• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
No we dont. Erdogan is democratically elected. Military coups are always bad news.

WRONG. I will post again.

You are too naive to understand how "democracy" actually works in other countries. "elected" dictators dissolve branches of government, buy elections, persecute the press, imprison critics, bribe judges and the military, etc.

The best you can hope for is individuals in the military not succumbing to bribes and power and siding with the people.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I find it funny that whenever a "conservative" leader is chosen then he has rigged it, but when a secularist has won... Then the elections are fair.

Let the people decide and there were UN and EU body said the elections are fair...

Aside from that Edorgans dictatorship policies were against the democratic notion of the country...

But I hope CHP doesn't come into power due to their incompetence and corruption in the past.

Time was running out for that. Erdogan was setting himself up to hold power indefinitely.

So far, the military seems to try to not involve (or firing) civils. I hope it continue...

It's Erdogan and his flock that worry me. The civilians would just be in the middle of a conflict.

I don't think it'll be as peaceful as the coup that removed Morsi in Egypt.

skny

I live in ıstanbul and I'm VERY close to many military gatherings. I wasnt planning to go outside anyways.... Hope this doesnt turn into a civil war.

JP_

Banned
Kemalists are the main faction - secularist nationalists keen on modernization. But they had a failed coup attempt not long ago, and Erdogan replaced lots of them with Islamists, so this would be a coup by relatively junior officers if so. Bad situation would be followers of Gulen, who's like Erdogan++.

The military leader supposedly being held hostage -- which faction is he?

Kemalists are the main faction - secularist nationalists keen on modernization. But they had a failed coup attempt not long ago, and Erdogan replaced lots of them with Islamists, so this would be a coup by relatively junior officers if so. Bad situation would be followers of Gulen, who's like Erdogan++.

Paul Mason tweeted this:
Turkey: Govt sources paint this as Gulenist coup; on ground sources say progressive and Kemalists masses = bystanders so far
https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/754055017921974272

and retweeted this:
Just before a military summit, where the Gulenists were expected to be eliminated from the army
https://twitter.com/cerenkenar/status/754053019633876994

nynt9

No we dont. Erdogan is democratically elected. Military coups are always bad news.

This is flat out untrue. Every Turkish military coup has ended as a net positive, removing Islamists/cronyists and establishing democracy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_coups_in_Turkey

Whether Erdogan is democratically elected is super dubious to begin with. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Elector...uring_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

To be fair, Erdogan's government always blames Fethullah Gulen for everything immediately.

Roronoa95

Like Hitler.

point-godwin-thumb.jpg

chadskin

Yes, it was just a lame joke. thatsthejoke.gif

In any case, I wonder what Merkel is thinking about all of this. All the shit she took just to get a shitty deal with Erdogan, and now this happens.

Technically, she made the deal with PM Davutoglu at the time.

Arkanius

I'm not sure on what to feel right now.
Turkey needs to be stable... Sure Erdogan was not the best, but I saw too many Arab Spring countries turn to shit after the "military coups"...

Sijil

This is a double edged sword for the neighboring countries, one one hand a secular military government would reconsider the policies towards Syria and might turn against groups Erdogan supported, like JAN or Ahrar al Sham.

On the other hand the Turkish military might take a more heavy handed approach to Kurdish expansionism in northern Syria.

spekkeh

Banned
In Turkey, if their military coups are always generally good and repels religious fanatics from gaining or maintaining power, why the hell are these secular leaders not just voted in?

Is there no confidence in the election system or mass corruption? Seems weird for a relatively well-adjusted country.
A constitution is there in the first place to protect the people from a dictatorship of the majority. 90% of Turkey are (in name) Sunni Muslims, so if they want to, say, create a system hugely preferencing Sunni Muslims, this would easily get voted in, and fuck over minorities. This is (among others) the reason secularism is so strongly valued in Turkey, to the point that it is considered essential for the existence of the state.

dakun

My mother is in Istanbul right now. She's save. My Aunt is getting gas for the car and some money to buy food and water.

They are all secular Turks so they don't feel sorry for the government at all. But they are afraid of the fallout

You guys don't understand this will kick back turkey 50 years.

All the advancement were for nothing. The common people are fucked here. But what do you all care tho? Your not living there.

Rafy

People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

According to the Turkish constitution,"duty of the armed forces is to protect and safeguard Turkish territory and the Turkish Republic as stipulated by the constitution."

His behavior is evidence that he has been doing the opposite. In fact, he has imprisoned high-ranking military personnel to avoid such a coup.

EDIT: I am not endorsing this type of action either, just stating the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom