• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

Journalists saying a lot of people in turkey condemn the coup, even non Erdogan supporters. I wonder if that is the true or just the angst.

Speaking for my parents, they just want stability and are fatigued by all the terrorist attacks. They want Erdogan gone but a coup also destabilizes the country so they're struck with him.

No way out basically.

Did the US really need to issue a statement condemning the coup? I mean, what other countries issued a statement aside from Russia and Estonia? Did Germany, France, etc. say anything?

Man some of you guys stayed up?

Or maybe you live in other timezones...

anyway arresting all those judges is truly foolish... alas Erdogan basically got what he wanted on speed boost due to some fools

What is interesting is now we are getting some understanding of the situation

Some translations (by another journalist) for a Turkish journalist who is known to be Anti Erdogan started explain some stuff a few mins ago
https://twitter.com/sahmetsahmet

Journalist @sahmetsahmet says police was to arrest coup leaders yesterday before they mobilise, that led the coup
He says coup was planned for a later date but prosecutor's decision to arrest them scared them. They mobilised immediately,that's why failed

He also says Putschists hoped that PKK or ISIS would stage some attacks during the attempt, and coup would get support from anti-gov parties

He believes that Gulen and his disciples were the "brain" of the attempted coup in Turkey. Important to mention he is fiercely anti-gov

ALSO: Prosecutors decided to arrest this officers yesterday due to their alleged conspiracy agnst other officers to get higher ranks in mil

If true then basically this was premature due to panic

msv

Journalists saying a lot of people in turkey condemn the coup, even non Erdogan supporters. I wonder if that is the true or just the angst.
There's already a witch hunt out for pro coup 'propaganda', so you won't hear anything from them. Of course bolstering pro-government people more, thinking there's literally everyone is against the coup, and only treasonous people are in favor.

sflufan

Banned

Every single political party in Turkey -- even those who despise Erdogan and the AKP -- condemned this incompetent buffonery of a mutiny.

NHale

government is asking people to screenshot and document supporters.

Thankfully there are no programs whatsoever that you could use to photoshop a tweet, right?

What a mess. Not that the coup would end up as being a good thing. I feel for everyone that has to live in Turkey, it does seem like a lose-lose situation and this won't help at all.

sflufan

Banned
Did the US really need to issue a statement condemning the coup? I mean, what other countries issued a statement aside from Russia and Estonia? Did Germany, France, etc. say anything?

Yes, the US needed to issue a statement. The EU issued a statement, Germany issued a statement, etc.

This is how the diplomatic world works.

Just nuke us off the face of the goddamned planet. Kthx

I'm 16 so I don't get the full consequences but I feel powerless and afraid as hell

TyrantII

Every single political party in Turkey -- even those who despise Erdogan and the AKP -- condemned this incompetent buffonery of a mutiny.

That's called distancing oneself from the dumpster fire.

If it was clear this was disorganized and only would fail, you are not going to stick your neck out with the aftermath coming.

Facetime

basically Facetime

Literally. I find it funny that its becoming a meme now
cJkBC0U.jpg

Kain

This "coup" sounds very fishy to me. Looks more like an Erdogan's maneuver to rise as absolute defender of peace (aka dictator) and an excuse to continue with the ethnic cleansing.

This "coup" sounds very fishy to me. Looks more like an Erdogan's maneuver to rise as absolute defender of peace (aka dictator) and an excuse to continue with the ethnic cleansing.

Kurds being attacked isn't only biased to the AKP you know

Erdogan is evil for killing them but his predecessors also did the same

nynt9

True, but no one has doubled down on it like he has, at least in my lifetime. The other factions seemed to be warming up to the Kurds and he destroyed the chances of that.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am i the only one who thinks that "coup" is the wrong word to describe what happened yesterday, isn't "mutiny" more suited? Like they weren't taking control over institutions, but instead they were bombing them. What the fuck was their endgame?

did you see what happened yesterday. If the minority of secular Turks would go out to the streets they'd be greeted by an angry mob of Islamist Erdogan Supporters that are ready for violence.

Read my previous post.

Hold on ill grab it

Edit;

I do, but instead of saying "dark times ahead guys, run away" and just dusting my hands id like to think that opposers to erdogan don't go down without a fight

As naive as that proposition sounds in present circumstances

Snwaters

As if things in the region weren't bad enough. From the New York Times:

With all the crises in the Middle East, the Obama administration took solace in the fact that there was one reliable, democratically elected strongman — a stalwart member of NATO — that Washington could depend on: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey.

No matter how the coup attempt against Mr. Erdogan plays out over the next hours and days, that certainty is shattered.

Mr. Erdogan would almost certainly have to begin a purge of the plotters and probably hunt for other challengers to his authority — extending a streak of ruthlessness that has left many of his NATO allies gasping.

Friday’s events could leave in limbo some of the top priorities of the United States and Europe. They rely on Turkey to help battle the Islamic State, to contain the flow of migrants out of Syria, and to host American intelligence agencies and NATO forces seeking to grapple with upheaval in the Middle East.

The coup attempt “presents a dilemma to the United States and European governments: Do you support a nondemocratic coup,” or an “increasingly nondemocratic leader?” said Richard N. Haass, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, where Mr. Erdogan has often come to talk with Americans influential in the relationship between the two countries.

A military that appeared, on the surface, to be largely under the thumb of Mr. Erdogan is clearly riven with divisions so severe that the chief of staff appears to have been be detained while lower-level officers put tanks on the streets of Istanbul and the air force over Ankara, the capital.

Mr. Erdogan has plenty of enemies, eager to see him weakened or removed from power. Among them are Egypt’s president, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who took power in a coup three years ago. The Russians, led by President Vladimir V. Putin, have tense relations with Mr. Erdogan, who has helped try to depose President Bashar al-Assad of Syria. And Mr. Assad himself would likely be both pleased and amazed if he held onto power longer than Mr. Erdogan.

Link to source

Again, as if things aren't bad enough. Divided military, divided populous (I'm sure that not every Turk is 100% pro-Erdogan) and surrounded by powers that would probably pop a champagne bottle is he/Turkey lost power and influence.

Dark times we live in.

sflufan

Banned
Am i the only one who thinks that "coup" is the wrong word to describe what happened yesterday, isn't "mutiny" more suited? Like they weren't taking control over institutions, but instead they were bombing them. What the fuck was their endgame?

This was absolutely a "mutiny" rather than an actual "coup".

Tyaren

Yes, at least Germany and France did...but just like the US they condemmned it after it was clear the coup had actually failed. ;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man some of you guys stayed up?

Or maybe you live in other timezones...

anyway arresting all those judges is truly foolish... alas Erdogan basically got what he wanted on speed boost due to some fools

What is interesting is now we are getting some understanding of the situation

Some translations (by another journalist) for a Turkish journalist who is known to be Anti Erdogan started explain some stuff a few mins ago
https://twitter.com/sahmetsahmet

If true then basically this was premature due to panic

More like now or never than panic.

Ducarmel

US and Europe kind of have too once we wash our hand of Syria who you think we going to leave that mess to deal with.

Cant have turmoil in Turkey with Syria already in a mess.

True, but no one has doubled down on it like he has, at least in my lifetime. The other factions seemed to be warming up to the Kurds and he destroyed the chances of that.

this whole Kurdish, Turkish thing is a national pride scenario

Ataturk was the biggest perpetrator against Kurds for Modern day Turkey

Hence why some Kurds had to form their own party

Arksy

I'm currently in the middle of being away from news sources for long periods at a time. Can anyone update me as I have limited access to news at the moment?

Kain

Yep, still, Erdogan is taking things up a notch (if we can even use this expression for trying to wipe a race off the planet) and this doesn't look well for kurds :/

Kraftwerk

I understand why people would say a coup is a bad thing and the new leaders might be horrible, but....

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogan. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.

It's so convenient. Why even trigger a coup without a rock solid plan to get their hands on Erdogan? Last night played out like a press tour for a transition to a dictatorship.

If this was a real coup, it's almost as if they knew about it and let it ride to the obvious conclusion.

And I still don't understand why a coup faction would randomly strafe civilians. Has anyone explained that? It comes off as theater. All the guys I saw on livestreams avoided hurting people to the point of putting their own lives in obvious danger.
Because there would never have been any coup if they had waited two more weeks for the Colonel and Major rank officer purge that Erdogan had already announced (the top brass has already gone through extensive purges). Also a wedding yesterday where all the Air Force high brass was attending allowed the coupists to take them all into custody in one swoop and utterly neutered any response by the Turkish Air force till the late morning hours in the process.

It was a reactionary last chance move and they picked the best change they could get in the short time frame they had.

ramparter

Banned
I understand why people would say a coup is a bad thing and the new leaders might be horrible, but....

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogen. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.
And thats exactly how he benefits from this situation. If he has nothing to with it its the best gift he could have hoped for.

Yep, still, Erdogan is taking things up a notch (if we can even use this expression for trying to wipe a race off the planet) and this doesn't look well for kurds :/
pretty much

alas the Kurds aren't organized as they have too many factions to due anything significant, politically
And that's what it looked like. It collapsed within 4 hours, that's not how an organized coup works.

pretty much the only thing it succeeded in was angering the populace

Erdogan haters to Erdogan supporters

MMaRsu

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogan. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.

It baffles me as well.

Tyaren

Try to put yourself in their shoes. ;) In case you don't want to be one of the first to have the newly reintroduced death penalty exercised on, you would declare as fast and as publicly as possible that you have nothing to do with this coup...and that you pray in front of Erdogan's picture before you go to bed each night because you love and admire him so SO much. The political opposition must right now be pissing their pants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom