• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

When you start hearing "Allahu Akhubar" chants at political demonstrations, you know the country's secularism days are numbered.

Chittagong

Gold Member
When you start hearing "Allahu Akhubar" chants at political demonstrations, you know the country's secularism days are numbered.

Turkey going down the road of Thailand and Malaysia. They are pretty analogous in terms of formerly developed countries favoured by tourists until they were islamised.

MacBosse

That dude is set to change Turkey forever while maintaining a giant fan crowd. If that's not skillfull (regarding his goals) I don't know what is.

Well I define a skillful politician one who serves the good of the people and maintain good diplomatic relationships with the rest of the world to the best of his/hers ability.
Not how much power one can accumulate.

sirap

Turkey going down the road of Thailand and Malaysia. They are pretty analogous in terms of formerly developed countries favoured by tourists until they were islamised.

What? Thailand's main religion is Buddhism, and Islam has been Malaysia's state religion since we gained independence in 1957. We have freedom of religion, and tourism for both countries is doing fine?

Chittagong

Gold Member
What? Thailand's main religion is Buddhism, and Islam has been Malaysia's state religion since we gained independence in 1957. We have freedom of religion, and tourism for both countries is doing fine?

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but previously tourist favoured areas such as Phuket have been recently transformed a lot by the rise of islam in the region.

Malaysia, I don't have first hand experience, so I go by what I read on Reuters

Beefy

Some people on Twitter saying they are seeing a lot of beheadings. Also that a few of the younger coup soldiers are saying they were told it was training.

Nivash

I'm inclined to believe he just accelerated existing plans in the face of the coup, rather than featuring the coup as part of it. Instead of retiring and swapping out obstacles in the military and judicial system for yes men slowly over time, he's now able to do it instantly. But it would have got done either way.

This is my position too. I don't think he orchestrated it or even that he knew about it and let it happen, but it sure looks like he had planned his purge ahead of time and isn't the type to waste a good crisis.

faridmon

What a load of drivel

Thailand is not an Islamic country and Malysia is one of the popular tourist destination here in UK. In fact I have couple of friends who make their annual holiday to Malaysia a must.

Tugatrix

rPNCqww.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
Reasons the coup may be staged:

- There were only about a thousand coupists, a few tanks and planes out of a military that has some 315,000 troops. Erdogan already had more than 10,000 police officers just for the Gezi protests, so any commanding officer should have known it would fail beforehand
- The list included high ranking officers that could have easily commanded 10,000s more.
- Apparently no plan to apprehend Erdogan or the PM.
- Coup started Friday night at 2200, when young men were awake and rowdy, whereas all the previous coups took place long past midnight.
- The whole business where civilians could apparently take an airport from the military and secure it so that Erdogan could gloriously return.
- ??

Staged coup in my opinion. Farewell secular turkey. My brother said it was a beautiful country to visit. I would have enjoyed going one day but not now.

Joni

Seems like the pro-Erdogan people are riotting everywhere, they just showed six-seven attacks of Erdogan supports against 'Gulenist ' targets in Belgium.

Shiggy

I don't think it was staged. Why would those high level officers participate in a staged coup if they were to end up in prison afterwards? What would they gain?

Jesus. Beheadings are ok to ask for now?

>.>

Don't ask for beheadings of Erdogan or his supporters, that will get you banned (I suppose). In other cases, yes, looks like it's OK.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Reasons the coup may be staged:

- There were only about a thousand coupists, a few tanks and planes out of a military that has some 315,000 troops. Erdogan already had more than 10,000 police officers just for the Gezi protests, so any commanding officer should have known it would fail beforehand
- The list included high ranking officers that could have easily commanded 10,000s more.
- Apparently no plan to apprehend Erdogan or the PM.
- Coup started Friday night at 2200, when young men were awake and rowdy, whereas all the previous coups took place long past midnight.
- The whole business where civilians could apparently take an airport from the military and secure it so that Erdogan could gloriously return.
- ??
It's all very dodgy indeed
Seems like the pro-Erdogan people are riotting everywhere, they just showed six-seven attacks of Erdogan supports against 'Gulenist ' targets in Belgium.
Just send them back to their glorious leader. After all they keep praising him and his rule so why not live under it?
Don't ask for beheadings of Erdogan or his supporters, that will get you banned (I suppose). In other cases, yes, looks like it's OK.
Yeah I guess you're right. The one saying the supporters got what was coming to them when the military shot at them got banned swiftly so that seems about right.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What a load of drivel

Thailand is not an Islamic country and Malysia is one of the popular tourist destination here in UK. In fact I have couple of friends who make their annual holiday to Malaysia a must.

I never said Thailand was. I said islamisation is affecting the region. Here is Nikkei saying the same thing in a more articulate way.

And with Malaysia, a parliament which debates the introduction of hudud is certainly worth the label 'formerly developed' especially given the country's history in being a remarkable example of peaceful Christian and Muslim coexistence. Here is CNN on the matter.

I hope that clarifies my post, should have included links in my original post that I now realise came off as shooting-from-the-hip like.

But that's enough of me derailing, just wanted to clarify.

A lot of them aren't even immigrants. They are born in Belgium, but live in their own bubble with no integration in Belgium society.

I'm aware of that and that makes no difference. 2nd and 3rd generations are welcome migrate back if they feel so attached. In Germany Erdogan is holding rallies on his visits, ludicrous.

Regginator

Except he was talking about that specific F16 in question, not all the soldiers during the coup. What possible reason could that pilot have to shoot - and kill - unarmed citizens with an extremely dangerous weapon? I'm not sure Turkey does decapitations as a capital punishment, but as far as I'm concerned he shouldn't see the outside of a cell ever again. Assuming the citizens hopefully didn't get to him first.

I never said Thailand was. I said islamisation is affecting the region. Here is Nikkei saying the same thing in a more articulate way.

And with Malaysia, a parliament which debates the introduction of hudud is certainly worth the label 'formerly developed' especially given the country's history in being a remarkable example of peaceful Christian and Muslim coexistence. Here is CNN on the matter.

I hope that clarifies my post, should have included links in my original post that I now realise came off as shooting-from-the-hip like.

But that's enough of me derailing, just wanted to clarify.

Just a week or so before the first IS attack in Malaysia, a leading member of the Islamic clergy declared that non-Muslim members of a leading opposition party could be slain because they opposed the imposition of the Islamic criminal code.

Disgusting. I always thought Malaysia was safe but with the recent IS attack and the pronouncements of some of its leaders it sounds like another Muslim country to stay away from.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think it was staged. Why would those high level officers participate in a staged coup if they were to end up in prison afterwards? What would they gain?
That is, if they even participated. The commanders of the second and third army could also be apprehended as part of the cleanse in guilt by association. At the same time they're saying it was a low level coup and the people below them are not named.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Except he was talking about that specific F16 in question, not all the soldiers during the coup. What possible reason could that pilot have to shoot - and kill - unarmed citizens with an extremely dangerous weapon? I'm not sure Turkey does decapitations as a capital punishment, but as far as I'm concerned he shouldn't see the outside of a cell ever again. Assuming the citizens hopefully didn't get to him first.
There's a difference between hoping someone gets life in prison and calling for their beheading.

If you have ever hope of becoming a modern civilization you know which one to pick.

Shiggy

Would it be ok to ask for beheadings of those Erdogan supporters who killed soldiers who had not killed anyone before? Or to call for the death of Erdogan because his actions led to the death of more civilians than there were in this coup? I have significant doubts, and I don't think that's a necessary desire in a civilized society.

That is, if they even participated. The commanders of the second and third army could also be apprehended as part of the cleanse in guilt by association. At the same time they're saying it was a low level coup and the people below them are not named.

There obviously were also high level commanders involved, if current reports are to be believed. I just fail to see how they would have benefitted in a staged coup.

I think it is highly, strongly unlikely the coup was staged and much of GAF is jumping the gun. There's just too many ways something that complex can go wrong; you need to have absolute confidence that all of the people you persuaded to do this aren't going to blab in sufficient numbers. This seems unlikely when you're openly talking about the death penalty for them. If I were one of the people who had instigated the coup, what have I got out of this? Why have I gone along with Erdogan's plan?

More likely is that Erdogan simply knew something along these lines was about to happen, announced the removal of key figures from the military to force them to act now rather than later, consequently had the upper hand against a very disorganized coup, and is now using that as cover for current events.

I think him staging a false flag coup on himself is 9/11 truther style stupid, HOWEVER the idea has merit only because it worked out so well for him.

in the bizarro world where the coup was staged, it wasn't him just saying "Hey go pretend to coup and we'll take backsies after", the idea would more be that he would either have one general go for it and let it go down from there, or he would know about disgruntled people and just have a few on the payroll to incite them. Not the whole shebang.

In all honesty what almost certainly happened is he knew there was murmurs around, and either him or them accellerated it to what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom