• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locking down off-base land travel would be one thing.

Shutting down important air missions targeting ISIS is another.

The Turkish government has closed its airspace to military aircraft, including to coalition aircraft operating out of Incirlik at part of Operation Inherent Resolve. “U.S. officials are working with the Turks to resume air operations there as soon as possible,” Cook said. In the meantime, he added, U.S. Central Command is adjusting and will use other facilities in the region to launch sorties.

I don't think the mission will fall apart because of this.

Protesters are assembling in front of Gulen's villa in Pennsylvania. It's like vermin, they are fucking everywhere. Can't the US arrest them for harassment?

C4Om7x0.jpg

just posting it so we can see it on the page

Gotta hand it to Erdogan, he's succeeded in brainwashing millions of people even in America to blindly follow him. Not even Kim Il-Sung managed to brainwash people outside of his own country.

SDCowboy

Gotta hand it to Erdogan, he's succeeded in brainwashing millions of people even in America to blindly follow him. Not even Kim Il-Sung managed to brainwash people outside of his own country.

Well that is largely because N. Koreans typically don't get to leave their country, much less move...

Nere

These last days I have lost what little respect I had for Turkey. They seem to deserve their dictatorship and want it.

Akainu

Protesters are assembling in front of Gulen's villa in Pennsylvania. It's like vermin, they are fucking everywhere. Can't the US arrest them for harassment?

I never got it if these people love their dear leader/country so much why are they here/anywhere else? Surely somewhere in the back of their minds they know their country is fucked and are staying away from that hot mess. It's like having your cake and eating it.

oti

Banned
With a collective IQ of about 100

Hey man, come on.

I wish Germany's democracy would open the eyes of his followers over here but Erdogan is more than just a politician to those people. He is Turkey, he is the "father land", he is part of their identity.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I never got it if these people love their dear leader/country so much why are they here/anywhere else? Surely somewhere in the back of their minds they know their country is fucked and is staying away from that hot mess.

There's no sense in what they do or believe. They are just thugs. They probably hope someone will come outside that they can bash.

Assuming not staged:
1) Very little participation from the military and other establishments
2) Disorganisation due to an imminent purge of non-Erdoğan military officers, perhaps why this was a last resort-like, panicked move by some officers
3) Widespread backlash and resistance from citizens
4) Did nothing to incapacitate Erdoğan, the PM, and such

Not taking out Erdogan and having too little public support are pretty much the top reasons.

Erdogan made a FaceTime call live conference on National TV urging Turkish people to go to the streets and confront the military coup forces. From that point a successful coup would only be attainable with a quick show of force and determination with the resulting civilian bloodshed, a slow even more bloodier civil war or the coup forces backing out. The fact that no one internally or externally supported the coup also was important of course, but civilians confronting the military was the turning point.

Thanks, all.

This is Turkish patriotism any Turkish leader could do the same, my fellow Turks are sheep and most don't even integrate properly and see others below them.

Elin gavuru is a common saying thrown at strangers.

Slime

Banned
I wish Germany's democracy would open the eyes of his followers over here but Erdogan is more than just a politician to those people. He is Turkey, he is the "father land", he is part of their identity.

At this point I'm surprised he hasn't claimed the surname Atatürk for himself.

noobie

Banned
If I use your logic, millions of people blinded by American propaganda machine in believing America loves peace when it's the only country which has killed most innocent people and is the only country which has used atomic bombs. Amazing isn't it that people still believe on American propaganda.

antonz

Turkish media T24 is reporting 1st Army General has been arrested. 1st Army General Specifically came out against the coup and his forces were not apart of it.

noobie

Banned
Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit
Truth is always bitter especially for Americans.

I presented facts. What was in Pakistan in 1979, dictatorship and when it arrived 1977. What was in Pakistan in 2001 dictatorship and when it arrived 1999.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Sorry I cant be fooled. Unfortunately you don't have an argument based on facts

Turkish media T24 is reporting 1st Army General has been arrested. 1st Army General Specifically came out against the coup and his forces were not apart of it.

Erdogan is paranoid.. anyone not appointed by him will most likely get hammered. I bet he wishes he backed the coup right about now.

I wish they'd go back to the country they love so much, there's no need to spread their fascist beliefs and hatred of democracy here.

We already have enough of that being homegrown.
Guess they have a right to protest no matter their opinion. Unlike in the country the so dearly love.
The irony is hysterical.
Bwahahaha.

That's what you get.

Erdogan is paranoid.. anyone not appointed by him will most likely get hammered. I bet he wishes he backed the coup right about now.

Yeap, that's what i fear. He will take this chance to take out everyone that's not a puppet.
I imagine there are sectors in the military that didn't support the coup because of "it's an elected government" or because hadn't yet reached a valid breaking point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Erdogan made a FaceTime call live conference on National TV urging Turkish people to go to the streets and confront the military coup forces. From that point a successful coup would only be attainable with a quick show of force and determination with the resulting civilian bloodshed, a slow even more bloodier civil war or the coup forces backing out. The fact that no one internally or externally supported the coup also was important of course, but civilians confronting the military was the turning point.

On CNN.

GYODX

If I use your logic, millions of people blinded by American propaganda machine in believing America loves peace when it's the only country which has killed most innocent people and is the only country which has used atomic bombs. Amazing isn't it that people still believe on American propaganda.
Guys but what about America

Regginator

Called it.

Turkey for some reason has the western world by the balls.

Erogan has nudes of Regan. Confirmed.

Assuming Turkey has substantial proof that Gulen is behind is, how can the US not honour the agreement? In that case he would be rightfully labelled a terrorist that caused great harm to Turkey's national security, and thus deserves to call for a extradition. Just as how it would be deserved if it's the other way around.

That is, if they have substantial proof, but I doubt Turkey would make such claims without anything to back them up.

Arresting a general who opposed the coup? Wow
He is doing pretty much what Hitler did after Stauffenberg's attempt on him failed.
If there is even the slightest chance you were in the know or were slightly too slow to respond then you get to catch the bullet too.

Guess those generals and officers now really wish they'd participated in the coup for real.

I do agree the the coup is as fishy as a fish
I don't think it's fishy. I think the story that was circulating about the coup planner's hands being forced ahead of schedule because of impending arrests makes most sense.
Assuming Turkey has substantial proof that Gulen is behind is, how can the US not honour the agreement? In that case he would be rightfully labelled a terrorist that caused great harm to Turkey's national security, and thus deserves to call for a extradition. Just as how it would be deserved if it's the other way around.

That is, if they have substantial proof, but I doubt Turkey would make such claims without anything to back them up.
LMFAO

I kind of want to see what kind of evidence Erdogan can get for this, he's making pretty big statements to the US about it. Perhaps communiques or messages, but would that be enough to extradite him?

Regginator

" Hi there, US. Uhm, you know, we'd like Gulen extracted to us as part of our, you know, NATO alliances, etc. etc. Uhm, proof? Yeah, about that... "

Now that would be LMFAO, so I don't what was so funny about my statement.

I kind of want to see what kind of evidence Erdogan can get for this, he's making pretty big statements to the US about it. Perhaps communiques or messages, but would that be enough to extradite him?

I have no idea, which is why I said assuming they don't go to the US with their dicks in their hands but actually have proof Gulen is behind this, I don't think the US has any right to decline that offer at all.

koji kabuto

In reality innocent people lives matter based on their nationality and race.
So when you say that "killed most innocent people" you need to answer 2 questions :

1- Are they from a western country ? Yes/No

2- What race are they?

If you answered the first question with "No" and the second question with anything but white then i'm sorry to tell you that the score on innocent dead people you got is "0" no matter what happened.

When i have discovered this reality i was shocked.

Steel

Banned
" Hi there, US. Uhm, you know, we'd like Gulen extracted to us as part of our, you know, NATO alliances, etc. etc. Uhm, proof? Yeah, about that... "

Now that would be LMFAO, so I don't what was so funny about my statement.

I have no idea, which is why I said assuming they don't go to the US with their dicks in their hands but actually have proof Gulen is behind this, I don't think the US has any right to decline that offer at all.

They were trying to get Gulen extradited on trumped up charges since 2014.

Mr Gulen, who is in self-imposed exile in the US, is accused of establishing and running an "armed terrorist group".
He was once an ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan but has now been accused of plotting to overthrow the Turkish government - a claim the cleric strongly denies.
The US is thought to be unlikely to act on any extradition request.
The move comes amid a national crackdown on perceived supporters of the cleric.

Many abroad believe that the charges against Mr Gulen are politically motivated.

While the US and Turkey have an extradition agreement, the warrant is considered to be largely symbolic - and unlikely to be acted upon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30552148

They were denied then because of lack of evidence, they will likely be denied now.

On another note, saw this:

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/754293269614460928/photo/1

Turkish PM: Any country that stands by cleric Gulen will be at war with Turkey

Drakhyrr

2745 judges and prosecutors have been purged... 24 hours later?

It seems to me more and more likely that this whole thing is a fraud. But anyway, Erdogan is using it to take down everyone who is against him, whether they had any participation in it or not.

Secularism is over in Turkey, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom