• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We're talking about Turkey here, not Saudi Arabia.

Turkey as is was founded by Mustafa Ataturk is a democracy and Erdogan is a dictator, Putin style, who should not be in power based on Turkey's constitution. The coup or failed coup by the military is justified in Turkey's constitution if religious fanatics take over.

Ataturk's Turkey was a one-party state and democratization didn't occur until long after his death. He was more of a one-man autocrat than Erdogan himself is. Let's not get secularism confused with democracy here.

Nor does Turkey's constitution justify a military takeover. Article 118 allows the National Security Council to assume special powers in times of civil disorder, but while the NSC does include military commanders, since an amendment in 2001 it has also included a wide array of civilian staff, including the Prime Minister.

There's huge amounts of people in this thread who have literally no idea what they're talking about and I have to admit, if I were a mod I'd be looking at banning people for making hugely insulting snap judgements about the Turkish people and country as a whole.

Wasn't the based locked down last night because of what was happening and it likely hasn't be lifted?
It seems the Turkish Air Force was - at least partly - involved in the coup. It is said they refueled from this base. So they locked it down and cut power.

Air space got closed also, which is not really that strange in a situation like this.

m_dorian

If he was to invade Greece and Germany/France/UK/Italy wouldn't intervene that would mean the end of the EU and Europe as we know it.

FWIW I'm sure he'll be focusing on bending Turkey to his will for the foreseeable future before hey pays attention to other stuff.

He can't open a new front, it is not reasonable. And in this front he will have to face, not rebels or partisans but an organized army, navy and airforce, although weaker, which have always expected a non reasonable move from their neighbour and have some plans to counter it.

Also, this will not help, Turkey's economy and it's world standing, attacking a fellow NATO ally and trade partner is suicide. Same it is if, supposedly, Greece would made a similar war move on Turkey.

Nikodemos

Corriere della Sera runs an editorial claiming that Erdogan let the rebels start the attempt, knowing they'll fail, in order to implement wide-ranging purges in all areas of the legislative, judiciary and military.

Seeing how things are unfolding, it's probably legit.

I think the situation at the base will be resolved peacefully. Any kind of use of force at the base against their own allies would turn the entire world against Erdogan.

The reason the base has been isolated is because tankers from Incirlik were supporting pro-coup aircraft last night, therefore there is a pro-coup element at the base that the government will want isolated and arrested. The US presence at the base complicates things but it's not the reason why the base has been isolated.

I would imagine that negotiations are ongoing and there will be a peaceful settlement.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He can't open a new front, it is not reasonable. And in this front he will have to face, not rebels or partisans but an organized army, navy and airforce, although weaker, which have always expected a non reasonable move from their neighbour and have some plans to counter it.

Also, this will not help, Turkey's economy and it's world standing, attacking a fellow NATO ally and trade partner is suicide. Same it is if, supposedly, Greece would made a similar war move on Turkey.

A skirmish where governments pretend both sides are equally at fault just to avoid getting involved would work. It would be said to be an issue between Greece and Turkey, there would be a stalemate (favoring Turkey), and it would stay like that.

Condom

Gazi neigborhood in Istanbul filled with fascists now, reports of Kurds and Alewites being attacked (all from Twitter, just search for Gazi)

Fucking hell.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The parroted statements by Western leaders to support the democratically-elected government is laughable considering Erdogan said democracy is irrelevant. Just who exactly do they think they are asking people to support?

Erdogan has wide and fervent support in Turkey. Not unanimous, but certainly enough to win a majority in a free and fair election - not saying that Turkey's are entirely free or fair, but even if they were, it would make little difference. A military coup would have been met with civil disobedience on a grand scale; that's the sort of thing that can very easily send a country over the brink. This isn't the Turkey of the '70s and '80s, the military is not the institution it once was. The first priority of Western leaders is maintaining stability; other concerns are secondary. It's absolutely no surprise they backed Erdogan (especially because it wasn't even clear which faction was behind the coup and remains somewhat unclear now), and their statement was aimed at discouraging any would-be plotters not to even try.

trembli0s

Gazi neigborhood in Istanbul filled with fascists now, reports of Kurds and Alewites being attacked (all from Twitter, just search for Gazi)

Fucking hell.

Who do people think Erdogan represents? I'll stand by what I said earlier, Turkey is going to become an increasingly Islamicized country where minorities and dissidents are beaten and jailed.

oti

Banned
Erdogan has wide and fervent support in Turkey. Not unanimous, but certainly enough to win a majority in a free and fair election - not saying that Turkey's are entirely free or fair, but even if they were, it would make little difference. A military coup would have been met with civil disobedience on a grand scale; that's the sort of thing that can very easily send a country over the brink. This isn't the Turkey of the '70s and '80s, the military is not the institution it once was. The first priority of Western leaders is maintaining stability; other concerns are secondary. It's absolutely no surprise they backed Erdogan (especially because it wasn't even clear which faction was behind the coup and remains somewhat unclear now), and their statement was aimed at discouraging any would-be plotters not to even try.

It fascinates me how some people on here and in general don't understand even the most basic diplomacy.

gamma

So I just saw a liveleak video where Erdogan supporters apparently cut a soldiers throat?

What the hell is happening?

TCRS

Banned
Not even 24 hours since the end of the rebellion and look at the response of the government. Firing 3000 judges, arrest warrants for 180 member of the supreme court, 10 state council members arrested etc.

no wonder people think something fishy is going on.

nynt9

Not even 24 hours since the end of the rebellion and look at the response of the government. Firing 3000 judges, arrest warrants for 180 member of the supreme court, 10 state council members arrested etc.

no wonder people think something fishy is going on.

"Democracy" in action! /s

petran79

Banned
If Turkey invaded Greece, I would expect the rest of the world to loudly condemn it and not lift a damn finger to help.

I doubt Erdogan would do that though, given the internal problems he has to deal with right now. There are more pressing things to deal with than territorial expansionism.

Turkish army proved it is a complete joke now. Even Greece in her current state would beat them easily at home turf

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ataturk's Turkey was a one-party state and democratization didn't occur until long after his death. He was more of a one-man autocrat than Erdogan himself is. Let's not get secularism confused with democracy here.

Nor does Turkey's constitution justify a military takeover. Article 118 allows the National Security Council to assume special powers in times of civil disorder, but while the NSC does include military commanders, since an amendment in 2001 it has also included a wide array of civilian staff, including the Prime Minister.

Turkey, for an Islamic state, is probably the most secular and the argument could be made Turkey is the most influential Islamic country.

All of those secular reforms that Ataturk preached were put in place mainly because of him even after his death.

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government."

-Atatürk

Pretty relevant given today's events wouldn't you say?

There's huge amounts of people in this thread who have literally no idea what they're talking about and I have to admit, if I were a mod I'd be looking at banning people for making hugely insulting snap judgements about the Turkish people and country as a whole.

You're not implying me, I hope not.

Fucking hell.

Sadly this will only get worse as time goes on.

I bet they will be lauded as heroes and given a medal by Erdogan himself.

You underestimate him. He's as capable of doing exactly that. This is the guy that threatens the EU when it fits his agenda.
The problem is that if Erdogan rattles his saber too close to the mark, the US will be sponsoring the next coup d'etat and replacing him with somebody they can deal with. It's standard operating procedure.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Turkey, for an Islamic state, is probably the most secular and the argument could be made Turkey is the most influential Islamic country.

All of those secular reforms that Ataturk preached were put in place mainly because of him even after his death.

You are moving the goalposts. Let me quote you, from earlier:

Turkey as is was founded by Mustafa Ataturk is a democracy

No, it was not. Ataturk was an autocrat who ran a one-party state. He held more power personally than Erdogan has even dreamed of. He was a secularist, yes. But he was not a democrat.

You're not implying me, I hope not.

When you make comments implying that Ataturk was a democrat, I am inclined to imply you, yes.

Facism

Do why do people think turkey is going to invade Greece? What the fuck am I reading..

It's an absolutely ridiculous assumption and I think mans just want to make these terrible events about themselves rather than the horrific events unfolding in Turkey right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The problem is that if Erdogan rattles his saber to close to the mark, the US will be sponsoring the next coup d'etat and replacing him with somebody they can deal with. It's standard operating procedure.

Easier said than done. They would have to move out all their own diplomatic personnel, army, etc., first. Not happening. The US almost never succeeds at anything it does outside its borders, and this would be far more complicated than dropping bombs on a third world country.

petran79

Banned
Oh fuck everything about this whole situation.

whats even more saddening is that those soldiers were youths 19-20 year old that had to follow orders from above or they'd be shot in the event the coup had succeeded. Either way they were screwed.

I have no idea what Greece's army is like now, but I can't imagine it's a powerhouse either :p

believe it or not, they have the largest tank number in Europe, the majority of which is German made

No, I meant Turkish army proved to be in even greater disarray than Greece's

norinrad

Easier said than done. They would have to move out all their own diplomatic personnel, army, etc., first. Not happening. The US almost never succeeds at anything it does outside its borders, and this would be far more complicated than dropping bombs on a third world country.

Time for the US to give Theresa May and Boris a call then.

BeerSnob

whats even more saddening is that those soldiers were youths 19-20 year old that had to follow orders from above or they'd be shot in the event the coup had succeeded. Either way they were screwed.

And they stood down, when forced to either shoot their own people or give up they surrendered to the will of the people. Fuck this.

Sioen

Maybe it's time to stop fantasizing about turkey vs greece and talk about the real issues here like public lynching.

Maybe it's time to stop fantasizing about turkey vs greece and talk about the real issues here like public lynching.
It was already decided earlier in the thread that it's alright to demand that the soldiers be publicly beheaded, so there's not much else to do from there.

It's amazing how Erdogan and Co where able to identify thousands of people across multiple areas Judicial, Military etc that were behind the presumed "coup" in less than 24 hours.
Such an achievement, Bravo

It's amazing how Erdogan and Co where able to identify thousands of people across multiple areas Judicial, Military etc that were behind the presumed "coup" in less than 24 hours.
Such an achievement, Bravo

And how a 75 year old in exile managed to get them all under his command.

Funny how they managed to figure out that his main political adversary was behind it. Boy that sure is convenient.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You are moving the goalposts. Let me quote you, from earlier:

No, it was not. Ataturk was an autocrat who ran a one-party state. He held more power personally than Erdogan has even dreamed of. He was a secularist, yes. But he was not a democrat.

When you make comments implying that Ataturk was a democrat, I am inclined to imply you, yes.

My word of democracy was a wrong choice of words but Ataturk was the main leader behind the reformation of the Ottoman Empire after it collapsed and wanted a secular country and did exactly that.

Hence him changing Turkish into the Roman alphabet, rising literacy rates in Turkey at a drastic rate at a drastic time, giving woman voting rights.

He was an autocrat, a general, a politician, a general. He held more power given the times after World War 1 but he was a secularist who is positively revered to this day.

I tend to agree although we don't know what his endgame is.

tumblr_ln86egVaM71qatq71o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom