• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has the support of his people now, but I wonder how they'll feel in a couple of years? This guy is on the path of dictatorship and awfulness in general.

Theonik

Greece wants nothing to do with this mess but in the end it could turn out to be a brilliant idea to get to Greece in the first place for those coupists. They have a Greek lawyer and whatever happens to them everyone will know about it. Thousands of people will just disappear but they won't.
It's also relatively unlikely they get extradited since Greek law and human right conventions favour their request for asylum.

norinrad

Erdogan probably pissed off some people in Washington by being friendly with Russia. I think the CIA will remove him eventually. I'd probably begin the paperwork for asylum in Qatar or Germany before it's too late :p.

norinrad

It's also relatively unlikely they get extradited since Greek law and human right conventions favour their request for asylum.

At some point Erdogan will start a diplomatic fight with Greece, paving the way for the EU as a whole to get behind Greece. I think that's where he possibly could be isolated by the EU and US.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At some point Erdogan will start a diplomatic fight with Greece, paving the way for the EU as a whole to get behind Greece. I think that's where he possibly could be isolated by the EU and US.

Maybe if Merkel/Germany were not helping Erdogan to avoid a flood of refugees. Right now there are clear attempts by governments and media in Europe to downplay Turkey's threat because it would otherwise play in the far right's hand.

No one will do anything except hope Erdogan consolidates his power before the situation becomes unstable. Then they'll just cry crocodile tears when some crime catches social media's attention. See how it is with SA.

MMaRsu

Seems like the pro-Erdogan people are riotting everywhere, they just showed six-seven attacks of Erdogan supports against 'Gulenist ' targets in Belgium.

Please Belgium, send their asses to turkey. They obviously love their leader and are willing to commit crimes in other countries for him.

MMaRsu

that wasn't a helicopter firing on civilians.

that was an F16 firing on unarmed civilians.

it is a war crime.

hope the pilot is beheaded.

Seriously if this is not a bannable offense what is? Asking for soldiers to be beheaded? Even if they did shoot at unarmed civilians ( who were told by Erdogan to go out and fight the military )

Sorry but this post boils my blood.

MMaRsu

He has the support of his people now, but I wonder how they'll feel in a couple of years? This guy is on the path of dictatorship and awfulness in general.

They'll feel great I bet. Most of his backers are Islamic and I bet they dont mind at all seeing Turkey transform into an islamic state run by a dictator. So far they dont seem to mind one bit.

Lets hope for the sane people in Turkey.

norinrad

Please Belgium, send their asses to turkey. They obviously love their leader and are willing to commit crimes in other countries for him.

Not going to happen, something something human rights and they are citizens of Belgium is what people will cry about. They will also use the the standard template, the crime was committed on Belgian soil and has nothing to do with Turkey.

I was just wondering all those who took to the streets in Holland actually love this country or not and if something is going down whether they would even bother to defend this country. It's something that worries me.

Nere

Seriously if this is not a bannable offense what is? Asking for soldiers to be beheaded? Even if they did shoot at unarmed civilians ( who were told by Erdogan to go out and fight the military )

Sorry but this post boils my blood.

I agree with you that post is disgusting, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to die like that.

nynt9

They'll feel great I bet. Most of his backers are Islamic and I bet they dont mind at all seeing Turkey transform into an islamic state run by a dictator. So far they dont seem to mind one bit.

Lets hope for the sane people in Turkey.

This sounds hyperbolic, but it is actually true. When the embezzling scandal regarding him and his family came out, the prevailing rhetoric was that "he's stealing from the seculars, so it's ok". Both Erdogan's control over the media and in general other channels of discourse have been proliferated with propaganda about how the Ottoman Empire was great and how Ataturk took that away ruined the great Islamic caliphate, and people think that going back to the caliphate and ottoman empire will be a legitimate improvement over their lives compared to the heretical, debaucherous Western style of living.

Never mind that the Ottoman Empire failed as a state and imploded, that's just irrelevant details.

sflufan

Banned
This sounds hyperbolic, but it is actually true. When the embezzling scandal regarding him and his family came out, the prevailing rhetoric was that "he's stealing from the seculars, so it's ok". Both Erdogan's control over the media and in general other channels of discourse have been proliferated with propaganda about how the Ottoman Empire was great and how Ataturk took that away ruined the great Islamic caliphate, and people think that going back to the caliphate and ottoman empire will be a legitimate improvement over their lives compared to the heretical, debaucherous Western style of living.

Never mind that the Ottoman Empire failed as a state and imploded, that's just irrelevant details.

Add to that the fact that debauchery and corruption at a level that even Western liberals would find offensive was prevalent within the Ottoman Empire itself.

meppi

The dumb shit I have been banned for...

Indeed. I've been banned for making jokes about people who get "offended" at the most insignificant shit, yet calling for someone to be beheaded is a-okay on here now?

SMFH. :-/

Sadly our system is fucked up beyond repair it seems, so nothing will happen.
Perhaps they get detained, but a day or two later they will be walking the streets free as always.
Just look at how they handled an actual attack over here. Shit just doen't work. :(

Based on how many Islamist dumbasses live in Turkey it's no wonder the constitution has a clause for a coup to take the government out if it gets too Islamic. When that many people support Islamism no wonder secularism has to be preserved by force. No doubt Erdogan will remove that from the constitution along with secularism in due time. Turkey to become full on Islamic.

Renekton

Based on how many Islamist dumbasses live in Turkey it's no wonder the constitution has a clause for a coup to take the government out if it gets too Islamic. When that many people support Islamism no wonder secularism has to be preserved by force. No doubt Erdogan will remove that from the constitution along with secularism in due time. Turkey to become full on Islamic.
Not unlike my country, the majority wants an Islamist dictatorship.

Even our corrupt prime minister is supporting Erdogan.

norinrad

There won't probably be anymore coupes. Erdogan has sent all the judges on his list to jail, all the army generals he hated are also in jail, exiled or being intimidated. With all his enemies out of the way. He can sit back and relax. He's a smart man. Regardless of how you look at things.

There won't probably be anymore coupes. Erdogan has sent all the judges on his list to jail, all the army generals he hated are also in jail, exiled or being intimidated. With all his enemies out of the way. He can sit back and relax. He's a smart man. Regardless of how you look at things.

Europe should encourage liberal Turks to emigrate over and have a future. We should also encourage the crazies to go back to Turkey if they love Erdogan so much. Erdogan supporters in America, etc. should go back if they love him so much.

dakun

Erdogan probably pissed off some people in Washington by being friendly with Russia. I think the CIA will remove him eventually. I'd probably begin the paperwork for asylum in Qatar or Germany before it's too late :p.

has there ever been an example where a head of state, who was supported as much as Erdogan is, was removed successfully?

Obviously another Gulen supporter!

The more loyal they seem the greater the chance they're actually Gulenists.

I give it 5 years before Turkey, now run by Erdogan cronies top to bottom is undergoing a Venezuela style collapse. It's got a popular but deluded autocrat, now a failed coup to feed his paranoia, messing with the judicial system and mobs of regime supporters going wild in the streets.

NATO won't do shit, no matter what.

Turkey is located at the very border to the middle east, so it's geological position is utmost important to the US and European countries. Erdogan has to do A LOT before he oversteps the mark. He can even get away with claiming the US (!!!) were somehow involved in this coup, as they give Gollum, sorry, Gülen shelter.

So, as long as Erdogan is somehow "useful" to the rest of the civilized world and the US, like in not letting Syrian refugees ship over to Greece or give NATO forces an airbase so that they can attack ISIS, he will be fine.

Yep Turkey is way too important for EU and US to make any moves against them.

Pushing them into alliance with Russians would be complete disaster for Nato

Whatever happened made the Turkish army look very weak,
If the coup was real then something is wrong with one of the strongest armies in the region,
If the coup was staged then how can they agree to play such a demeaning role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom