• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflufan

Banned
The US has had to cease combat ops from Incirlik as Turkey is not permitting US aircraft to take off or land (see New York Times feed).

norinrad

Erdogan is a bad guy, but some times I wish gaf had the same hatred for Putin, a far more evil leader.

When the time comes for us to shit on Vladimir, we will until then you'll have to wait. So far he hasn't done anything and I haven't seen any real facts that makes him a nasty piece of work from where I'm sitting.

Not confirmed official information but many people says that the government was going to do operation to arrest these Gulen's Islamic Group's people in military last night. They heard it and tried this coup. It wasn't largely planned work. They just hoped to get Anti-Erdogan's support but they failed.

About that...
Because there would never have been any coup if they had waited two more weeks for the Colonel and Major rank officer purge that Erdogan had already announced (the top brass has already gone through extensive purges). Also a wedding yesterday where all the Air Force high brass was attending allowed the coupists to take them all into custody in one swoop and utterly neutered any response by the Turkish Air force till the late morning hours in the process.

It was a reactionary last chance move and they picked the best change they could get in the short time frame they had.

Where do you get your information from, random tweets and the state media? You don't just simply walk into the barracks and tell your soldiers "yo dawgs, we gonna do a coup tonight, pick up and let's go!". Especially not in two different cities and coordinated with coup supporters in different arms of the military.

Tyaren

Everyone in country is worried about second uprising that might happen tonight. Clues are showing that this coup is a Gulen's Islamic Group's work.

Not confirmed official information but many people says that the government was going to do operation to arrest these Gulen's Islamic Group's people in military last night. They heard it and tried this coup. It wasn't largely planned work. They just hoped to get Anti-Erdogan's support but they failed.

Here is the Tweet series from journalist who gets some information from the intelligent service. In Turkish, ofc. I can try to translate later

https://twitter.com/sahmetsahmet/status/754293852748541952

Please stop. I think I know what you are up to...

Diffense

I hate when people bring up Brexit in totally unrelated contexts just because they didn't like the outcome. Brexit, a democratic referendum, is an extremely poor analogue to any of ... this. How is supporting Erdogan, a leader with supposed autocratic leanings, equivalent to leaving a political union that actually dilutes your sovereignty and gives you less of a voice in your own country? No...just no.

Quirah

Please stop. I think I know what you are up to...

Well I was just trying to give some information as a Turkish citizen. You can't learn what is going on in Turkey from official news sources because Erdogan's government mostly censores them. You should follow journalists by person to learn some informations.

Arksy

People in my extended family in Turkey have basically gone into hiding. I'm getting updates from Facebook that the Antakya Synagogue has been closed and that they're keeping indoors until things have settled down.

Tyaren

Well I was just trying to give some information as a Turkish citizen. You can't learn what is going on in Turkey from official news sources because Erdogan's government mostly censores them. You should follow journalists by person to learn some informations.

That this Gulen guy is behind the coup is exactly though what Erdogan is spouting all day. There is no evidence whatsoever for this. It also doesn't make any sense...well, for Erdogan it is...

Snwaters

After the news today, opposition parties may need to consider aligning with whoever organized the prior night's coup. There will be no opposition left in a few weeks if they don't.

This is the very thing that many in the US are worrying about right now; Obama has just called an emergency National Security meeting today, the topic of which will probably be that very subject. With the speed in which purges are happening, the next 24-48 hours are going to be critical. Will determine if Erdogan consolidates power or Turkey slides to civil war.

Arksy

Oh no. When did you find out that?

From my father who's keeping in contact with everyone there.....a fair few members of my (very large) family are known to police for political activism and being members of a certain minority. A few members fled to other countries after the LAST coup...where a few members of my family were imprisoned.

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you're parroting Erdogan propaganda regarding Gulen while spreading unfounded gossip about a "second uprising." I'm not sure that's actually helpful to people who are trying to gain any insight into what's going on right now.

jWILL253

Banned
Would someone mind informing me of all the developments regarding this event? The OP isn't clear on what's currently happening, and seems like it hasn't been updated in a while.

BigAl1992

From my father who's keeping in contact with everyone there.....a fair few members of my (very large) family are known to police for political activism and being members of a certain minority. A few members fled to other countries after the LAST coup...where a few members of my family were imprisoned.

Well see what you guys can do to help them, because like I said last night, this is only just the start of something big, regardless of the failure of the coup.

Quirah

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you're parroting Erdogan propaganda regarding Gulen while spreading unfounded gossip about a "second uprising." I'm not sure that's actually helpful to people who are trying to gain any insight into what's going on right now.

Okay I am just asking then. Who did this coup? Military? You should watch video and listen what arrested soldier's talking about. Leftists? Right now CHP's(Leftist Party) leader reading his statement about anti-coup in TBMM. Kurds? HDP's(Kurdish Party) read statement about anti-coup in TBMM too.

By the way I am not Erdogan supporter. Really not.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Ahmet Şık (@sahmetsahmet) is not someone who "parrots Erdogan propaganda" and you do an incredibly brave and hardworking journalist a huge amount disrespect by saying so; the man has been detained by Erdogan's government before and from what I know affiliates loosely with the CHP as his preferred party. He is a trustworthy source.

There are an awful lot of people in this thread who know close to nothing about Turkey, have heard a few passing bad things about Erdogan, and think that qualifies them to spout uninformed rubbish about a very complex country and people.

This is a pretty powerful image from earlier
U3xYEu0.jpg

Arksy

Ahmet Şık (@sahmetsahmet) is not someone who "parrots Erdogan propaganda" and you do an incredibly brave and hardworking journalist a huge amount disrespect by saying so; the man has been detained by Erdogan's government before and from what I know affiliates loosely with the CHP as his preferred party. He is a trustworthy source.

There are an awful lot of people in this thread who know close to nothing about Turkey, have heard a few passing bad things about Erdogan, and think that qualifies them to spout uninformed rubbish about a very complex country and people.

Agree with this, 100%

P.S: Sorry, I didn't respond to your arguments in the Brexit thread. I'll respond when I'm in a position to write a bit more substantially.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The US has had to cease combat ops from Incirlik as Turkey is not permitting US aircraft to take off or land (see New York Times feed).
Didn't they say it kept going as usual and would not be affected?

What about the planes already in the air? Is the base still surrounded and without power?

Snwaters

Would someone mind informing me of all the developments regarding this event? The OP isn't clear on what's currently happening, and seems like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Erdogan moved forward with several military purges in senior and mid ranks. Officers moved forward to try and perform a coup/mutiny. Very poorly handled, dozens of civilians dead, poor planning and incompetence on the up-risers. Put down in short order. Currently purges taking place: soldiers involved in the coup are allegedly being executed in the streets, calls for mob justice on twitter, gov officials being removed from power and Erdogan is consolidating his power. Country sliding towards authoritarianism or civil war.

Fair enough. I did not realize there was a reliable source suggested Gulen is in any way behind the coup attempt. I apologize.

This is the very thing that many in the US are worrying about right now; Obama has just called an emergency National Security meeting today, the topic of which will probably be that very subject. With the speed in which purges are happening, the next 24-48 hours are going to be critical. Will determine if Erdogan consolidates power or Turkey slides to civil war.

Absolutely, the longer it goes unopposed the worse it wil get for the people.

Did some reading on this Gulen fellow ergodan is trying to pin the coup on and what I learnt makes sense as to partly why the judicial system has been purged outside of him wanting no opposition

From the Wikipedia page (link below), Gulen or his supporters are not charged by any Turkish judge for committing any crimes and as such may be deemed unextriteable by U.S. Courts......by amending the constitution to make a coup illegal, removing judges who would not be willing to charge Gulen and then pinning the coup on Gulen- erdogan is basically setting the grounds to "lawfully" make Gulen the guilty party and as hopefully lay the grounds for his extradition and Imprisonment.

Link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_Gülen

What about the planes already in the air? Is the base still surrounded and without power?
Not the US call it seems. Turkey demanded they stop.

“At this time, Turkish authorities are not permitting aircraft to depart Incirlik,” an American military official said on Saturday morning.

sflufan

Banned

Its been affected. I assume planes in the air will be diverted to bases in the Gulf or Germany.

Incirlik is effectively non-operational.

Axial

The efficiency of Erdogans administration is quite surprising. A few hours after a failed coup d'etat and they apparently have lists of names of thousands of conspirators.
Also:
nocomment0wjom.png

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well see what you guys can do to help them, because like I said last night, this is only just the start of something big, regardless of the failure of the coup.
I fear this something big is a hefty speed up of Erdogan's way to a totalitarian, islamist state under his regency.

This has been a hell of a crash-course on the Turkish political situation. Hope everyone impacted by these events keeps their head down for now and stays safe.

Alpende

As bad as this is unraveling it is interesting to see it develop. I have never seen stuff like this happen in my lifetime so it's pretty interesting. Hope everyone is okay of course.

EDIT: Meant to say that I've never seen this happen in countries close to / in Europe. Should have been more precise.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not the US call it seems. Turkey demanded they stop.

Its been affected. I assume planes in the air will be diverted to bases in the Gulf or Germany.

Incirlik is effectively non-operational.
:/ I hope those on the base are safe and that the ones already in the air gets back without issues.

Also publicly announcing journalist names as the opposition during the tense times right now is mighty irresponsible and almost like they want something to happen to them. It also seems they've had that list ready for a long time.

emag

smh at the false flag narrative. No doubt Erdogan is seizing an opportunity for maximum leverage in the aftermath (just as every politician does after every tragedy), but that's far from it being an inside job.

I understand why people would say a coup is a bad thing and the new leaders might be horrible, but....

Might be? There was no realistic scenario in which a coup would have any positive short-to-medium-term impact. A "successful" coup was guaranteed to immediately feature massive fatalities along with a huge crackdown on civil/human rights, similar to what happened in Egypt. In the medium term, civil war would be very likely, creating a new breeding ground for ISIS terror, similar to what happened in Iraq, Libya, and Syria. A failed coup, well, would lead to exactly what we're seeing now -- a consolidation of power in the hands of Erdogan and a heightened resistance to any opposition.

I am really baffled how people are actually defending and praising Erdogan. He is not a good person. And don't give me a lesser of two evils excuse or how all politicians are bad. He is scum who tramples on human rights.

Perfect is the enemy of good. If that's too strong a term for you, try pragmatism or realpolitik.

I'm very much against Erdogan's autocratic tendencies and treatment of the Kurdish minority, but there's no denying that he's been tremendously successful in raising Turkey's status in the world and turning it from a stalled nation into an economic success, creating a much higher standard of living for its citizens, who in turn are hugely supportive or at least accepting of his rule.

I fear this something big is a hefty speed up of Erdogan's way to a totalitarian, islamist state under his regency.

Erdogan's done less to make Turkey as "Islamist" state than Bush 43 did to make the US a "Christianist" state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom