• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

Current situation:
Pro-AKP thugs have been celebrating their "Democracy Festival" after beating the crap out of unarmed soldiers who surrendered. They've been terrorizing (insulting, trashing and trying to run them over in their cars) especially women and boys who don't dress "appropriately."

Yeah my parents also told me this an hour ago. Looting everywhere it seems.

FStop7

Banned
From what I've been reading there is uncertainty as to whether Gulen is a US citizen or a resident alien (green card holder.) In either case some legal experts are saying that Obama doesn't really have the authority to make any such decision and that it would be up to a judge. Gulen has legal rights and if an attempt were made to extradite him it would mean a long legal battle. Edrogan is overplaying his hand if he thinks the US government will just hand him over. Even if they were willing, they can't.

"Get reinforcements"? And do what?

So you want foreign troops to violate Turkey airspace, drop troops on the ground and force entrance to a Turkish military base?

And then you wish for Russia to attack Turkey or get more influence over them. How does that help anyone?
I really how much you can "violate an airspace" if you're actually allies.

Whatever the case, I'd like to get the NATO troops out of there ASAP and cut off all relationships with them until Erdogan is gone.

They've begun digging the grave, it's time to let them lie in it.

Blueliner

Banned
This is going to get bad in Turkey.

I'm convinced there are some cultures who cannot live and function with true democracy, I don't see it in their nature and beliefs.

I'd like to get the NATO troops out of there and cut off all relationships with them until Erdogan is gone.
And I'm sure the appropriate NATO commanders are on top of the situation there trying to figure it out. Just flying over troops is not a good solution. Take a bit of time and try to find a good solution instead.

You don't just cut ties that easily with a 60+ year ally. They need to take their time and see what the next steps will be in the next weeks and months.

Markoman

Because there are more than a million of refugees in Turkey, much more than Greece could ever handle, much more than could ever be controlled properly (and constrained to Greece), all of which would cost much more than 6 billion? Because Europe would rather keep refugees as far away as possible? The idea is to have a "safe haven" outside of EU that they can send the migrants back to.

The problem is one refugee costs the German tax payer roughly 1000€ per month + all the expenses for registration and sending those back who don't have a right to stay + increased security meassures.
Something started this huge wave of refugees coming to Germany, it got out of hand and Merkel has never adressed the issue - the small Eastern European countries did when they closed their borders. Not one single German would have had a problem with 500.000 refugess from Syria who went through a clean registration process, but what we've got instead is madness. Was it so hard for her to step in front of a camera saying "Sorry, but we're full now". That's the whole issue! Was she intending to invite the whole 3rd world into her country? I don't think so, but that's where things where heading. So she tries to correct her mistake by going to one of the shadiest guys in the world? I respect your arguments, still what has been done here looks like a mistake and tragedy of historic proportions.

Bedlam

2) This wasn't staged, but Erdogan knew of it and to a degree manipulated or forced the coup's hand to go without having everything in order. So instead of preventing the coup from ever happening, he simply let it unfold because it was doomed to fail.
I think this is extremely likely. There were reports of a probable coup months ago apparently.

I really how much you can "violate an airspace" if you're actually allies.

Whatever the case, I'd like to get the NATO troops out of there ASAP and cut off all relationships with them until Erdogan is gone.

They've begun digging the grave, it's time to let them lie in it.

What you're describing would be ISIL's wet dream. While Erdogan is there he'll basically turn a blind eye to their fighters streaming into Europe through Turkey.

At least he was beginning to take the threat seriously and made overtures to Russia and Israel.

mAcOdIn

Yup, they need to tell Erdogan to fuck off and keep putting pressure on him, but you don't just drop a country as an ally. Negotiations and diplomacy are a slow, methodolical art. People are reacting like Trump would in here.
How many years is enough time to give Turkey?

It's not like I'm upset he's keeping some people confined to an airbase, I'm not. His government is descending further and further into an authoritarian regime. I assume if we had any leverage at all over them that such a slide would have slowed or halted it but it just continues to pick up pace.
I'm glad our leaders take a bit more time to think about these alliances. Turkey has been a NATO ally for over 60 years. You don't just throw that away. They are in a strategic location also, which is much used by NATO.

Erdogan is trouble, but you don't throw away someone from a defensive alliance easily. It's not like Turkey is going to drag us into a war. They contribute to NATO and will keep doing so, giving the others access to their bases which they need at the moment. Letting go of such a strategic ally in the region is very, very shortsighted.
Keeping them around is just as shortsighted, I mean, we need/want the bases now not necessarily 50 years in the future. Granted, I know the other stuff, shipping lanes, gas pipelines, relatively strong military for the region, I got it. But if we're keeping someone a strategic ally for those reasons once they start threatening to hold those things from us they're no different than not being an ally.

kirblar

So considering the events unfolding, I can really only thing of two likely things

1) This was staged

2) This wasn't staged, but Erdogan knew of it and to a degree manipulated or forced the coup's hand to go without having everything in order. So instead of preventing the coup from ever happening, he simply let it unfold because it was doomed to fail.
#2 looks like what happened. Military purges/replacements were imminent.

Keeping them around is just as shortsighted, I mean, we need/want the bases now not necessarily 50 years in the future. Granted, I know the other stuff, shipping lanes, gas pipelines, relatively strong military for the region, I got it. But if we're keeping someone a strategic ally for those reasons once they start threatening to hold those things from us they're no different than not being an ally.
Sure, but that should be figured out in the time to come. Any decision like that can not be taken lightly for exactly the reasons you name there.

Let's say we dump them out of NATO - how exactly, since there is no clear protocol for that? - then who fills the void and with who is Turkey going to align itself more? Russia probably. Not really a good idea.

The whole situation is a mess, but NATO is a defense alliance. We can keep them in and work with them on those grounds, while still putting pressure on them in others.

oti

Banned
Is there actually any evidence that the hotel Erdogan stayed in got hit by a bomb as he claims? I've heard about it but haven't seen anything.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm not excusing Erdogans behavior. But the changes people are proposing in this thread are not to be taken lightly.

You do not pressure Erdogan that way, but the people around him. That is diplomacy. And we should always opt for that before military action.
There's nothing to pressure left. He rounds up anyone and want to put the death penalty back into effect. How do you pressure a stranglehold in which if you cave you get killed?

Steel

Banned
Is there actually any evidence that the hotel Erdogan stayed in got hit by a bomb as he claims? I've heard about it but haven't seen anything.

The opposite, reports are that a couple helicopters flew by but nothing exploded. But who cares about facts, right?

There's a rather large ground between "this coup was an absolutely terrible idea" and "Erdogan is absolutely perfect and I have no complaints about this".

Easily the most sane post in this thread

Every other post is so hyperbolic its hard to take seriously.

There's nothing to pressure left. He rounds up anyone and want to put the death penalty back into effect. How do you pressure a stranglehold in which if you cave you get killed?
The same way we always do. Through diplomatic and economic means.

At the moment, Turkey is a mess. But it is mostly an internal mess. So any action from foreign actors need to be careful. Otherwise we have learned nothing from Iraq, Libya, Egypt and Syria.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is going to get bad in Turkey.

I'm convinced there are some cultures who cannot live and function with true democracy, I don't see it in their nature and beliefs.

We're talking about Turkey here, not Saudi Arabia.

Turkey as is was founded by Mustafa Ataturk is a democracy and Erdogan is a dictator, Putin style, who should not be in power based on Turkey's constitution. The coup or failed coup by the military is justified in Turkey's constitution if religious fanatics take over.

trembli0s

Current situation:
Pro-AKP thugs have been celebrating their "Democracy Festival" after beating the crap out of unarmed soldiers who surrendered. They've been terrorizing (insulting, trashing and trying to run them over in their cars) especially women and boys who don't dress "appropriately."

But guys, DEMOCRACY!

Tecnniqe

Banned
The same way we always do. Through diplomatic and economic means.

At the moment, Turkey is a mess. But it is mostly an internal mess. So any action from foreign actors need to be careful. Otherwise we have learned nothing from Iraq, Libya, Egypt and Syria.
Yeah but it's not a internal mess when you refuse to let your allies enter/leave the bases, surrounding them and cutting off their power.
Diplomacy probably won't work or take years to get anywhere.

I'm not saying we invade them, but surely pulling out and starting to cut our ties with them seems reasonable. We can't say "we support these" while our own soldiers are held hostage by them.

For a defensive alliance to work there must be trust. Trust and equal minded and goal set governments. There's little if any of that the way they keep moving now, and it's only looking to get worse.

Yeah but it's not a internal mess when you refuse to let your allies enter/leave the bases.

I'm not saying we invade them, but surely pulling out and starting to cut our ties with them seems reasonable. We can't say "we support these" while our own soldiers are held hostage by them.

For a defensive alliance to work there must be trust. Trust and equal minded and goal set governments. There's little if any of that the way they keep moving now, and it's only looking to get worse.
It is not reasonable to make those long term and very big changes within 24 hours after an event like this.

Yeah but it's not a internal mess when you refuse to let your allies enter/leave the bases, surrounding them and cutting off their power.

Yep.

Allies don't hold your military hostage over an extradition demand. Even for political showmanship.

Yeah but it's not responsible to hold allies hostage over political gain to flex muscles.
Agreed. The situation should be resolved as soon as possible and then we need to figure out where to go from there.

Talk like this to just kick Turkey out of NATO and fly in more troops to free the base are not necessary at the moment.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Agreed. The situation should be resolved as soon as possible and then we need to figure out where to go from there.

Talk like this to just kick Turkey out of NATO and fly in more troops to free the base are not necessary at the moment.
Yeah but a alliance don't function when you take them hostage for your personal gain.

There's not much else to say.

oti

Banned
I seriously fear for the day his attentions turn to Cyprus and Greece, both of whom have disputes Turkey of oil and gas reserves.

If he was to invade Greece and Germany/France/UK/Italy wouldn't intervene that would mean the end of the EU and Europe as we know it.

FWIW I'm sure he'll be focusing on bending Turkey to his will for the foreseeable future before hey pays attention to other stuff.

FStop7

Banned
I think the situation at the base will be resolved peacefully. Any kind of use of force at the base against their own allies would turn the entire world against Erdogan.

I seriously fear for the day his attentions turn to Cyprus and Greece, both of whom have disputes Turkey of oil and gas reserves.

I live in Greece and my brother lives in Cyprus. I seriously fear as well that things are going to get worse as Turkey is slowly turning into a dictatorship. What is more disconcerting is that NATO seems happy to bow to Erdogan's every whim.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Atatürk, the general?

He was much more than a general.

If he was to invade Greece and Germany/France/UK/Italy wouldn't intervene that would mean the end of the EU and Europe as we know it.

FWIW I'm sure he'll be focusing on bending Turkey to his will for the foreseeable future before hey pays attention to other stuff.

No way in hell he invades Greece or even tries to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't even think they're keeping them hostage really.
They effectively are. Not at gun point but surrounding them, cutting their power, not allowing anyone to enter or leave the premises and not allowing them to fly or land.

You are stuck there against your will, and he demanded US to give him Gulen if there is to be any cooperation between the nations.

If Turkey invaded Greece, I would expect the rest of the world to loudly condemn it and not lift a damn finger to help.

I doubt Erdogan would do that though, given the internal problems he has to deal with right now. There are more pressing things to deal with than territorial expansionism.

They are in the EU, they should be safe.
Russia is more likely to come to Greece and Cyprus' aid in a military conflict with Turkey than any of the EU countries.

Greece has a great insurance policy -- If Turkey invades Greece, the Germans and French won't get their money back.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The parroted statements by Western leaders to support the democratically-elected government is laughable considering Erdogan said democracy is irrelevant. Just who exactly do they think they are asking people to support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom