• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

I understand why people would say a coup is a bad thing and the new leaders might be horrible, but....

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogan. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.

A decent portion of the Muslim world (outside Turkey) reveres him as a strong leader who has quelled the secularism that took over after the Ottoman empire.

oti

Banned
I understand why people would say a coup is a bad thing and the new leaders might be horrible, but....

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogan. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.

Realpolitik

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Try to put yourself in their shoes. ;) In case you don't want to be one of the first the newly reintroduced death penalty is exercised on, you would declare as fast and as publicly as possible that you have nothing to do with this coup...and that you pray in front of Erdogan's picture before you go to bed each night because you love and admire him so SO much.

Or Turks had such bad experiences with previous coups that people genuinely don't want that to happen again regardless the ideology they follow. Holy fuck people!

Ok, what does that have to do with asking to be nuked? What were you even going on about?
I am ashamed to be living in a country with so much scum, under such an evil leader with so much support, with so little prospects of ever fixing the shitshow that is the Turkish society. I feel ready to give up on anything improving in this country, especially in the wake of this failed coup. Hence, I felt like saying "just wipe us all out and be done with it".

I know I haven't made myself clear and that it was an utterly inaccurate and offensive way to express myself. Apologies.

Kathian

Banned
Always love hearing the total disconnect from some people. SA tourist on airline issues;

"Absolute disgraceful service from Turkish Airlines. Now 2.30pm Saturday and not one announcement about what is happening," he says.

"The largest airline in the world that they market as the best airline in the world and this is the scene at a lounge desk, where we managed to find one staff member. There have been no announcements and nothing posted on any airline electronic board so thousands of passengers in the terminal are completely without information about when and if their flights may resume."

nynt9

What does the judiciary have to with a failed military coup? Are the Turkish people really going to let Erdogan become a dictator who can do whatever he wants? What a sad day for Turkey

1- What can his opponents do? His police force kills people, he arrests those who speak against him.

2- His supporters do not care. They only want Islam, and he delivers.

He himself has declared that democracy is irrelevant in Turkey and Hitler's Germany is a government to be looked up to.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...urkey-amid-arrests-and-military-a6938266.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-hitlers-germany-example-effective-government

Damn I would not want to be in that line right now to get out of the country

JlBjL5S.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The reporting yesterday was horrible in part because the "journalists" available from many Turkish outlets were Erdogan stooges. Something he copied directly from his nemesis' Putin's playbook. The BBC hosts were plainly frustrated as "reporters" parroted orders and tactical propaganda.

Further he has the same legions of astroturfers both paid and voluntary. You can see some in this very thread.

And all this is complicated by the fact that he is popular and building a cult of personality as he dismantles Ataturk's secular legacy.

He's a monstrous egotistical little Islamist Putin clone but an unpopular and violent coup is not the way to deal with him. Had it had popular and unified support there may have been a path to stability but yesterday was not that.

Erdogan can now accelerate the destruction of an incredible country and ally. He will swell the prisons and morgues starting today.

Erdogan is a bad guy, but some times I wish gaf had the same hatred for Putin, a far more evil leader.
I'm not sure about that. Putin is ruthless, highly intelligent, cool-headed and calculating. Erdogan is a ruthless megalomaniac and an extremely emotional person prone to aggressive outbursts. I think the latter is far more likely to make really stupid and dangerous decisions in a heated moment.

Anyhow, we definitely need to keep the screws tight on Putin and the sanctions in place, if the West relents and shows weakness and allow Putin to push them around then things will get really ugly in the future, particularly in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

Tyaren

I'm not sure about that. Putin is ruthless, highly intelligent, cood-headed and calculating. Erdogan is a ruthless megalomaniac and an extremely emotional person prone to aggressive outbursts. I think the latter is far more likely to make really stupid and dangerous decisions in a heated moment.

Agree. Both are equally bad. But Erdogan seems way more dangerous and unstable...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The reporting yesterday was horrible in part because the "journalists" available from many Turkish outlets were Erdogan stooges. Something he copied directly from his nemesis' Putin's playbook. The BBC hosts were plainly frustrated as "reporters" parroted orders and tactical propaganda.

Further he has the same legions of astroturfers both paid and voluntary. You can see some in this very thread.

And all this is complicated by the fact that he is popular and building a cult of personality as he dismantles Ataturk's secular legacy.

He's a monstrous egotistical little Islamist Putin clone but an unpopular and violent coup is not the way to deal with him. Had it had popular and unified support there may have been a path to stability but yesterday was not that.

Erdogan can now accelerate the destruction of an incredible country and ally. He will swell the prisons and morgues starting today.

Chances are a coup would have been effective during massive protests like the park ones some time ago.

Nerokis

This is the exact reason political leaders of all opposition partys declared support for "democracy". It was to cover their asses. People pointing at how low the approval was for a coup are delusional if they think people didn't cover their asses for the inevitable aftermath.

You use the word 'delusional'.

All parties of significance, ranging from Erdogan's political opposition to the military chain of command, rejected the coup. The coup failed, partly, because it had no significant institutional support, and because it seemed to have no significant popular support.

It's a huge step to live under military rule again, and if you feel the 2014 elections were fatally flawed, at least Erdogan was likely the people's actual choice. A military coup is the antithesis of democracy, and the very specter of it undermines the democratic process. To the extent a military coup can be a good thing for democracy every once in awhile, it wouldn't meet those qualifications here. Erdogan has become increasingly authoritarian over the years, but that's still not enough. Not yet. For one, there's no popular or mass opposition to him; nothing that would indicate the military would be following the general will by overthrowing him. And partly because of that, not only would a military coup be far less democratic than anything Erdogan has done, but it would likely undermine the country's stability significantly.

So when I think of throwing the word 'delusional' around, my instinct isn't to put it on the people who, say, point to the lack of vocalized support for a coup. If I were to put it on anyone, it would be the people who are acting like there aren't massive, practical reasons for sincerely rejecting a coup, especially for citizens of Turkey.

Quirah

Everyone in country is worried about second uprising that might happen tonight. Clues are showing that this coup is a Gulen's Islamic Group's work.

norinrad

What does the judiciary have to with a failed military coup? Are the Turkish people really going to let Erdogan become a dictator who can do whatever he wants? What a sad day for Turkey

He's going to be there until his 80. The Turkish people ie his supporters have giving him the mandate to stay as long as he wants after yesterday's events.

Everyone in country is worried about second uprising that might happen tonight. Clues are showing that this coup is a Gulen's Islamic Group's work.
Yeah, sure.
I can definitely see a second coup attempt happening tonight when the whole military is on high alert, massive purges and arrest waves have already happened and Erdogan is surrounded by thousands of loyal troops and followers *rollseyes*.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What are you on about?

That "yesterday" it was a wholly secular nation and that the future of that is cloudy. This coup was in some ways a gift to Erdogan, who can now say 'Look! Secularism and freedom are of no use to us!'

In fact, I don't need to put words in his mouth, here's what he said months ago, before any of this:

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...lutely-No-Value-Any-Longer-20160318-0001.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...urkey-amid-arrests-and-military-a6938266.html

Mii

Banned

After the news today, opposition parties may need to consider aligning with whoever organized the prior night's coup. There will be no opposition left in a few weeks if they don't.

Quirah

Not confirmed official information but many people says that the government was going to do operation to arrest these Gulen's Islamic Group's people in military last night. They heard it and tried this coup. It wasn't largely planned work. They just hoped to get Anti-Erdogan's support but they failed.

Here is the Tweet series from journalist who gets some information from the intelligent service. In Turkish, ofc. I can try to translate later

https://twitter.com/sahmetsahmet/status/754293852748541952

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Erdogan: "Democracy doesn't work, to hell with it."

Merkel: "We must respect the rightfully elected leader of democratic Turkey! Tanks have no place in the streets!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom