• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait I've been hearing news that Erdogan's closet friend (his campaign maker) and his son were killed by the coup guys

If true no wonder why he had that speechless face when those guys whispered something to him during his speech in the airport

----

On another note Erdogan's paranoia is likely going to sky rocket even more then cool down

norinrad

He also had a fallout with the former foreign minister who was replaced by the current one about four months ago, i wonder if hes next on his list?

I've heard that the US is stopping all flights from Turkey and connecting flights with Turkey due to reports of low security at Ataturk Airport.

Can anyone get a legit source on it or is it bogus?

I wonder what Turkish Airlines new motto will be after this. I don't think they can use "Europe's Best" after this has tarnished the national image.

I've heard that the US is stopping all flights from Turkey and connecting flights with Turkey due to reports of low security at Ataturk Airport.

Can anyone get a legit source on it or is it bogus?

I wonder what Turkish Airlines new motto will be after this. I don't think they can use "Europe's Best" after this has tarnished the national image.

Obviously "Not associated with Gulen"

Lol some are calling me a Christian on my twitter account for saying that this might be a staged coup 😂

Wow I fear for the Christians in Selçuk and all over Turkey, when I went there in February it looked to have a large Christian population near the House of Mary.

Greece wants nothing to do with this mess but in the end it could turn out to be a brilliant idea to get to Greece in the first place for those coupists. They have a Greek lawyer and whatever happens to them everyone will know about it. Thousands of people will just disappear but they won't.
That was definitely a smart move. If they and their lawyer play their cards right, they'll be stuck in a Greek trial for at least a year and will get prosecuted for 'minor' offenses, staying a year or two in a Greek prison and then not getting returned to Turkey for facing the threat of death (the death penalty will have been long implemented then). Better than ending up in front of a staged trial or simply disappearing no matter how you look at it.

Because "just flying out wounded soldiers and knew absolutely nothing of a coup" is definitely not the case when a frickin' Colonel was aboard the Black Hawk.

For a guy that stated that Hitler's Germany is an effective government

I say, let them post

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...dogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

I do not believe he was praising hilter's or Nazi crimes. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note. The guy may not be popular outside his country. But sure in hell is popular in Turkey, and that's all that matters.

None of the accusations posted here on GAF are with concrete evidence. It seems they all stem from either hating the guy because he is of a Muslim background, not accepting the idea that secularism democratic system may lead to electing people with religious idealogoies, or just pure Islamophobia.

The guy and his party are not perfect, even the Turkish people are aware of that and they are fine with it. Until the Turkish people feel that the AKP are not fit for the job, they will elect them out of the office.

The Turkish channel and the reporter that broadcasted Erdogan's FaceTime message (lol btw) are anti AKP. But that did not stop them from doing so because deep down they know that a coup Will never lead to democracy and freedom of press.

It does not matter how many articles you read on the Internet about rigged elections and prosecuting journalists. What matters is the popular confidence in the system. And in Turkey the vast majority of people still thinks the system is still democratic. From an outsider perspective, the internal US news for instance sounds like a civil war is about to break, which of course not true. Why? Because the US people do not believe so and that's all that matters.

oti

Banned
None of the accusations posted here on GAF are with concrete evidence. It seems they all stem from either hating the guy because he is of a Muslim background, not accepting the idea that secularism democratic system may lead to electing people with religious idealogoies, or just pure Islamophobia.

Really?

Really?

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...dogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

I do not believe he was praising hilter's or Nazi crimes. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

On a side note. The guy may not be popular outside his country. But sure in hell is popular in Turkey, and that's all that matters.

The guy and his party are not perfect, even the Turkish people are aware of that and they are fine with it. Until the Turkish people feel that the AKP are not fit for the job, they will elect them out of the office.

The Turkish channel and the reporter that broadcasted Erdogan's FaceTime message (lol btw) are anti AKP. But that did not stop them from doing so because deep down they know that a coup Will never lead to democracy and freedom of press.

It does not matter how many articles you read on the Internet about rigged elections and prosecuting journalists. What matters is the popular confidence in the system. And in Turkey the vast majority of people still thinks the system is still democratic. From an outsider perspective, the internal US news for instance sounds like a civil war is about to break, which of course not true. Why? Because the US people do not believe so and that's all that matters.
The only thing you have correct is that he is popular in Turkey. Everything else is pure delusion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So many Erdogan supporters on Gaf, kind of crazy.

I mean, he has the support of approximately half of all Turkish people. If we're extending 'Erdogan supporters' to simply anyone who disagreed with the coup, it's probably upwards of 80%. What were you expecting?

spekkeh

Banned

Hmm crap. Seems like you've got us all figured out.

Steel

Banned
Turkey coup: Soldiers say they were 'not aware they were part of coup attempt'

They said commanders told them they were taking part in military manoeuvres

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...aware-part-of-overthrow-attempt-a7140611.html

I could totally see this being the case. It'd be hard to get a bunch of low level soldiers in the know on a coup without it getting out.

Won't stop them from getting lynched once Erdogan reinstates the death penalty, though.

At this point he's just gonna remove every single solitary military officer, isn't he?

I mean, he has the support of approximately half of all Turkish people. If we're extending 'Erdogan supporters' to simply anyone who disagreed with the coup, it's probably upwards of 80%. What were you expecting?

I don't think there are many people that actually support the coup here so much as if it was going to happen would have preferred it had succeeded rather than give Erdogan more power.

Beefy

Just find it crazy is all. I haven't a clue why anyone would be a supporter of a person like Erdogan.

Steel

Banned
Just find it crazy is all. I haven't a clue why anyone would be a supporter of a person like Erdogan.

There'd be a lot of other countries with extremely popular christian versions of Erdogan in charge if they didn't have separation of church and state down at a constitutional level. There have to be brakes on democracy at a deep level to prevent the rule of the mob.

oti

Banned
@Conflicts

VIDEO: Erdogan supporters attack school associated w/ Gulen in #Germany after failed coup -@thevocaleurope

https://mobile.twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754687891792625664

I have no words. This should not be tolerated in Germany. They can shout Turkiye and wave their flags all they want, this is their home and their right, but this violence is unacceptable behaviour.

Why? Erdogan isn't the first politician who's using patriotism and nationalism for his needs. And it's Turkey we're talking about.

Wow I fear for the Christians in Selçuk and all over Turkey, when I went there in February it looked to have a large Christian population near the House of Mary.
The Christians in Turkey have faced persecution for over 560 years. This isn't anything new to them.

Purely business as usual.

Beefy

Why? Erdogan isn't the first politician who's using patriotism and nationalism for his needs. And it's Turkey we're talking about.

I guess it's because I was bought up not to believe everything you see and hear. I can see why others haven't been, but still to me it is mad.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

you-got-me.gif

by the way

sorry to ask but was that soldier getting his throat slit in a brownish camo uniform?

If so apparently that is a old pic from Syria (From Twitter)

Not graphic pic still of knife on throat

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnkvF0uUkAAHH7l.jpg:large

It was also on Time's 2013 picture nominations
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnkdFLuUEAAI1nW.jpg:large

Yes, it was.

And now the Bloodied Soldier Face was a picture from 2006

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnkCVMuWAAApQPB.jpg:large

A car accident apparently

-------------

So the "beheading" were indeed fake

The shirtless soldiers were real though

It does not matter if there are rigged elections or journalists being thrown in jail, as long as there is some kind of confidence in the system? I mean, those things are happening. The free press is under attack in Turkey and journalists have been fired or jailed for being critical. Or is that just all lies being spread on the internet?

oti

Banned
I guess it's because I was bought up not to believe everything you see and hear. I can see why others haven't been, but still to me it is mad.

Neither did I but I'm trying to understand their point of view. I read an interview with a Belorussian lady somewhere in which she said she's happy she's living in a dictatorship since that makes her feel safe. That doesn't make sense to me but for her after seeing all the propaganda on TV I'm sure that makes total sense. For Turkey I feel like it has a lot to do with national pride. I'm Greek and grew up in Germany, I can sense the contrast between the two nations when it comes to patriotism and such. I've met Turks, Greeks, Armenians, Russians etc. who are obsessed with their countries and blinded by it. I've had Armenians in my class saying they would go to war against Turkey to die for their country and die an "honorable death" because that's the highest achievement they could think of. And those were people who grew up in Germany, a country in which the thought of "honourable deaths" is absurd. Turkey is a nation that has always played a very imoortant role in world's history. I feel like they (the Turks) feel undermined by other powers, trying to downplay their power. Erdogan uses that and is very successfull with it. That doesn't make any sense to me but to his people? Sure.

nynt9

And now the Bloodied Soldier Face was a picture from 2006

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnkCVMuWAAApQPB.jpg:large

A car accident apparently

There was one video from the Bosphorus bridge that is actually legitimate though. Soldier's face beaten to a pulp, cops rush in and stop the crowd. It's clearly from the coup, because no such incident has happened on the bridge before and you can clearly see it's the bridge from the panning shots. The twitter account that posted it has been locked down though.

Edit: it's on liveleak. NSFL though: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=603_1468690641 (the first one is clearly from this coup. They say "we killed four, this is the fifth. Dog! Son of a bitch! Die!")

There was one video from the Bosphorus bridge that is actually legitimate though. Soldier's face beaten to a pulp, cops rush in and stop the crowd. It's clearly from the coup, because no such incident has happened on the bridge before and you can clearly see it's the bridge from the panning shots. The twitter account that posted it has been locked down though.

Edit: it's on liveleak. NSFL though: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=603_1468690641 (the first one is clearly from this coup. They say "we killed four, this is the fifth. Dog! Son of a bitch! Die!")

again that first one isn't... it is from 2006

nynt9

again that first one isn't it from 2006

I don't recall a soldier being lynched by civilians on the bosphorus bridge in 2006, or any event that might cause that. Source?

If you're referring to the post above, that's clearly a different soldier. Pay attention to the positioning. The image says it's a car accident but the civilians are saying "we killed four, this is the fifth" - that's not a car accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom