become a dictator I surely would consider strategies which have worked in the past.

nynt9

That's exactly the crazy thing about conspiracy theories. At one point it doesn't even matter anymore for the general public.
Let's say someone came out in 1941 an told the German public with clear evidence that the Reichstagsbrand (attack on house of parliament) has been staged by the Nazi party. Do you think they would've protested in the streets. No, Germany was at (total) war and Hitler had ultimate power. Once you are in total control, the things you've done in the past doesn't matter.

If I was to become a dictator I surely would consider strategies which have worked in the past.

I mean Erdogan himself has stated that Hitler's Germany was an ideal model of governance.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Disabling the Judicial System. Planning to reintroduce the Death Penalty. What could possibly go wrong...

Judical system was already disabled by previous purges. The only branch that hasn't been touched by Erdoğan/ AKP is the constitional/ supreme court, who has the ability to overturn alot of wrong doings (and they have).

Death penalty can't be introduced because of international treaties.

clemenx

Banned
This all pains me as a Venezuelan. It's a carbon copy to what Chavez did to us. I'm having flashbacks and PSTD.

Every good Turkish person should flee asap.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im going to Turkey next month for holiday, really hope this slows down before that. Also, feel bad for all non-Erdogan supporters in Turkey now. The future is going to be pure hell :(

iceatcs

Holy shit I just saw some photos. Turkey officially shit hole. Thank god I have been there, a beautiful country but no more.

Shame, turn to bad in fast mode.

We're not even a full day after the coup and there's already talk of reinstating the death penalty, judges have been fired and the military is about to go on the chopping block.

My condolences to democratic TurkeyGAF

spekkeh

Banned
Meh, the coupists apparently having no plan to take out the leaders, Erdogan being able to fly around and talk to CNN Turk which is still up, and then land on an airport that was suddenly no longer under control (how does that happen?). Lots of weird things in this coup that it wouldn't surprise me if the coup was infiltrated or staged by a high up in the command, leaving the foot soldiers oblivious (and now dead).
Here's hoping the fled coupists can shed light before Turkey tracks them down.

nynt9

We're not even a full day after the coup and there's already talk of reinstating the death penalty, judges have been fired and the military is about to go on the chopping block.

My condolences to democratic TurkeyGAF

B-but Erdogan was democratically elected! Democratically!

7threst

Im going to Turkey next month for holiday, really hope this slows down before that. Also, feel bad for all non-Erdogan supporters in Turkey now. The future is going to be pure hell :(

You sure you want to do that? If I was you, I would seriously consider cancelling if that's an option.

Zamorro

Judical system was already disabled by previous purges. The only branch that hasn't been touched by Erdoğan/ AKP is the constitional/ supreme court, who has the ability to overturn alot of wrong doings (and they have).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara
Five members of HSYK, Turkey’s highest judiciary board, were also removed, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

Beefy

Kurds and non Erdogan need to flee. The Kurds fighting in Syria need to do so as well, they will be targetted more now.

I suppose I'm piling on at this point (sorry), but please, for your own safety, reconsider this trip.

Klyka

Banned
You know, I know there are tons and tons of things that speak against Erdogan and show exactly the kind of person he is but I feel there is no greater monument to it than his palace:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Complex

If you are a democratically elected leader of a country who is only supposed to serve for certain terms, then you do NOT built yourself a 1150 room palace inside a nature preserve and then overrule the court that told you to get out of there.

That right there is a bond villain building.

As a democratically elected president, you don't live in a fucking bond villain building.

The Turkish government is considering bringing back the death penalty so it can execute those involved in the attempted military coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Mehmet Müezzinoğlu, the ruling Justice and Development Party's Deputy Leader, said the government will introduce a bill calling for the execution of rebel soldiers.

What we know so far about the attempted military coup in Turkey
“We will put forward a motion, which will demand the execution of those who have been involved in the coup attempt," Mr Müezzinoğlu wrote on Twitter.

Following his comments, #Idamistiyorum ("I want death penalty") has become the top trend on Twitter in Turkey. The hashtag has been used more than 23,000 times.

Hell.

Yeoman

Future of all of Europe unfortunately. Democracy will be used to install governments bent on removing secular governments.
What the hell are you actually talking about right now?

Edit: No seriously, how can someone make a statement like this and then bounce the fuck out of the thread?
Are you going to elaborate or???

Klyka

Banned
10 judges from the council of state now arrested, holy fuck he is going all out now.

"Excuse me Mr President sir, but why are you arresting these judges?"

"Don't ask questions, there are some coup soldiers over there that need to be beaten to pulp, go over there, don't look"

It's political propaganda poetry in motion right now.

Like, you can literally see the public being blindsided.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah erdogan is bad so that means we should support a fucking military coup because that's more democratic

Dat liberal logic
It's in the turkish constitution that the military is allowed to overthrow the government if it poses a threat to secularism

From what i heard on the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom