• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

You know, I know there are tons and tons of things that speak against Erdogan and show exactly the kind of person he is but I feel there is no greater monument to it than his palace:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Complex

If you are a democratically elected leader of a country who is only supposed to serve for certain terms, then you do NOT built yourself a 1150 room palace inside a nature preserve and then overrule the court that told you to get out of there.

That right there is a bond villain building.

As a democratically elected president, you don't live in a fucking bond villain building.

Erdogoldfinger

BigAl1992

Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 55s56 seconds ago
UPDATE: Turkey's acting chief of staff Umit Dundar says coup attempt was largely by troops from air force - @Reuters

roytheone

Kurds and non Erodgan need to flee. The Kurds fighting in Syria need to do so as well, they will be targetted more now.

Curious: when will we reach a point where being against erdogan is enough ground to get asylum in other countries since you need to fear being persecuted because of your political opinion?

Some 2000+ judges just got removed.. LOL

But the Erdogan supporters won't care, they'll continue to cheer and worship him no matter what. Scary thing.

Condom

It's in the turkish constitution that the military is allowed to overthrow the government if it poses a threat to secularism
Oh well if the constitution says it...

Jesus Christ

Not even the whole military was behind this, it was undemocratic and not legitimate. Military junta's are not the answer. Erdogan will now take his chance and destroy what is left.

B-but Erdogan was democratically elected! Democratically!

I stand by my defence of a democratic system, despite its failure in this instance.

I would hope that the people of Turkey don't let things get too out of control and check erdogan back to his place

Well, there we have it. Entire Turkish justice system has just been effectively dismantled. Prepare for re-introduction of death penalty in a matter of weeks.

Oh well if the constitution says it...

Not even the whole military was behind this, it was undemocratic and not legitimate. Military junta's are not the answer. Erdogan will now take his chance and destroy what is left.
Who says it would have been a Junta? There have been plenty military coups in Turkey and several of them lead to new elections and more secular governments in the past. That's what the constitution actually tasks the Turkish army to maintain, the secularism that is just getting fired alongside thousands of judges.

Klyka

Banned
I stand by my defence of a democratic system, despite its failure in this instance.

I would hope that the people of Turkey don't let things get too out of control and check erdogan back to his place

They'll check him back to his place.

Back into his 1150 room place that is.

Erdogans supporters went into the streets and hit TANKS with STICKS for him.
The "public" isn't gonna send anyone anywhere unless Erdogan tells them to.

Like,just to put this into perspective again:

This is the president of your country, telling you to go outside, to march on ARMED FORCES that have TANKS and hit them with STICKS.
If the leader of my country, Angela Merkel, said this on television, I would fucking laugh my ass off.

SMS sent from Turkish Republic: We are waiting everyone to the city squares to make secure national will:

VYWWvr.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah erdogan is bad so that means we should support a fucking military coup because that's more democratic

Dat liberal logic
Since militar coups have been able to institute democracy in quite a few cases, yeah it is. The Carnation Revolution in Portugal is still heavily celebrated today, and its the reason we have democracy now.

Condom

Since militar coups have been historically able to institute democracy, yeah it is. The Carnation Revolution in Portugal is still heavily celebrated today, and its the reason we have democracy now.
There already was democracy, it was under threat but still there. Now it will be gone for sure, great job.

We're not even a full day after the coup and there's already talk of reinstating the death penalty, judges have been fired and the military is about to go on the chopping block.

My condolences to democratic TurkeyGAF

Yep. Apparently for pro-Erdogan supporters all that matters is if you are democratically elected, not the fact that you must govern and lead democratically. He has been consolidating more power that he is not supposed to have such as taking away power from the prime minister to the president (him), reforming judiciary system, jailing foreign and local journalists, and shutting down media operations. Work of a cult personality for people to be blind by this and their only news come from state media that they control.

BigAl1992

If they reinstate the death penalty, that's them out of the Council of Europe. The European Convention on Human Rights explicitly forbids the use of the death penalty in Europe.

Kathian

Banned
Erdogan just creating new enemies now. If there is a top plotter involved here they'll be looking to take advantage of this as well.

AAK

Since militar coups have been able to institute democracy in quite a few cases, yeah it is. The Carnation Revolution in Portugal is still heavily celebrated today, and its the reason we have democracy now.

And then you also have examples of Zia Ul Haq And Abdul Fatah Sisi and their Military coups leading into complete dictatorships.

They'll check him back to his place.

Back into his 1150 room place that is.

Erdogans supporters went into the streets and hit TANKS with STICKS for him.
The "public" isn't gonna send anyone anywhere unless Erdogan tells them to.

Then it's the public who will need to make things change.

I'm sorry but they used the system to put an asshole in power, it will be on them to undo the damage.

Dennis

Banned
Good luck Turkey, I sincerely hope one day you regain your secularism

But that is not what Erdogan or his supporters want.

And considering the support for Erdogan we see even in a supposed secular space like GAF and Turkish immigrants around Europe leads me to believe that it is 50 years of darkness for Turkey from here on out.

Mr.Sword

It's in the turkish constitution that the military is allowed to overthrow the government if it poses a threat to secularism

From what i heard on the news

The military's on Erdogan side though, that was a small group that attempted the coup. Is this constitutional? Shouldn't the minister of defense at least be the one to start the coup?

Can someone clarify?

Mii

Banned
Everyone in this topic is confusing me. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? From the looks of things it seems good, but I could be wrong.
It's a big grey area. While a military coup normally is not a good thing, Erdogan has been acting like a dictator more and more, and is dismantling the secularism Turkey was built upon.

If the coup had succeeded and a good transition to a new democratic government was made, it would have been a good thing.

It now has failed and Erdogan is using it to strengthen his position even more and get rid of opposing voices.

What does this mean?

He is doing things now which could trigger much worse coup in my opinion, he is making sure his supporters pack the streets so that cannot happen. That way he gets to dismantle the justice system and constitution while the people on the streets prevent that being stopped.

Everyone in this topic is confusing me. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? From the looks of things it seems good, but I could be wrong.

The coup succeeding without bloodshed could have been a good thing. But it failed and the fallout is looking very, very bad. It has provided Erdogan with an excellent opportunity to weed out opponents to the regime and strengthen his grip on his position.

Turkey will likely move further and further away from the secularist principles it has been founded on and more towards an Islamist fascist regime.

Tyaren

Im going to Turkey next month for holiday, really hope this slows down before that. Also, feel bad for all non-Erdogan supporters in Turkey now. The future is going to be pure hell :(

Hope you will be fine and you very likely will be. Personally, I would never go to and support a country like what Turkey has become. I also wouldn't go to Russia, as magical as St. Petersburg might be.

Also, why do Turks behave like such blood-crazed fanatics? There are way worse videos out there (beheadings and smashed in heads) but even this rather tame video shocked me. It shows how the editorial staff of CNN Turk (not some street thugs!) is trying to basically lynch the soldiers. The police that came to arrest the soldiers has to protect them from the mob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ3tuIv_RI

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Nobody can tell what would have happened if the coup was successful. Maybe it would have been worse. But there was a good chance it was an attempt to get rid off a dictator-like figure.

Since the coup was a failure that dictator can now do whatever the fuck he wants in the name of "finding the ones responsible". Like, say, removing a third of the judges in the country. I'm gonna go ahead and say, probably the ones who disagreed with him. So yeah, this is a fucking bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom