• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflufan

Banned
From the official Incirlik AB Twitter:

CnhGQ8KWgAAlHPT.jpg

commedieu

Banned
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-parties-turkey-support-erdogan-govt-074352507--politics.html

US would consider extradition request for exiled cleric

BRADLEY KLAPPER,Associated Press 49 minutes ago Comments Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

LUXEMBOURG (AP) — The Obama administration would entertain an extradition request for the U.S.-based cleric that Turkey's president is blaming for a failed coup attempt, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Saturday.
Called it.

Turkey for some reason has the western world by the balls.

Erogan has nudes of Regan. Confirmed.

PtM

Banned
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-parties-turkey-support-erdogan-govt-074352507--politics.html

BRADLEY KLAPPER,Associated Press 49 minutes ago Comments Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

LUXEMBOURG (AP) — The Obama administration would entertain an extradition request for the U.S.-based cleric that Turkey's president is blaming for a failed coup attempt, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Saturday.
Not sure how Gülen could get a fair trial, what with there being no more judges. Maybe Erdogan could fill in?

Matt

Called it.

Called what?

We should consider it. It's an extradition request from an ally for a serious crime. We should absolutly consider it.

Doing it will be another question entirely.

WHAT

commedieu

Banned
Called what?

We should consider it. It's an extradition request from an ally for a serious crime. We should absolutly consider it.

Doing it will be another question entirely.

That isn't simply what happened. Hes holding our military base ransom. And there is no evidence of him being responsible for the coup.

We have due process here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Called it.

Turkey needs to provide very solid proof for the extradition to be accepted. I'm not sure they have that. No, social media screenshots are not solid proof in a country with normal justice.

Tugatrix

what? did this Gulen just managed to prepare a coup under american radar and they are royally pissed like Erdogan?

That isn't simply what happened. Hes holding our military base ransom. And there is no evidence of him being responsible for the coup.

That's an exaggeration. Our soldiers are not in danger. Our soldiers being temporarily detained are not related to Gulen's extradition.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys, learn to read the diplomatic language.

There is a difference between receiving an extradition request and proceeding with an extradition.

Not shocking.

Turkey's strategic position has the rest of NATO caught by the balls. I'd love to see the proof that Turkey gives.
That's an exaggeration. Our soldiers are not in danger. Our soldiers being temporarily detained are not related to Gulen's extradition.
Yes it is.

antonz

Turkey has gone through official extradition steps before and the US laughed at them and said next time provide us shit you didn't make up. Will be the same thing this time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BBC kind of trying to paint Turkey's stability as being so important that it doesn't matter if it's run by a dictatorship, also constantly having pro-Erdogan folks being interviewed who all report the coup was Gulen-led.

edit: "judges have been dismissed" lol. Nice choice of word by the BBC.

Matt

Yes...And another word for due process could be consideration. That's when Turkey would present their evidence.

sflufan

Banned
Yes...And another word for due process could be consideration. That's when Turkey would present their evidence.

Even further, if the government determines that there is evidence to initiate extradition proceedings, it still has to go through the court system where it could be tossed out.

BBC kind of trying to paint Turkey's stability as being so important that it doesn't matter if it's run by a dictatorship, also constantly having pro-Erdogan folks being interviewed who all report the coup was Gulen-led.
I actually got a bit sick of BBC's coverage last night because of all the pro-Erdogan simps they had on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I actually got a bit sick of BBC's coverage last night because of all the pro-Erdogan simps they had on.

I can guess how the European governments will react; they'll try to soften Erdogan's actions because otherwise it helps right-wing parties. The more Erdogan appears a "bad guy", the more difficult it is for Merkel and co. to negotiate with him regarding the refugee situation.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The military horror already ended explosions, jets, gunfights etc. But thousands of people are in streets chanting against coup right now. Other than that, there is no official news about coup.

Alright, thanks! Are you in Antalya as well?

edit: "judges have been dismissed" lol. Nice choice of word by the BBC.

Its basically as important as Egypt and gets as much aid from the US. And Egypt doesn't have democratic political system.

mAcOdIn

Seriously, I don't think our people being locked down is a big deal, it's something that would have happened either way. When I was in the US Army there were times I couldn't leave a base I was sent to in my own country! I doubt anyone would be itching to allow their men and women to leave the base and go into a country in this kind of turmoil. The last thing they need is some airmen or some shit getting confused for someone else by some crazy mob or the police during a crackdown. And in Turkey's defense, ally or not we're not Turkish citizens and the last thing they need is foreign military roaming the streets, good intentions or not. Anyone allowing their people out into that environment is a fool or itching for a major incident to happen.

The timing is annoying but it is what it is. Obama absolutely should consider Turkey's request and if they meet the burden of proof they should comply even if it looks like caving because that's the right thing to do.

And why even say "under our noses" in regards to some dude organizing a coup from our country, why couldn't that happen? You think the government watches everyone in real time? It absolutely could happen.

Of course, it's likely bullshit and if Turkey can't provide any evidence the claim should be rejected but honestly, even if Turkey wasn't our ally if he had staged a coup from here and they had evidence we should extradite him.

Come on, US, you're better than this

Is what I would say, but it IS possible that Gülen was behind it all indeed. So due process is a right, and I'll need to see how that turns out before I say anything more.

It's just frustrating as hell to see that even the Western media is too afraid at times to call Erdoğan out on his fascist, discriminatory, scummy behavior.

Seriously, I don't think our people being locked down is a big deal, it's something that would have happened either way. When I was in the US Army there were times I couldn't leave a base I was sent to in my own country! I doubt anyone would be itching to allow their men and women to leave the base and go into a country in this kind of turmoil. The last thing they need is some airmen or some shit getting confused for someone else by some crazy mob or the police during a crackdown. And in Turkey's defense, ally or not we're not Turkish citizens and the last thing they need is foreign military roaming the streets, good intentions or not. Anyone allowing their people out into that environment is a fool or itching for a major incident to happen.

The timing is annoying but it is what it is. Obama absolutely should consider Turkey's request and if they meet the burden of proof they should comply even if it looks like caving because that's the right thing to do.

And why even say "under our noses" in regards to some dude organizing a coup from our country, why couldn't that happen? You think the government watches everyone in real time? It absolutely could happen.

Of course, it's likely bullshit and if Turkey can't provide any evidence the claim should be rejected but honestly, even if Turkey wasn't our ally if he had staged a coup from here and they had evidence we should extradite him.
Locking down off-base land travel would be one thing.

Shutting down important air missions targeting ISIS is another.

mAcOdIn

Locking down off-base land travel would be one thing.

Shutting down important air missions targeting ISIS is another.
It may feel that way but they did use military aircraft and if they really suspect the base....

Yes, they're probably being annoying to us because they can but the reasons are not entirely illegitimate.

norinrad

Come on, US, you're better than this

Is what I would say, but it IS possible that Gülen was behind it all indeed. So due process is a right, and I'll need to see how that turns out before I say anything more.

It's just frustrating as hell to see that even the Western media is too afraid at times to call Erdoğan out on his fascist, discriminatory, scummy behavior.

Relax, no one is sending the old man back to Turkey.

Steel

Banned
Not surprised that we're hypocrites. We (meaning Western countries) help Saudi Arabia which in some ways is worse than Turkey.

I'd say they're worse in most ways. That being said, extradition is a process. They're just not blithely handing gulen over without evidence.

Since OP stopped its summary, why did this coup fail exactly, if that's what happened?
Assuming not staged:
1) Very little participation from the military and other establishments
2) Disorganisation due to an imminent purge of non-Erdoğan military officers, perhaps why this was a last resort-like, panicked move by some officers
3) Widespread backlash and resistance from citizens
4) Did nothing to incapacitate Erdoğan, the PM, and such

Corto

Since OP stopped its summary, why did this coup fail exactly, if that's what happened?

Erdogan made a FaceTime call live conference on National TV urging Turkish people to go to the streets and confront the military coup forces. From that point a successful coup would only be attainable with a quick show of force and determination with the resulting civilian bloodshed, a slow even more bloodier civil war or the coup forces backing out. The fact that no one internally or externally supported the coup also was important of course, but civilians confronting the military was the turning point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom