• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckheim

Some 2000+ judges just got removed.. LOL

But the Erdogan supporters won't care, they'll continue to cheer and worship him no matter what. Scary thing.

This is such a sad situation for the people of Turkey and it seems like they are not even aware of what is actually going on (majority at least).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
3000 judges being removed, many of them from the higher courts, and reinstating of the death penalty, and you somehow think this is good?

Just try us, Erdogan & co. Go ahead and try.

I think he's still on page 1.

MUnited83

For you.
Then it's the public who will need to make things change.

I'm sorry but they used the system to put an asshole in power, it will be on them to undo the damage.
Fuck everyone there opposed to him getting jailed and silenced and killed and getting their human fights violated, am I right?

KDR_11k

Oh well if the constitution says it...

Jesus Christ

Not even the whole military was behind this, it was undemocratic and not legitimate. Military junta's are not the answer. Erdogan will now take his chance and destroy what is left.

Constitutions usually contain some undemocratic rules to prevent people from electing someone who will then abolish the democracy or for a majority to vote that they should screw over a minority. That's necessary in any democratic system, the will of the majority does not legitimize everything and countries must decide what rules they want their own political system to follow.

Linkyn

Everyone in this topic is confusing me. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? From the looks of things it seems good, but I could be wrong.

In short, although Erdogan, and the AKP more generally, hold their current position because of electoral victories, many actions in the past few years (violent repression of protests, jailing of journalists, transfer of powers from the legislative to the executive, mass firings within the army) indicate a trend towards a more authoritarian system. Erdogan is far from being an ideal partner in the region, and many of the misgivings that Western (and especially European) leaders have are related to human rights violations.

A successful coup would have gotten rid of Erdogan, and might have led to an overall improvement of the political situation, despite the fact that the action is constitutionally murky. Now that the coup seems to have failed, many fear that Erdogan is going to use this opportunity to remove whatever opposition remains in the country, and the mass dismissals of judges and calls for reinstatement of the death penalty are definitely not great early signs.

Nere

Im going to Turkey next month for holiday, really hope this slows down before that. Also, feel bad for all non-Erdogan supporters in Turkey now. The future is going to be pure hell :(

Even if I won free vacations there I wouldn't go for sure.

God bless Islam, has the highest retention rates, I dunno why businesses don't pick it up.

I am ashamed of my own country and people, thank god I live in the UK and this type of shit is why people voted out.

TCRS

Banned
looks like Greece will send back the 8 soldiers:

In the first official statement on the issue, the spokeswoman said the military aircraft had been accompanied by two fighter jets into Greek airspace and would be returned to Turkey as soon as possible. Suggesting that crisis-hit Greece wanted nothing to do with the bizarre incident, she also suggested that Greece would repatriate the eight military personnel aboard the helicopter.

“The Greek government has been in touch with Turkish authorities in order to arrange the return as soon as possible of the military helicopter to Turkish authorities,” she said. “With regards to the eight arrestees, procedures foreseen by international law will be upheld although it is seriously being taken into account that in their country the arrested stand accused of violating constitutional law and attempting the overthrow of democracy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Since militar coups have been able to institute democracy in quite a few cases, yeah it is. The Carnation Revolution in Portugal is still heavily celebrated today, and its the reason we have democracy now.

This was a violent attempted coup by a faction within the military, not the military as a whole, that seemed to have close to zero visible support among the population on the streets and no support from the opposition parties. You couldn't hardly imagine something further from the concept of democracy if you tried.

The 1980 military coup in Turkey resulted in elections where only parties the Junta approved were allow to take part in, with two of the three main parties actually being formed by the Junta itself.

Condom

Constitutions usually contain some undemocratic rules to prevent people from electing someone who will then abolish the democracy or for a majority to vote that they should screw over a minority. That's necessary in any democratic system, the will of the majority does not legitimize everything and countries must decide what rules they want their own political system to follow.
It's not legitimate if those oppressed don't even support the coup.

That's like blaming the Germans for not getting rid of Hitler democratically after he completely took power after the Reichstagsbrand.

Hitler urged the acting president to suspend civil liberties allowing his party to become the majority and become unopposed...

I'm not seeing how the events are linked?

Pardon my ignorance

Corto

Everyone in this topic is confusing me. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? From the looks of things it seems good, but I could be wrong.

As soon as a coup is started it will be bad no matter what. Most people during the fist hours were expecting that the result of the coup was the lesser evil. Now we're on the aftermath where everything will turn really bad with persecutions, lynching mobs and convenient removal of undesired people.

msv

I also want to note, to the people saying that all of the civilians shot were innocent - from what I've seen last night, some of the shooting was in defense.

There is a difference in shooting peaceful protesters, and shooting people who attack you. Those who attacked the military and got shot in return, are not innocent peaceful protesters. And this is not like protests where people got fed up - this was in the midst of chaos, where the only source they were relying on was Erdogan saying to go out on the streets. A lot of them were not protesting, they were trying to physically fight the military from the get-go.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
God bless Islam, has the highest retention rates, I dunno why businesses don't pick it up.

I am ashamed of my own country and people, thank god I live in the UK and this type of shit is why people voted out.
Brexit happened thanks to Erdogan? I don't get it.

Actually, exactly the kind of thinking that made brexit possible is what causes the events in Turkey now: 'I'm the king of my castle, fuck everybody else'.

hes just a scapegoat now

i dont believe for a second that a 75 year old dude living in america is the mastermind if this coup

Pretty much, I thought it was hilarious that when he said Pennsylvania in his press conference last night all analysts said its impossible

Mii

Banned
More interesting is what is Erdogan's angling with Gulen. He knows this puts him in a face-off with the US. Why does he want this?

nynt9

And more proof

Gulen was far away in america while it was happening

How convenient that gulen was at a safe distance

Gulen has been in America for decades. Hasn't stopped his people from infiltrating Turkish government and causing a schism (that Erdogan ended). But I don't think it's reasonable to assume he's behind this.

Brexit happened thanks to Erdogan? I don't get it.

Actually, exactly the kind of thinking that made the brexit possible is was causes the events in Turkey now: 'I'm the king of my castle, fuck everybody else'.

Brexit happened because fear of immigration and one of the pro brexit leaflets was this, and it worked.

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2016/06/Screen-Shot-2016-06-06-at-13.38.56.png

I voted stay along with my family and we don't want turkey to join the eu ever even if it is in 1000 years.

Hitler urged the acting president to suspend civil liberties allowing his party to become the majority and become unopposed...

I'm not seeing how the events are linked?

Pardon my ignorance
Well, considering Erdogan just fired 2000 judges and completely dismantled the supreme court, we might well be on the way to that. I mean the AKP was pretty unopposed before the coup ... but now? Also freedom and democracy have no value in Turkey and Nazi Germany is a great form of government to aspire to.

More interesting is what is Erdogan's angling with Gulen. He knows this puts him in a face-off with the US. Why does he want this?

Create outrage at an international entity sheltering a nationwide sought criminal to unite the country even more behind his fascist ideology.

And more proof

Gulen was far away in america while it was happening

How convenient that gulen was at a safe distance
He was the master mind orchestrating everything with the help of America or as some religious Arabic figures who are part of the Muslim Brotherhood had you to believe.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Russia is not happy with Turkey. Turkey calls war on US.

What does NATO do? It's like a rogue NATO country at this point. I can't seem them defending what is essecially looking like a dictatorship overthrowing the juridical system.

Fuck everyone there opposed to him getting jailed and silenced and killed and getting their human fights violated, am I right?

I've been dog piled so much I don't know what this means.

I don't like erdogan, he is a cunt and I'm not against the coup as it is completely within the law to happen but the coup wasn't even fully supported by the military.

Not to mention the amount of (surprisingly to me) support that was shown for this guy....

Tyaren

I also want to note, to the people saying that all of the civilians shot were innocent - from what I've seen last night, some of the shooting was in defense.

There is a difference in shooting peaceful protesters, and shooting people who attack you. Those who attacked the military and got shot in return, are not innocent peaceful protesters. And this is not like protests where people got fed up - this was in the midst of chaos, where the only source they were relying on was Erdogan saying to go out on the streets. A lot of them were not protesting, they were trying to physically fight the military from the get-go.

Exactly. May I post this video again? This is the editorial staff of a news agency, not some street thugs, trying to lynch the soldiers. If the police weren't there to arrest them these soldiers were as good as dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ3tuIv_RI

Russia is not happy with Turkey. Turkey calls war on US.

What does NATO do? It's like a rogue NATO country at this point. I can't seem them defending what is essecially looking like a dictatorship overthrowing the juridical system.
Nobody is calling war on anyone. Slow down.

Turkey has been in NATO since 1952. Nothing is going to happen there.

General Directorate of Security asks the citizens to report any social media propaganda accounts that support the coup to them, with screenshots and names. This is repeated by different people on live channels and twitter accounts

AKP people ladies and gentlemen. Zero freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom