• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people in this thread need to calm down. Turkey is not going to attack the US, Greece or any other country now. Erdogan is an asshole but not a comic super-villain.

Worst case scenario I can imagine is a former Yugoslavia conflict, Serbia vs. Kosovo situation where NATO and the world won't intervene while Erdogan pursues ethnic cleansing and turning Turkey into a full-blown authocratic islamic state.
I mean he's already had issues with the press. And he's fired over a third of judges in the country? And is apparently directing resources to find supporters of the coup on social media?

Obviously he isn't attacking the US. But that second paragraph does seem like something any sane person would be freaking out over?

With all due respect, fleeing will only leave a vacuum and/or echo chamber for erdogan a rhetoric to grow.

the opposition needs to rally and speak out not flee imo

rofl, yea, "speak up" after a "failed coup".

Erdogan is demolishing checks and balances as we speak, the government wants citizens to report others who openly supported the coup

Speaking out against the government right now is how you either get killed or sent to the gulag

espher

Catching up this morning. None of what has happened is surprisingly. This all played out perfectly for Erdogan. Convenient.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is the exact reason political leaders of all opposition partys declared support for "democracy". It was to cover their asses. People pointing at how low the approval was for a coup are delusional if they think people didn't cover their asses for the inevitable aftermath.

Democracy and upholding the constitution, both were said preemptively knowing what might follow.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Some people in this thread need to calm down. Turkey is not going to attack the US, Greece or any other country now. Erdogan is an asshole but not a comic super-villain.

Worst case scenario I can imagine is a former Yugoslavia conflict, Serbia vs. Kosovo situation where NATO and the world won't intervene while Erdogan pursues ethnic cleansing and turning Turkey into a full-blown authocratic islamic state.
I don't see what's 'worst case' in this perfectly likely scenario.

it depends on how much you value their freedom/lives

rofl, yea, "speak up" after a "failed coup".

Erdogan is demolishing checks and balances as we speak, the government wants citizens to report others who openly supported the coup

Speaking out against the government right now is how you either get killed or sent to the gulag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezi_Park_protests

Almost as many civilian deaths as have died in the coup.

Fair enough guys but if not now then when?

Is this not a pivotal time in Turk history?

It's obvious here that there is a push to silence opposer to the government but there needs to be resistance - just silently standing by is going to let things go unchallenged

It's obvious here that there is a push to silence opposer to the government but there needs to be resistance - just silently standing by is going to let things go unchallenged

it's over

This is New Turkey, order is restored, council of mayhem is gone bla bla bla

NHale

More interesting is what is Erdogan's angling with Gulen. He knows this puts him in a face-off with the US. Why does he want this?

It's a show of force for his supporters and also the opposing forces. "I don't have any fear of those Americans! See how powerful me and the people of Turkey really are? We will stand against anyone!"

Nevermind the fact that Erdogan didn't dare to fly to Ankara last night, "opting" by going to the much more peaceful Istanbul... such bravery.

How would you do that? Did you see the crowds going into the street yesterday to support Erdogan? How are you going to speak up if the country itself is divided and the guys in charge are taking over the institutions that should protect you?

El Topo

And edrogan doesn't fit that description?

He's not that crazy though.. right?

No? Please elaborate how Erdogan's policies and reactions imply that he would attack American soldiers. The guy is a corrupt, criminal scumbag and megalomaniac, but he's not a bonafide madman.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZW0K5

Turkish PM: Any country that stands by cleric Gulen will be at war with Turkey

Any country that stands by the Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen will not be a friend of Turkey and will be considered at war with the NATO member, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Saturday.

The government said that followers of Gulen, who has been living in self-imposed exile in the United States for years, were behind the attempted coup by a faction of the military on Friday.

The government accuses Gulen of trying to build a "parallel structure" within the judiciary, education system, media and military as a way to overthrow the state, a charge the cleric denies.

spekkeh

Banned
The speed with which things are progressing, from Erdogans triumphant return amidst a rabble of conveniently present supporters to sacking a third of the judicial system a few hours later, lends an awful lot of credence that at least parts of this were preplanned, and Erdogan is now in a hurry to instate a police state that makes any chance of this coming out impossible.

Jaleel

Looks like the situation in Ankara is calming down:

Turkey’s state-run Anadolu agency says all soldiers involved in the attempted coup at the military headquarters in the capital, Ankara, have been taken into custody.

The report says anti-terrorism police will now conduct a detailed search at the headquarters.

John Kerry:

The United States, without any hesitation, squarely and unequivocally stands for democratic leadership, for the respect for the democratically elected leader and for constitutional process with that regard.

We stand by the Government of Turkey. It is our understanding that things are now calm, that order is being restored. I talked directly with my foreign minister counterpart, Mevlut Cavusoglu, last night at the time where things were still uncertain as to what was happening and expressed my confidence in him and in the Government and our readiness to be supportive.

At this moment, all of our embassy personnel are 100% accounted for and okay. We are working to determine that all of our citizens who are travelling in Turkey are equally well taken care of and protected.

There was obviously an unfortunate loss of life and so we extend our sympathies to all of the families of the victims, and our hope that in the immediate hours here things will remain calm. That there will be a constitutional process, and a legal process, that will deal appropriately with coup-plotters.

But as of this moment, Turkey’s co-operation with us with our coutner-terrorism efforts, in our Nato obligations and in our regional efforts with respect to Syria and Isis have not been affected negatively. All of that has continued as before.

I’m sure people will wonder about allegations of who may have instigated this and where support came from, the United States will obviously be supportive of any legitimate investigative efforts and under due process and within the law, we will be completely supportive of efforts to assist the Government if they so request.

source.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

Yes, this is a pivotal time in Turkish history...the time to stop Erdogan is now past. I doubt any challenge from this point forward will be effective.

Markoman

I mean he's already had issues with the press. And he's fired over a third of judges in the country? And is apparently directing resources to find supporters of the coup on social media?

Obviously he isn't attacking the US. But that second paragraph does seem like something any sane person would be freaking out over?

Exactly, "freaking out" as in posting on internet boards, twitter, facebook, maybe some protests in the streets, showing general condemnation. Did something like this help any of those who were killed in "uninteresting" conflicts all over this planet. Let's be completely honest to ourselves, if Turkey closes the door, no one of us is going to pick up a weapon to fight for those locked behind said door.
That's the bitter reality...

Erdogan will pull of some blackmailing, the whole Böhmerann incident in Germany was a nice way to demonstrate how easily it works with our politicians. He will step by step test out how far he can go, Putin style.

it's over

This is New Turkey, order is restored, council of mayhem is gone bla bla bla

I disagree that it's over

How would you do that? Did you see the crowds going into the street yesterday to support Erdogan? How are you going to speak up if the country itself is divided and the guys in charge are taking over the institutions that should protect you?

Same way people demonstrated against the other dictators...will it be painless, of course not but that's how things are

I'm just trying to understand the mindset, that if not now then when, in 100 years?

Do you realize what the situation is now in Turkey? Like, do you have any idea?

I do, but instead of saying "dark times ahead guys, run away" and just dusting my hands id like to think that opposers to erdogan don't go down without a fight

As naive as that proposition sounds in present circumstances

Oersted

Exactly, "freaking out" as in posting on internet boards, twitter, facebook, maybe some protests in the streets, showing general condemnation. Did something like this help any of those who were killed in "uninteresting" conflicts all over this planet. Let's be completely honest to ourselves, if Turkey closes the door, no one of us is going to pick up a weapon to fight for those locked behind said door.
That's the bitter reality...

Erdogan will pull of some blackmailing, the whole Böhmerann incident in Germany was a nice way to demonstrate how easily it works with our politicians. He will step by step test out how far he can go, Putin style.

Hey man, Putin is a democratically elected leader. We stand firmly behind democracy.

Qvoth

It failed before it was even executed.

Yes, the more and more looking "coup" "fail"

i woke up to this news like 12+ hours ago and didn't follow it, just comes as a surprise
don't know the situation in turkey enough to have an opinion on erdogan, but one thing i can see happening is that him and his party will probably hold the power in turkey for the coming decades bar another coup

dakun

I disagree that it's over

Same way people demonstrated against the other dictators...will it be painless, of course not but that's how things are

I'm just trying to understand the mindset, that if not now then when, in 100 years?

did you see what happened yesterday. If the minority of secular Turks would go out to the streets they'd be greeted by an angry mob of Islamist Erdogan Supporters that are ready for violence.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ohff
i woke up to this news like 12+ hours ago and didn't follow it, just comes as a surprise
don't know the situation in turkey enough to have an opinion on erdogan, but one thing i can see happening is that him and his party will probably hold the power in turkey for the coming decades bar another coup
Well considering the cleansing he's doing in every aspect of the government this seems more and more like a staged opportunity to bolster his stranglehold on the country.

There's no way you can speak up in Turkey right now, especially since everyone there to protect you either gets arrested or is too afraid of doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom