• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So how are there more judges "allegedly" part of the coup than soldiers? Your majesty Sultan Erdogan, I don't think that's how a coup works.

nynt9

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnkCVMuWAAApQPB.jpg:large

and even when you watch the video the civilian are running too him after the car hit him and ran

That is clearly not the same thing. Are you even listening to the civilians? They say "We killed four, this is going to be the fifth, we are going to kill you, you will pay for this" Also look at the barrier by the road in the picture. It's clearly a different scenario. That's not the same situation in the pic you linked. It's clearly different. The guy filming it also says "let me hit him too, it will make me feel better" at the end. They also kick the soldier near the beginning of the video.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Every sane person left probably wish they supported and made it a proper coup right now.

Forgot the square root of Hitler * Stalin in the equation.

7YpGYq9.gif

That is clearly not the same thing. Are you even listening to the civilians? They say "We killed four, this is going to be the fifth, we are going to kill you, you will pay for this" Also look at the barrier by the road in the picture. It's clearly a different scenario. That's not the same situation in the pic you linked. It's clearly different. The guy filming it also says "let me hit him too, it will make me feel better" at the end.

http://www.cnnturk.com/2006/turkiye...rildi.bir.sehit.uc.yarali/190278.0/index.html

3 got injured one got killed after Military vehicle overturned

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That is clearly not the same thing. Are you even listening to the civilians? They say "We killed four, this is going to be the fifth, we are going to kill you, you will pay for this" Also look at the barrier by the road in the picture. It's clearly a different scenario.

Clearly they were speaking of the occupants of the car that hit the soldier. Must have been a monster truck seeing as it hit no other part of his body besides his head, and it must have been a love tap because his head isn't mush either.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...dogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

I do not believe he was praising hilter's or Nazi crimes. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note. The guy may not be popular outside his country. But sure in hell is popular in Turkey, and that's all that matters.

None of the accusations posted here on GAF are with concrete evidence. It seems they all stem from either hating the guy because he is of a Muslim background, not accepting the idea that secularism democratic system may lead to electing people with religious idealogoies, or just pure Islamophobia.

The guy and his party are not perfect, even the Turkish people are aware of that and they are fine with it. Until the Turkish people feel that the AKP are not fit for the job, they will elect them out of the office.

The Turkish channel and the reporter that broadcasted Erdogan's FaceTime message (lol btw) are anti AKP. But that did not stop them from doing so because deep down they know that a coup Will never lead to democracy and freedom of press.

It does not matter how many articles you read on the Internet about rigged elections and prosecuting journalists. What matters is the popular confidence in the system. And in Turkey the vast majority of people still thinks the system is still democratic. From an outsider perspective, the internal US news for instance sounds like a civil war is about to break, which of course not true. Why? Because the US people do not believe so and that's all that matters.

yea I hate him because he's a muslim, not because he just used a coup to dismantle the judicial system and erode the government constitution.

u got me

nynt9

Ok, but do you speak Turkish? The guy filming the video is very clearly talking about killing the soldier on the ground. I mean come on. You are blatantly wrong.

Also here's a comparison pic for you (NSFL obviously). Different location, different time of day/light, different people around, different body type of soldier.

http://i.imgur.com/S0Z9HS5.png

edit: sorry for briefly using IMG tag instead of URL, fixed

Let me transcribe the video for you:

We killed four of them, time for the fifth. Dog.
Son of a bitch!
You will pay for this, die
*Cop fires warning shot*
Let me hit once for god's sake, you killed my brothers
Son of a bitch

The event you linked is in Eastern Turkey, this is VERY OBVIOUSLY the bosphorus bridge in istanbul. There is no sea in eastern Turkey. Just give up.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Ok, but do you speak Turkish? The guy filming the video is very clearly talking about killing the soldier on the ground. I mean come on. You are blatantly wrong.

Also here's a comparison pic for you (NSFL obviously). Different location, different time of day/light, different people around, different body type of soldier.

I'm not clicking but to let you know I didn't see it at all so you should be good

it is the same dude

shirt opened up he was just dragged further down

maybe these dudes were talking about how the vehicle got turned over

maybe they were involved in it

I am not the only one debunking this

regardless if they killed him or not it IS FROM 2006 and not 2016

Let me transcribe the video for you:

We killed four of them, time for the fifth. Dog.
Son of a bitch!
You will pay for this, die
*Cop fires warning shot*
Let me hit once for god's sake, you killed my brothers
Son of a bitch

The event you linked is in Eastern Turkey, this is VERY OBVIOUSLY the bosphorus bridge in istanbul. There is no sea in eastern Turkey. Just give up.
okay you now what maybe I am wrong

but he wasn't beheaded the dudes head is still intact with his body

there was another image of people carry them away....

nynt9

but he wasn't beheaded the dudes head is still intact with his body

Yeah the beheading rumor was wrong, they just beat them to a pulp and killed 4 others (apparently not seen in any video). Shameful on both sides, really. In the end the common folk and soldiers lose out whereas politicians manipulating the events win.

Yeah the beheading rumor was wrong, they just beat them to a pulp and killed 4 others (apparently not seen in any video). Shameful on both sides, really. In the end the common folk and soldiers lose out whereas politicians manipulating the events win.

Indeed some civilians went bonkers and we all should condemn that

the same bridge also had people firing at civilians last I recall too

if those soldiers were involved idk

there is a chance they were tossed into the post fury fray

Edit: Then those red crescent ambulance people came and broke it up

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...dogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

I do not believe he was praising hilter's or Nazi crimes. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note. The guy may not be popular outside his country. But sure in hell is popular in Turkey, and that's all that matters.

None of the accusations posted here on GAF are with concrete evidence. It seems they all stem from either hating the guy because he is of a Muslim background, not accepting the idea that secularism democratic system may lead to electing people with religious idealogoies, or just pure Islamophobia.

The guy and his party are not perfect, even the Turkish people are aware of that and they are fine with it. Until the Turkish people feel that the AKP are not fit for the job, they will elect them out of the office.

The Turkish channel and the reporter that broadcasted Erdogan's FaceTime message (lol btw) are anti AKP. But that did not stop them from doing so because deep down they know that a coup Will never lead to democracy and freedom of press.

It does not matter how many articles you read on the Internet about rigged elections and prosecuting journalists. What matters is the popular confidence in the system. And in Turkey the vast majority of people still thinks the system is still democratic. From an outsider perspective, the internal US news for instance sounds like a civil war is about to break, which of course not true. Why? Because the US people do not believe so and that's all that matters.
What a crock of goddamn shit.

Tecnniqe

Banned
;)
There are lot of these fuckers over here now. Seems like a problem to me.
Integration is a important part of taking people into your society and most of Europe fails at that which makes these small isolated communities.
At the very least, if these lunatic fascists can't be thrown out, they need to all be jailed and charged until their wallets bleed.
If they ain't citizen send them back to Turkey where they can fight for their dear glorious leader and if they are citizens put them behind bars like any other criminal.

;)

Integration is a important part of taking people into your society and most of Europe fails at that which makes these small isolated communities.
How do we do a better job at integrating the kind of person who loves Erdogan?

That's not snark, that's a genuine query. It seems a difficult task.

Tecnniqe

Banned

The problem seems to be that these communities have existed for years and decades where they've had the ability to flourish the nonsense from back home without having to integrate into the country's society.

I'm not sure how you can fix that now.

It's a complex issue but looking from the outside in that's what it seems like is the root of the problem.

The problem seems to be that these communities have existed for years and decades where they've had the ability to flourish the nonsense from back home without having to integrate into the country's society.

How do you force someone to integrate if they don't want to. It's proven to be impossible until now.

I've been called a traitor in this very thread for expressing my fear that Erdoğan's mobs will gain power in this country, and yet this is somehow still the most bafflingly idiotic and infuriating post ITT I've read so far.

Fuck you. If you honestly dare defend Erdoğan by saying criticism of him is Islamophobia or prejudice or a lack of understanding of basic democracy, FUCK YOU.

I've lived in this country ever since Erdoğan came into power (Born 1999 and raised in Turkey). Were you here when Erdoğan deemed men and women were unequal because you couldn't make a woman work in a field as long as a man? Were you here when he threatened the Gezi protesters by saying he'd let his "50%" (his voter base then of the Turkish population) on them? Were you here when government officials forcibly shut down an anti-government newspaper building and turned it into an Erdoğan propaganda machine overnight? Were you here when Erdoğan personally had a doctor jailed for two fucking years for posting a picture comparing Erdoğan and Gollum on Facebook? You were not. You were fucking not, and sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, fuck you for trying to validate Erdoğan's tyranny. I'd dissect your post further, but if you accuse people of Islamophobia based on criticism of a person who's probably in the running for being the most understandable reason why people hate the Islamic world, you're not worth talking to. You haven't the slightest fucking clue of the struggle and oppression in Turkey you're trying to invalidate.

Fuck you.

They've gone completely nuts over there. Captured soldiers are forced to look at Erdogan for hours:

CnkDkg1XYAAcZRd.jpg

Re-Education has begun!

Instructor: "Who's the founder of Turkey?"
Prisoners: "Ataturk"
Gunshot goes off
Instructor: "Lets try that again. Who's the founder of Turkey?"
Prisoners: "Erdogan"
Instructor: "Very good"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They've gone completely nuts over there. Captured soldiers are forced to look at Erdogan for hours:

CnkDkg1XYAAcZRd.jpg

They should put a quote above the picture from Obama: respect the democratically elected government.

Cognitive dissonance in action.

petran79

Banned
Neither did I but I'm trying to understand their point of view. I read an interview with a Belorussian lady somewhere in which she said she's happy she's living in a dictatorship since that makes her feel safe. That doesn't make sense to me but for her after seeing all the propaganda on TV I'm sure that makes total sense. For Turkey I feel like it has a lot to do with national pride. I'm Greek and grew up in Germany, I can sense the contrast between the two nations when it comes to patriotism and such. I've met Turks, Greeks, Armenians, Russians etc. who are obsessed with their countries and blinded by it. I've had Armenians in my class saying they would go to war against Turkey to die for their country and die an "honorable death" because that's the highest achievement they could think of. And those were people who grew up in Germany, a country in which the thought of "honourable deaths" is absurd. Turkey is a nation that has always played a very imoortant role in world's history. I feel like they (the Turks) feel undermined by other powers, trying to downplay their power. Erdogan uses that and is very successfull with it. That doesn't make any sense to me but to his people? Sure.

the funny thing is that immigrants in Germany who return to their respective countries, get even worse than the natives when it comes to adapting the dominant mentality and anomy

Theonik

A lot of those people are second generation migrants which were there before erdogan.

It's a hard question to be sure. Growing up in a foreign country makes them latch to their Turkish identity quite strongly which leads to this.
This isn't necessarily something someone maliciously instilled in them. Such things also intensify as these groups become marginalised and then form their own communities. They never feel part of local society.

e: It's basically a form of identity complex. They feel they have something to prove. You sometimes notice the opposite in some other second generation migrants where they try their hardest to integrate sometimes taking local values to extremes.

CnkDkg1XYAAcZRd.jpg
If this is real, holy shit, the comparisons to people like Stalin and Hitler wouldn't be as hyberbolic as people said.
Fuck you.
giphy.gif

It's a complex issue but looking from the outside in that's what it seems like is the root of the problem.
That's the thing.

What's really mind boggling is that some of these Erdogan supporters outside of Turkey are actually like second and third generation. How the hell do you integrate them now?
A lot of those people are second generation migrants which were there before erdogan.

It's a hard question to be sure. Growing up in a foreign country makes them latch to their Turkish identity quite strongly which leads to this. This isn't necessarily something someone maliciously instilled in them. Such things also intensify as these groups become marginalised and then form their own communities. They never feel part of local society.
Yep. Absolutely.

I've been called a traitor in this very thread for expressing my fear that Erdoğan's mobs will gain power in this country, and yet this is somehow still the most bafflingly idiotic and infuriating post ITT I've read so far.

Fuck you. If you honestly dare defend Erdoğan by saying criticism of him is Islamophobia or prejudice or a lack of understanding of basic democracy, FUCK YOU.

I've lived in this country ever since Erdoğan came into power (Born 1999 and raised in Turkey). Were you here when Erdoğan deemed men and women were unequal because you couldn't make a woman work in a field as long as a man? Were you here when he threatened the Gezi protesters by saying he'd let his "50%" (his voter base then of the Turkish population) on them? Were you here when government officials forcibly shut down an anti-government newspaper building and turned it into an Erdoğan propaganda machine overnight? Were you here when Erdoğan personally had a doctor jailed for two fucking years for posting a picture comparing Erdoğan and Gollum on Facebook? You were not. You were fucking not, and sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, fuck you for trying to validate Erdoğan's tyranny. I'd dissect your post further, but if you accuse people of Islamophobia based on criticism of a person who's probably in the running for being the most understandable reason why people hate the Islamic world, you're not worth talking to. You haven't the slightest fucking clue of the struggle and oppression in Turkey you're trying to invalidate.

Fuck you.

Stay classy my friend.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If this is real, holy shit, the comparisons to people like Stalin and Hitler wouldn't be as hyberbolic as people said.

giphy.gif

That's the thing.

What's really mind boggling is that some of these Erdogan supporters outside of Turkey are actually like second and third generation. How the hell do you integrate them now?

Yep. Absolutely.
Not sure, but why would you stay in a country you don't feel a part of but you don't go back to the country you are willing to fight over?

Makes little sense.
Stay classy my friend.
Keep writing it off like nothing. Must be glorious.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Maybe for economic/career opportunities that they don't have in their own country? I dunno.
Yeah but if that's the reason don't that mean they are chanting for worse living conditions and work?

If everything is so amazing here when it comes to jobs and what not, would you not chant for that country instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom