• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

The same news agency that refused to report on nationwide (7m people in Istanbul!) and Kurd protests so nothing surprising in that regard.

Yup, they a are a government mouthpiece. Not really suprising.

Not surprising to try and beat the soldiers to a pulp? Or behead them and smash in their heads as in other reports? Are we back in the middle ages?
To think that these people truly think they could/should be part of the EU...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Exactly. May I post this video again? This is the editorial staff of a news agency, not some street thugs, trying to lynch the soldiers. If the police weren't there to arrest them these soldiers were as good as dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ3tuIv_RI
Yeah seen a few video where they surrender and people beat them til their eyes pop out. And you wonder why people are dying. Unless the police protects them in that area the civilians will kill them.
Nobody is calling war on anyone. Slow down.

Turkey has been in NATO since 1952. Nothing is going to happen there.
If US don't give them Gulen guy don't that statement they just made, America their enemies? Seeing as they are "protecting" him?

Yeah seen a few video where they surrender and people beat them til their red pop out. And you wonder why people are dying. Unless the police protects them in that area the civilians will kill them.

If US don't give them Gulen guy don't that statement they just made, America their enemies? Seeing as they are "protecting" him?
The US and Turkey are in the same alliance. They have no reason at the moment to break that. Any statements about this are just for show.

It would not make America their enemy. It would create a diplomatic problem, but both can continue working together in other areas just fine.

Via BBC

US: No request to extradite alleged coup plotter Gulen

Posted at
08:54
US Secretary of State John Kerry has asked Turkey to hand over any evidence it has against exiled Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, who the Turkish government has indirectly accused of being behind the coup. Mr Gulen lives in self-imposed exile in the United States.

Mr Kerry, speaking in Luxembourg, says the US has not received any request to extradite the cleric.

In a statement, Mr Gulen rejected any suggestion he had links to the events, saying he condemned "in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey".

Just woke up

So the US is now asking for official proof of the coup being staged by outside actors?

Erdogan completely dismantling the judicial system?

ORDER IS RESTORED

This is worrying now, could Erdogan be planning something really stupid....
No, he is not going to attack US troops or other countries' troops there. There are probably Turkish Air Force soldiers there that supported the coup they want to arrest. Other soldiers will stand by and do nothing, since it is an internal matter for now. It will be tense, but nobody is stupid enough to get into a firefight.

No, he is not going to attack US troops or other countries' troops there. There are probably Turkish Air Force soldiers there that supported the coup they want to arrest. Other soldiers will stand by and do nothing, since it is an internal matter for now. It will be tense, but nobody is stupid enough to get into a firefight.

Hope so, but given 2016 so far nothing would shock me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Brexit happened because fear of immigration and one of the pro brexit leaflets was this, and it worked.

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2016/06/Screen-Shot-2016-06-06-at-13.38.56.png

I voted stay along with my family and we don't want turkey to join the eu ever even if it is in 1000 years.
No sane European wants Erdogan's Turkey in the EU. Brexiters' reaction to that leaflet would be the same of somebody who controls a bridge, and sees an antagonist approaching the bridge, and instead of taking a stance, goes 'fuck that, I don't want to control that bridge anymore', packs and leaves. To a house next to the bridge.

Hey brexiters, guess what sits between you and those things you want to distance yourselves from. /offtopic

Reckheim

Has Putin/Russia commented about this situation yet? A lot of the governments were supporting the 'democratically elected government' last night but i'd assume Russia wouldn't be that quick to side with them.

People saying if you have half a brain you should leave now, and go where? Its their country as well.

Its a terrible situation only going to get worse but people shouldn't feel the need to leave.

Has Putin/Russia commented about this situation yet? A lot of the governments were supporting the 'democratically elected government' last night but i'd assume Russia wouldn't be that quick to side with them.

Russia has expressed concerns about Russian nationals in Turkey but nothing more afaik.

I'd like to know this as well, the closing of the Bospous Strait is historically seen as economic warfare on the Russian economy and I'm sure Putin is mad they closed it this morning

This is what has boggled my mind, nato and the U.S. Are against the coup?

Even the guy erdogan is pinning this on said he was against the coup..... Let me grab the bbc link were I read that

Edit;

Near the bottom of the article

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36814044

And edrogan doesn't fit that description?

He's not that crazy though.. right?
He is not crazy. He knows what he is doing. He is just a disgusting human being.

This is what has boggled my mind, nato and the U.S. Are against the coup?

Even the guy erdogan is pinning this on said he was against the coup..... Let me grab the bbc link were I read that
Of course the US and NATO voiced they are against the coup. You can not come out and publicly support a coup of an ally. Certainly not when the situation is still unclear. Had they voiced support yesterday, it would have been a major problem today now the coup has failed.

Yeah they have said something similar but who knows what "accordance with the constitution" means, could mean in regards to the coup being part of the constitution.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov highlighted the need to avoid all "bloodshed", saying that "problems in Turkey need to be resolved in accordance with the constitution".

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was "deeply concerned" at reports from Turkey, saying Russia's priority was to secure the safety of Russian institutions and citizens in Turkey. "Moscow hopes that however events in Turkey develop, whoever initiated what's happened, the security of Russian citizens will be protected", he said.

"Turkey is a very important regional power. Of course stability in Turkey and situation there has an impact on the situation in the region so we all want whatever it is that is happening in Turkey to finish as quickly as possible, in a legitimate manner and for the country to return to the path of stability, predictability and order"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36812863

oti

Banned
People saying if you have half a brain you should leave now, and go where? Its their country as well.

Its a terrible situation only going to get worse but people shouldn't feel the need to leave.

If you're not grasping where this is going I don't know what to tell you.

dakun

Turkey is very possibly at a point of no return. If you value having a life in a democratic country they should slowly but surely plan on having a way out.
I have family in Turkey, we are thinking of getting my nephews and nieces to study abroad instead of inside of Turkey. Secure them a place in Europe for a better live.

Axial

From the Reddit livefeed:
General Directorate of Security asks the citizens to report any social media propaganda accounts that support the coup to them, with screenshots and names. This is repeated by different people on live channels and twitter accounts
Even harder times ahead for people who oppose Erdogans authoritarian regime, if true.

dakun

Even harder times ahead for people who oppose Erdogans authoritarian regime, if true.

This is the exact reason political leaders of all opposition partys declared support for "democracy". It was to cover their asses. People pointing at how low the approval was for a coup are delusional if they think people didn't cover their asses for the inevitable aftermath.

Markoman

Some people in this thread need to calm down. Turkey is not going to attack the US, Greece or any other country now. Erdogan is an asshole but not a comic super-villain.

Worst case scenario I can imagine is a former Yugoslavia conflict, Serbia vs. Kosovo situation where NATO and the world won't intervene while Erdogan pursues ethnic cleansing and turning Turkey into a full-blown authocratic islamic state.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Par for the course. Bloody beatdowns of student protests a few years ago. Muzzling press. And so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom