• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
:| Military Coups are never good... *looks at Pakistan* Hopefully early elections are called and the will of the people are guaranteed instead of forced conservatism or secularism/kemalism puppet government. :|

Just let democracy lead to change. The military has to always be under the civilian government.

WRONG. It depends on what side the military is on. Military with people and factions of government against autocratic dictator can be good. Elections are held after these types of coups. See Honduras, Turkey, etc.

You don't have democracy when a dictator is dissolving other government institutions and the powers of the press to consolidate power.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
"Worth noting, the Turkish military has a constitutional clause where they are supposed to overthrow the government if the government poses a threat to secularity"

Based Ataturk.

Holy shit what news to get today. Erdogan is not fit to lead Turkey but I wonder how this will fare with the huge population of secular Turks who do not like Erdogan but are (potentially) about to be under martial law.

Pandy

Don't think they had a Guinness World Records adviser with them during the coup sadly.
I now have a mental image of a bunch of Turkish generals in a room together discussing the progress of the coup, while Norris McWhirter stands in the corner with a stop-watch.

Really hope that's it over.

Kusagari

Turkish military coups usually have good outcomes but I have a bad feeling.

Erdogan was propped up by religious extremists and ISIS will probably take this opportunity to get involved.

NATO should gear up to help take out Erdogan if needed. I can't believe I'm saying this about a democratically elected leader, but clearly in this case it's for the greater good, if the coup is secular.
Nope, nope, nope. You don't want NATO getting involved in anything like this in member states. That is a very dangerous game to play between military allies.

Acorn

It's not that hard if you control the military. You've already got troops all over the country, you just need to deploy them. Keeping the plan secret and coordinating it is the difficult part.
The mechanics of doing this and ensuring you don't have rebels is fascinating if not a little scary.

If the military is for the people's right and having less religious influence on politics, that is only a good thing. Let's just hope this is a well planned coup so we can have not too much bloodshed.

Stay safe TurkeyGAF.

Armaros

NATO should gear up to help take out Erdogan if needed. I can't believe I'm saying this about a democratically elected leader, but clearly in this case it's for the greater good, if the coup is secular.

NATO has stayed out of internal poltical affairs even with Coups. This isn't the first time Turkey has experienced this even as a NATO member.

Cause that's what I want when I join a military alliance, the possiblity that you will be stabbed in the back by everyone in it

boiled goose

good with gravy
People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

You are too naive to understand how "democracy" actually works in other countries. "elected" dictators dissolve branches of government, buy elections, persecute the press, imprison critics, bribe judges and the military, etc.

The best you can hope for is individuals in the military not succumbing to bribes and power and siding with the people.

Jeels

Lol Zapages. I'm a strong believer in democracy but there is quite a bit of evidence than in some coutnries, particularly Pakistan and Turkey, military coups have been a good thing, especially depending on who is in power at the time and how quickly they set up an interim government and new elections.

Yes, you sometimes end up with Islamist Facists like Zia-Ul-Haq in power, that's when its not a good thing - but if it's to remove an Islamist party? Go for it...

In Turkey, if their military coups are always generally good and repels religious fanatics from gaining or maintaining power, why the hell are these secular leaders not just voted in?

Is there no confidence in the election system or mass corruption? Seems weird for a relatively well-adjusted country.

Meadows

Banned
Flightradar showing loads of flights turning away

WoygHCu.png

Plasmid

Wow. Erdogan has gone into hiding with those faithful to him, but where do we go from here? Who will be the first to accept the new turkish government?

THIS IS CRAZY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom