• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
you mean every one of those soldiers shot and killed civilians?

enhanced-26816-1431348746-16.jpg

yeah I said I was leaving this thread

I am out

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
noobie really has no idea what he's talking about, and Erdogan heavily limited who can run against him so calling Turkey a democracy right now is laughable as well.

bud23

These poor soldiers.

Cx6k0go.jpg

poor soldiers?

you've got to be kidding me

do you realize that these cunts attempted a coup against a democratically elected government that has left more than 100 dead?

the liberal rhetoric on this forum is turning into plain and simple stupidity, and this thread is the perfect example

phony activists man, posting from their Iphones about human rights on the Internet while heading to the next pokestop

what a time to be alive

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This country was mess but now... I can't even speech!

I must run from this hell. I'm an digital artist and can't live in Turkey anymore, i was already planning to run but now, i must do it soon, realy soon. :( Maybe someone can help me to find a job in nice country, i can work so hard for run this shit place. I dunno, i'm just trying my change here.

They even closed Paypal in Turkey and i was earn money with this way...

Some sample of my draw:
<snip>
Greece or Bulgaria are always your closest options. Neither countries are among the richest in the EU (yes, an understatement), but they have proper internet (essential for your occupation), and well, don't have their Erdogans in power. So far.

Clockwork5

Previous coups led to democratic elections.

The current state of the country is a "democracy" in name only.

They made this statement during the coup. As the US's declaration of support for the current regime. They were in no way hedging their bets for the "winner".

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The vast majority of those soldiers did nothing violent and were trying to remove someone who limited who could run against him and practises a dangerous ideology. Now they're going to be treated horribly, so there's concern. I don't know how some of you can have this bizarre ideology where Turkey counts as a democracy in 2016.

dakun

I feel the same. I left Turkey years ago and have no intention of ever going back. Thinking about just cancelling my citizenship since I already have a Canadian citizenship as well.

i cancelled my citizenship over (EDIT: correction) 10 years ago when i had the chance. I feel like i gained more security through that. I don't see the benefit in being a citizen of a country that has completely lost its way. I'm an atheist and secularist. If i wanted to express myself i'd be in danger anytime i'm in Turkey, especially when it comes to the atheist part.
Now i don't have any intentions to go back anymore. I'm trying to get part of my family to come live with me to get them out of this shitty situation.

America has never liked to deal with democracy in Muslim countries in the past when it wanted to change something. Before Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, a military coup was successfully implemented in Pakistan, similarly before the American second invasion of Afghanistan again Pakistan was put under military rule and Americans did all the dealing with a single dictator.

So I m sure this coup attempt by Americans was partoff their strategy for middle East. Now after its failure they must be scrambling for new strategy.

Btw if some one has seen the press release by the state department they might have noticed that it mentioned this coup as an uprising.

Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit

MUnited83

For you.
poor soldiers?

do you realize that these cunts attempted a coup against a democratically elected government that has left more than 100 dead?

the liberal rhetoric on this forum is turning into plain and simple stupidity, and this thread is the perfect example

phony activists man, posting from their Iphones about human rights on the Internet while heading to the next pokestop

what a time to be alive
A "democratically elected government (which wasnt democratically elected" and that has killed much more than 100 people and jailed even more? Ah yes, such a nice democratic government for sure.

kirblar

They made this statement during the coup. As the US's declaration of support for the current regime. They were in no way hedging their bets for the "winner".
Yes, it was during the coup, but the statement does not mention Erdrogan. It does not mention ANYTHING specific. It's a deliberately vague statement designed to keep us the fuck out of things. It's Diplomacy 101.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Previous coups led to democratic elections.

The current state of the country is a "democracy" in name only.

After the coup had failed.

The police and most factions of the army were fighting the coupsters and half of the country stormed the streets in protest and some were willing to die to prevent this coup. Do you genuinenly think that anything good would've come out of this if it succeeded?

It would have led to a fucking civil war, that's what would've happened. Even as a Turk who is extremely opposed to Erdogan, a more authoritarian regime under Erdogan is something I would pick over a civil war any day of the week.

Fuck Gülen who was willing to steer this country into utter chaos or an authoritarian regime under Erdogan (depending on if it succeded or not) by orchestrating this coup

Sorral

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive

110+ pages and still... lol

Look up Erdagon's elections and Turkey's Constitution + history.

Clockwork5

Yes, it was during the coup, but the statement does not mention Erdrogan. It does not mention ANYTHING specific. It's a deliberately vague statement designed to keep us the fuck out of things. It's Diplomacy 101.
There are other statements diplomats use to express their desire to "keep us the fuck out of things".

Declaring support for one side is the antithesis of this sentiment.

Kraftwerk

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive

jesus christ

FStop7

Banned
People in my extended family in Turkey have basically gone into hiding. I'm getting updates from Facebook that the Antakya Synagogue has been closed and that they're keeping indoors until things have settled down.

So let me get this straight. You traveled all the way from Australia to the UK to campaign for Leave, a movement fueled by paranoid bigotry, and now your family in Turkey is under threat by paranoid bigots.

That's some high speed chickens coming home to roost shit.

I hope your family remains safe.

People are such hypocrites in this thread. Democracy, but only if they do what we think is right.

The military guys aren't angels you know, they hate the Kurds more than the Islamists do.

They are the ones doing the killing of them.

kirblar

There are other statements diplomats use to express their desire to "keep us the fuck out of things".

Declaring support for one side is the antithesis of this sentiment.
They didn't declare support. It is worded in a way where the US can retroactively claim it supported the winning side either way.

Erdrogan wins = we support his "democratic" government"

Coup Wins = we want to see democratic elections ASAP

This is blatantly obvious because they did not name any specific parties.

Rektash

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive

Goodbye and good riddance.

Clockwork5

They didn't declare support. It is worded in a way where the US can retroactively claim it supported the winning side either way.

My goodness. I'm done with you.

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive

Even if Erdogan was "democratically elected", he and his party + government haven't been governing democratically. Turkey is teetering between an authoritarian bureaucratic state (i.e Russia) and a legal dictatorship. You do realise that criticism extends into how a one governs (or lack of) democratically? The question of democracy doesn't end whether they were elected democratically or not, that's a very naive perception of democracy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The police and most factions of the army were fighting the coupsters and half of the country stormed the streets in protest and some were willing to die to prevent this coup. Do you genuinenly think that anything good would've come out of this if it succeeded?

It would have led to a fucking civil war, that's what would've happened. Even as a Turk who is extremely opposed to Erdogan, a more authoritarian regime under Erdogan is something I would pick over a civil war any day of the week.

Fuck Gülen who was willing to steer this country into utter chaos or an authoritarian regime under Erdogan (depending on if it succeded or not) by orchestrating this coup
Stockholm syndrome much?

It's not the megalomaniac who directly fucks up your political scape, it's the one guy who parted with Erdogan and had to flee the country (former allies -> deadliest enemies).

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive
Ah yes, because clearly winning an election gives a ruler complete freedom to trample the Constitution of their nation and suppress some of the most basic human rights of its citizens.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There's a rather large ground between "this coup was an absolutely terrible idea" and "Erdogan is absolutely perfect and I have no complaints about this".

some think that democratically elected = a blank check to transform the country into semi-dictatorship and it's okay

imagine if Trump circumvented the Supreme Court, abolished term limits, created a secret police and cracked down on critics and jailed them

democratically elected.... LOL

nynt9

poor soldiers?

what a time to be alive

I don't support the coup killing protesters, but do you realize "democratically elected" Erdogan has the blood of more than hundreds on his hands?

America has never liked to deal with democracy in Muslim countries in the past when it wanted to change something. Before Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, a military coup was successfully implemented in Pakistan, similarly before the American second invasion of Afghanistan again Pakistan was put under military rule and Americans did all the dealing with a single dictator.

So I m sure this coup attempt by Americans was partoff their strategy for middle East. Now after its failure they must be scrambling for new strategy.

Btw if some one has seen the press release by the state department they might have noticed that it mentioned this coup as an uprising.

Oh wow, the Turkish minister of labor is on gaf :O

@140journos
Çal&#305;&#351;ma Bakan&#305; Süleyman Soylu, Habertürk canl&#305; yay&#305;n&#305;nda konu&#351;uyor: "Bu darbenin arkas&#305;nda Amerika vard&#305;r."

@aykan_erdemir Aykan Erdemir hat 140journos retweetet
#BREAKING - #Turkish Minister @suleymansoylu announced on @HaberturkTV that #UnitedStates is behind the coup attempt

Come to Germany ;)

Btw. do you have any idea why turkish people who have been to Turkey once and actually have a German citizenship, grew up here, "live" German support Erdogan?

That would be awesome, but you are joking right, right?

They are seeing Erdogan like a prophet. They are also brainwashed with islam and probably AKP feeding them.

Also there is 9 million people cannot read and write but they choose our future. :(

As a digital artist you could probably work from most European countries.

Also love the art style on some of these :)
Bionic warrior <3

Hope i can.

Glad you like it, thanks. :)

Greece or Bulgaria are always your closest options. Neither countries are among the richest in the EU (yes, an understatement), but they have proper internet (essential for your occupation), and well, don't have their Erdogans in power. So far.

Thanks for the tip. But i need to find a job for permission to stay.

Slime

Banned

Speaking of which, I got an alert earlier saying the US base had its power cut off and had been sealed off. Anyone know if there have been further developments?

Pretty scary when you have a member of cabinet throwing around rhetoric like that in the midst of this shitstorm.

I was going to post precisely that: Erdogan will use Incirlik as a way to get Gulen, and Kerry's statement was pretty much "just give a good excuse to comply please, anything palpable will be fine".

@CNNTURK_ENG
#BREAKING Turkish President Erdo&#287;an speaks live, calls U.S to hand over Fethullah Gulen to if U.S is strategic ally

That certainly feeds into conspiracy theories about a fake coup.

/
Speaking of which, I got an alert earlier saying the US base had its power cut off and had been sealed off. Anyone know if there have been further developments?

Pretty scary when you have a member of cabinet throwing around rhetoric like that in the midst of this shitstorm.

No further developments, afaik.

Erdogan is using all this to pressure US into extraditing Gülen.

trembli0s

All the Erdostans pearl clutching over the terrible amount of life lost in this coup but failing to mention Erdogan's bombing and killing of Kurds and his beating and killing of protestors.

aliengmr

This is blatantly obvious because they did not name any specific parties.

Nonsense. A military coup is the opposite of "democratically elected govt". Furthermore, considering the situation in the region, the US was not going to benefit from a coup.

There is little doubt the US had to support Erdogan.

All the Erdostans pearl clutching over the terrible amount of life lost in this coup but failing to mention Erdogan's bombing and killing of Kurds and his beating and killing of protestors.

Yes, but there's no reason to believe that a military dictatorship would be handling the Kurdish situation any better. If the past is any indication, they would not.

kirblar

Nonsense. A military coup is the opposite of "democratically elected govt". Furthermore, considering the situation in the region, the US was not going to benefit from a coup.

There is little doubt the US had to support Erdogan.
No, the US stays the fuck out of it publicly until there's a victor. This is how diplomacy works- you do more harm than good publicly picking a side because it completely fucks with the internal politics of the other country.

Rubenov

I'd rather see the US be closer to Russia than Turkey. Russia is fighting ISIS while Turkey is helping them, in spite of being targeted by the group.

We need to pack our nuclear weapons from there and send them elsewhere.

Tecnniqe

Banned
That would be awesome, but you are joking right, right?

They are seeing Erdogan like a prophet. They are also brainwashed with islam and probably AKP feeding them.

Also there is 9 million people cannot read and write but they choose our future. :(

Hope i can.

Glad you like it, thanks. :)

Thanks for the tip. But i need to find a job for permission to stay.
Could you not form a company or LLC in said country and make that your way to stay as you employ yourself in a company you made in their country?

trembli0s

Yes, but there's no reason to believe that a military dictatorship would be handling the Kurdish situation any better. If the past is any indication, they would not.

Maybe not. But I have no doubts the end result will be worse for Kurds in the future than a coup reset would have been.

Erdogan has replaced the entire judiciary and will now replace the military. When he becomes increasingly unpopular he's going to turn to nationalist politics again and use the Kurds as his political punching bag.

I'd rather see the US be closer to Russia than Turkey. Russia is fighting ISIS while Turkey is helping them, in spite of being targeted by the group.

We need to pack our nuclear weapons from there and send them elsewhere.

Sure comrade Rubenov, but first:

• Get rid of Putin
  • GTFO of Ukraine's Donbas region
  • GTFO of Crimea
  • GTFO of Abkhazia
  • GTFO of South Ossetia
  • GTFO of Transnistria
  • Admit responsibility for MH17 and pay damages

/
Maybe not. But I have no doubts the end result will be worse for Kurds in the future than a coup reset would have been.

Erdogan has replaced the entire judiciary and will now replace the military. When he becomes increasingly unpopular he's going to turn to nationalist politics again and use the Kurds as his political punching bag.

That is, of source, not unlikely. Plus, the Kurds will gain more and more independence in Syria. This is probably why he's slowly trying to fix his relationship with Assad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom