• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
These poor soldiers.

Cx6k0go.jpg

I imagine a lot of them had little meaningful choice in the matter.

Do as ordered and you might end up on the losing side.

Refuse to do as ordered and you might end up on the losing side.

Shiggy

Seeing some turkish people who live in Belgium react on news articles about this, what a beautiful future we have.

Same in Germany. To understand, you just have to look back. Who were those that came in the 60s, then you'll understand. I suppose those people and their kids whom you're taking about aren't well educated and not integrated.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Sioen

Same in Germany. To understand, you just have to look back. Who were those that came in the 60s, then you'll understand. I suppose those people and their kids whom you're taking about aren't well educated and not integrated.
I find it hard to understand them when they are insulting the country they are actually living in now, they could always go back to Erdogan's Turkey.

Shiggy

I find it hard to understand them when they are insulting the country they are actually living in now, they could always go back to Erdogan's Turkey.

It would make a lot of things easier if they just all moved there. But not even they would choose to move there for obvious reasons. So they just continue bringing Turkish conflicts to Europe. That's also why politicians are opposing the EU visa deal here (despite Merkel wanting it).

This is beyond fucked up. WTF!

Asking for blood apparently isn't bannable on here.

Vastag

Looks staged.
Everything going his way and only bolster him.

No offense, but you just discovered literally a couple of hours ago that Turkey is not in the EU. Making this kind of statements needs some kind of proof or understanding of the situation.

kirblar

"Staged" is probably too strong a word- I think "manipulated" is a better one. It's looking more likely that they knew about this, forced their hand with the imminent staff purges, and were completely prepared with a response.

dakun

"Staged" is probably too strong a word- I think "manipulated" is a better one. It's looking more likely that they knew about this, forced their hand with the imminent staff purges, and were completely prepared with a response.

yeah agree. Staged to me would mean that these soldiers were part of it. I'm 100% sure the soldiers went into this thinking they were really taking over. It was manipulated in exactly the fashion you said. At most i think they were surprised by the timing, but 100% prepared for what the response would be. Starting with the fact that the rest of the military stood down when it happened and them making the population take back the country. They knew the sheer number of Erdogan supporters would overwhelm the small fraction of coupist.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah that's probably a better word for it.
your both wrong lol

unless Condom was being joking at Techniqe
He's taking a jab at me, like a few, for thinking they were a part of EU while they are not an apparently only on a few councils.

A few were nice enough to point out my mistake while others not so much, however it looks like he lost nothing and gained everything.

Yeah that's probably a better word for it.

He's taking a jab at me, like a few, for thinking they was a part of EU while they are not an apparently only on a few councils.

A few were. I've enough to point out my mistake while others not so much, however it looks like he lost nothing and gained everything.

there was an explanation that I posted earlier before

what is more likely it seems is that they prematurely did this when they instead had a later date for it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
if your going to keep posting arrested soldier images with a :( face then at least also post the atrocities they committed

You know that justice isn't applied collectively and it's never OK to punish people outside of the law no matter what they did? At least in a civilised country.

if your going to keep posting arrested soldier images with a :( face then at least also post the atrocities they committed

What atrocities have the soldiers pictured there committed? And if they are suspected of criminal activity, shouldn't they be arrested, treated decently in accordance with human right conventions, so that they can receive a fair trial, which determines if they are guilty?

Beefy

Labour MP
@RhonddaBryant
Turkey is now and has long been a lynch pin in European and wider security. Ludicrous Brexit lies undoubtedly contributed to destabilising

Always has to be one dick head making shit like this political.

You know that justice isn't applied collectively and it's never OK to punish people outside of the law no matter what they did? At least in a civilised country.

you know some civilians would likely not be so happy after some soldiers shot at you... mow down heavy ammo on you via a helicopter... held you at gunpoint to report their statements... bombed your facilities... rushed your news rooms... ran you over with tanks... etc...

you see tons of footage were the situation was handled well and disarming actually occurred

of course in a large pool of people there would be some who are more enraged and seek out violence but compare the death toll of civilians compared to the toll the civilians did to the army and it becomes minute

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
you know some civilians would likely not be so happy after some soldiers shot at you... mow down heavy ammo on you via a helicopter... held you at gunpoint to report their statements... bombed your facilities... rushed your news rooms... ran you over with tanks... etc...

you see tons of footage were the situation was handled well and disarming actually occurred

of course in a large pool of people there would be some who are more enraged and seek out violence but compare the death toll of civilians compared to the toll the civilians did to the army and it becomes minute

Civilians are not the one who should decide who is guilty and who's not. Also the involved people shouldn't not be punished before it's decided who's guilty of what exactly. (especially when we saw soldiers that showed a lot of self-constraint even when people where kicking their heads on a tank).

I hope this is not a concept too difficult to grasp for you.

nampad

So my brother who is on vacation in Antalya, a city that apparently had no direct contact with the coup, has no internet since yesterday.

Meanwhile it worked in Istanbul and Ankara except for some social media sites. What sense does this make for the putschists?

so Islamist Erdogan supporters can come here and talk about how they deserve to be beheaded?
No and I didn't advocate for that

I said that basically these people who are doing a coup aren't saints either
Gemüsepizza;210194265 said:
What atrocities have the soldiers pictured there committed? And if they are suspected of criminal activity, shouldn't they be arrested, treated decently in accordance with human right conventions, so that they can receive a fair trial, which determines if they are guilty?

idk maybe they did do atrocities and maybe they didn't

of course right now they are being held by people who are enraged with them

and indeed human right conventions must be followed

they should be trialed but not executed since likely there are a ton who were just pawns in this but who like the civilians who ran out last night could've ignored the said order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom