• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCN

Banned
"Worth noting, the Turkish military has a constitutional clause where they are supposed to overthrow the government if the government poses a threat to secularity"

Based Ataturk.

That's an amazing clause! It also means that despite what Erdogan says, this is perfectly legal and in fact constitutionally necessary.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Which factions are there? Which one is good in this case?

Kemalists are the main faction - secularist nationalists keen on modernization. But they had a failed coup attempt not long ago, and Erdogan replaced lots of them with Islamists, so this would be a coup by relatively junior officers if so. Bad situation would be followers of Gulen, who's like Erdogan++.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wow. Erdogan has gone into hiding with those faithful to him, but where do we go from here? Who will be the first to accept the new turkish government?

THIS IS CRAZY.

Germany and Angela Merkel are currently welcoming refugees from that region. I am sure he will find warm words here.

I am calling Bullshit on that!!! Pakistani military are the ones that have lead to the wahabi- islamification of Pakistan... Anyone here remembers Zia ul Haq in the 80s with the creation of the Taliban? Also it was Yaya Khan and Zulifqar Bhutto leading to the mess in Bangladesh (formerly East Pakistan)... The 2000s Musharaf and his corruption with the whole situation in this war on terror....

People of Pakistan sick and tired of the corruption, but they don't realize how corrupt the military of Pakistan is until they get to know some of them.

Anyway this topic is about Turkey and not Pakistan.

You're right about Zia, he was a super Islamic figure. If you compare that to Ayub Khan and Musharraf, the economy was at its highest during those periods but I digress.
Also from the viewpoint of minorities in Pakistan they were safe during those times (except for Zia and his Islamization).

Like you said this topic is about Turkey and not Pakistan.
While I don't like the guy I wonder if it would escalate to the point where Erdogan would repeat the Adnan Menderes path and get hanged in public after this.

commedieu

Banned
That's an amazing clause! It also means that despite what Erdogan says, this is perfectly legal and in fact constitutionally necessary.

I've been told time and time again that Violence is always bad, no matter WHAT. Why didn't the military peacefully do this?

Meadows

Banned
Flightradar showing loads of flights turning away

WoygHCu.png

for the new page

Sijil

Man the things I would do just to see the look on Assad's face.

Al Jazeera is going crazy, the Muslims Brotherhood's bastion is crumbling.

kirblar

In Turkey, if their military coups are always generally good and repels religious fanatics from gaining or maintaining power, why the hell are these secular leaders not just voted in?

Is there no confidence in the election system or mass corruption? Seems weird for a relatively well-adjusted country.
Same reason you get bathroom laws passed in NC.

warthog

What the hell. Not sure what to think about this. I hope whatever happens, the Turkish people don't suffer and fare better because of it.

And fuck erdogan.

Zapages

nah he rigged it.

I find it funny that whenever a "conservative" leader is chosen then he has rigged it, but when a secularist has won... Then the elections are fair.

Let the people decide and there were UN and EU body said the elections are fair...

Aside from that Edorgans dictatorship policies were against the democratic notion of the country...

But I hope CHP doesn't come into power due to their incompetence and corruption in the past.

On one hand Erdogan is a piece of shit and totally had it coming for him.

On the not so bright side of things a coup can lead to the country instability and potentially a civil war, hope the majority of the army is involved in the movement, otherwise It could become a real shitshow.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, we want this military coup to be successful, correct?

Both yes and no, the military are the better half of a bad apple, but no means heros, since they are very deadly and can cause mass causalities of the country descends into chaos. However by the swiftness of the events, it seems positive, so far. Plus there is a history of the military in turkey actually sorting the country out via coups, let's wait and see.

One thing I am glad about this, if it's goes swiftly and we have a stable prospering turkey out of this, is the iron fist that will go down on Isis and terrorist supporters in turkey and Isis in general. Militaries don't fuck around taking out their enemies.

qazqaNii

Man im in turkey and worried as fuck, altho i am in a small village it is still worry some.

My sister was getting engaged tommorow morning, but will probably get delayed now. Shiiit.

Shiiit.

Economy gonna get fucked aswell.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like this was planned into the last detail, they only waited for the right moment to make the final move

People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

I hate to the one to say it but so was Hitler... Although I'm not sure yet if this coup is a good thing. Hopefully Russian isn't involved in any way...

EDIT: I was late. Saw your "majority" comment. Even if you are right not all democratic decisions require majority.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
US/Turkish Military Base at Incirlik and outlying bases have gone to "Force Protection Condition Delta” according to NBC News

Definition according to Wiki,

FPCON DELTA describes a situation when a terrorist attack is taking place or has just occurred in the immediate area. FPCON Delta usually occurs only in the areas that are most vulnerable to or have been attacked. One notable example of a general FPCON Delta was directly following the September 11, 2001 attacks, when all military installations were placed at FPCON Delta and restricted to only military personnel. Force Protection Level I Antiterrorism Training defines FPCON Delta as: FPCON Delta applies when a terrorist attack has occurred or when intelligence indicates imminent terrorist action against a specific location. FPCON Delta is normally declared as a localized warning. The installation moves to a high state of alert, and mandatory security measures are implemented. Commanders are also authorized and encouraged to supplement mandatory security measures. FPCON Delta may cause delayed or canceled mission activities. You can expect delays and interruptions to daily routines.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Germany and Angela Merkel are currently welcoming refugees from that region. I am sure he will find warm words here.

Uhm what? Germany has been sending refugees to Turkey, not the other way around. Unless by "that region" you mean "Syria".

Rendered unusable (destroying the PAL) I'd imagine.
Yeah, didn't actually mean a nuclear detonation. They'd likely detonate the chemical explosives out of sequence to disable the weapons and send in teams to extract the nuclear material. Though I have read that a nuclear self-destruct is a last resort option.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Uhm what? Germany has been sending refugees to Turkey, not the other way around. Unless by "that region" you mean "Syria".

Yes, it was just a lame joke. thatsthejoke.gif

In any case, I wonder what Merkel is thinking about all of this. All the shit she took just to get a shitty deal with Erdogan, and now this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom