• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakun

I've been called a traitor in this very thread for expressing my fear that Erdoğan's mobs will gain power in this country, and yet this is somehow still the most bafflingly idiotic and infuriating post ITT I've read so far.

Fuck you. If you honestly dare defend Erdoğan by saying criticism of him is Islamophobia or prejudice or a lack of understanding of basic democracy, FUCK YOU.

I've lived in this country ever since Erdoğan came into power (Born 1999 and raised in Turkey). Were you here when Erdoğan deemed men and women were unequal because you couldn't make a woman work in a field as long as a man? Were you here when he threatened the Gezi protesters by saying he'd let his "50%" (his voter base then of the Turkish population) on them? Were you here when government officials forcibly shut down an anti-government newspaper building and turned it into an Erdoğan propaganda machine overnight? Were you here when Erdoğan personally had a doctor jailed for two fucking years for posting a picture comparing Erdoğan and Gollum on Facebook? You were not. You were fucking not, and sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, fuck you for trying to validate Erdoğan's tyranny. I'd dissect your post further, but if you accuse people of Islamophobia based on criticism of a person who's probably in the running for being the most understandable reason why people hate the Islamic world, you're not worth talking to. You haven't the slightest fucking clue of the struggle and oppression in Turkey you're trying to invalidate.

Fuck you.

Thank you. Fuck the people who still have the nerve to defend this guy.

Tyaren

I wonder if Erdogan has become so crazy that he really thinks the EU will ever have Turkey after this. Or maybe he's realized it's a pipe dream and now he's like: "Oh well, f**** it! Now I do want I want!"

Theonik

What's really mind boggling is that some of these Erdogan supporters outside of Turkey are actually like second and third generation. How the hell do you integrate them now?
Their parents tend to be better integrated and moderate. This is a second generation identity problem more than anything. They lack the same sense of purpose their parents had when they immigrated for a better standard of living or whatever it was.

Condom

Europe should encourage liberal Turks to emigrate over and have a future. We should also encourage the crazies to go back to Turkey if they love Erdogan so much. Erdogan supporters in America, etc. should go back if they love him so much.
Sorry but that is ridiculous and sounds like the same tactics right-wing people suggest.

Why don't you feel the duty to help people forward and grow progressive movements?

At least 40% of Turkey's voters are secular and without counting the fascists that is something like 30%+ left-wing/progressive voters. More than enough to ensure a realistic possibility of a progressive Turkey.
They've gone completely nuts over there. Captured soldiers are forced to look at Erdogan for hours:

CnkDkg1XYAAcZRd.jpg
This is literally something uncle Stalin did with Gulag prisoners, welp.

Their parents tend to be better integrated and moderate. This is a second generation identity problem more than anything. They lack the same sense of purpose their parents had when they immigrated for a better standard of living.
That makes sense.

Again I'm not really sure how to remedy that though.

Security Services Quash Armenia Coup Rumours
http://news.sky.com/story/security-services-quash-armenia-coup-rumours-10504182

A group of armed men have taken control of a police station in Armenia's capital Yerevan, prompting rumours to spread on social media that a coup is under way against the government.

One officer has been killed and two people have been wounded during the takeover.

Security services are negotiating with the men who have taken hostages and reportedly demanded the release of opposition leader and military commander Jirair Sefilian who was arrested in June while campaigning for regime change.

Sure he's being a bit emotional which is understandable, but you seem to have some weird tendencies yourself with the level of love you have exhibited for Erdogan in this whole thread.

Sure I understand his immaturity.
I am not sure about weird tendencies though, what makes my tenfencies so weird in your opinion. The AKP and Erdoğan are popular in Turkey. Do you think the majority of Turkish people are brainwashed fools with no sense of reality. Having an opposing arguments that tries to make sense of Turkish politics makes you look weird now?

From what you read on GAF it seems that Turkey is a really fucked up place with a lot of people presenting their reasoning as to why it's fucked up and it should be saved before things gets out of hand and turns into a fascist state. The truth is simply not the case, go visit turkey and interact with all people from different shades of society, you will not get the feeling that turkey is on the brink of collapse.

The coup showed how resilient and witty the turkish people are, and how they ended the coup in few hours without firing a single bullet, Despite having military forces killing some civilians. If it was a really fucked up place, then the outcome would have been the complete opposite.

They've gone completely nuts over there. Captured soldiers are forced to look at Erdogan for hours:

CnkDkg1XYAAcZRd.jpg

Any reasonable Turkish citizen who sees this sort of thing must be terrified for their future and I very much doubt this will sit well with the rest of the armed forces, pro-coup or not.

A group of armed men have taken control of a police station in Armenia's capital Yerevan, prompting rumours to spread on social media that a coup is under way against the government.

One officer has been killed and two people have been wounded during the takeover.

Security services are negotiating with the men who have taken hostages and reportedly demanded the release of opposition leader and military commander Jirair Sefilian who was arrested in June while campaigning for regime change.
Sounds like an excuse to complete the Armenian Genocide.

Or maybe Erdogan forces extremes.

lol Erdogan isn't some shiny star and he has some true crazy ego problems

he is also bad at certain freedoms, a control freak now paranoid and the dude acts like a maniac at times to reassure his base

but some anti Erdogan posts here have jumped the shark to insanity

this thread is filled with uber Erdogan fans and uber anti Erdogan fans

it is like a contest of some sort
I'm not exactly sure how you can take the middle ground on Erdogan given what we've witnessed over the last couple of days.

The middle ground is purely the diplomatic approach and there's no need for diplomacy here.

but some anti Erdogan posts here have jumped the shark to insanity
Take a look at the photo above your post and ask yourself who has jumped the shark?

Damn these Gulenists are everywhere! Guess Erdogan has no choice now but to invade and annex Armenia.

Tyaren

The coup showed how resilient and witty the turkish people are, and how they ended the coup in few hours without firing a single bullet, Despite having military forces killing some civilians. If it was a really fucked up place, then the outcome would have been the complete opposite.

If anything we've seen a rabid blood thirsty mob beating and hacking soldiers to minced meat. Sure they didn't need to fire a single bullet...

I'm not exactly sure how you can take the middle ground on Erdogan given what we've witnessed over the last couple of days.

The middle ground is purely the diplomatic approach and there's no need for diplomacy here.
last couple of days of arrests

some people were jumping on conspiracy theories and beheading lies not to long ago

we can't really know what is going on if we just see some crazy theory debates back and forth with some of these posts rather then trying to verify anything

I mean I am trying to find out what is going on but we got pages of pages of Erdogan wanking and anti Erdogan wanking
Just posting to say, you literally just described every thread on NeoGAF.

pretty much :p

Take a look at the photo above your post and ask yourself who has jumped the shark?

A political cartoon?

there are a ton of Saudi news cartoonist

am I suppose to debate about cartoons now

If anything we've seen a rabid blood thirsty mob beating and hacking soldiers to minced meat. Sure they didn't need to fire a single bullet...

"Rabid blood thirsty mob", "hacking soldiers to minced meat". Did not you see all the unarmed civilian bodies that were killed by army helicopters and tanks, did you not see the videos of all the civilians being shot at on the bridge. It seems that we are seeing two different realities, and then I am accused of being delusional.

jm89

When you have soldiers running people over with tanks and mowing them down from military aircraft this type of response is expected.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I am not sure about weird tendencies though, what makes my tenfencies so weird in your opinion. The AKP and Erdoğan are popular in Turkey. Do you think the majority of Turkish people are brainwashed fools with no sense of reality. Having an opposing arguments that tries to make sense of Turkish politics makes you look weird now?

From what you read on GAF it seems that Turkey is a really fucked up place with a lot of people presenting their reasoning as to why it's fucked up and it should be saved before things gets out of hand and turns into a fascist state. The truth is simply not the case, go visit turkey and interact with all people from different shades of society, you will not get the feeling that turkey is on the brink of collapse.

What's immature is you writing off what happens to everyone who disagrees with glorious leader.

And the fact is you HAD to fire bullets during the coup. Police had to shoot in the air to try and stop the angry bloodthirsty mobs from beating the soldiers to death, many of whom looked better off getting a bullet considering their heads was so badly beating you couldn't even see their facial features.

We even get to see how the people supporting this guy act towards minority's in and outside Turkey.
The coup was 2000 soldiers who had no idea what they did, and most of those put their guns down instead of opening fire and got killed and a result due to the angry mob.
Then you got the removal of the judicial system, the military and cleansing of everything else that holds power.

It really is fucked up.

What's immature is you writing off what happens to everyone who disagrees with glorious leader.

And the fact is you HAD to fire bullets during the coup. Police had to shoot in the air to try and stop the angry bloodthirsty mobs from beating the soldiers to death, many of whom looked better off getting a bullet considering their heads was so badly beating you couldn't even see their facial features.

We even get to see how the people supporting this guy act towards minority's in and outside Turkey.
The coup was 2000 soldiers who had no idea what they did, and most of those put their guns down instead of opening fire and got killed and a result due to the angry mob.
Then you got the removal of the judicial system, the military and cleansing of everything else that holds power.

It really is fucked up.
it is not like the soldiers cared about minorities either

most of these guys are from the force that shell the kurds

Shall I post all the pictures and videos here at once for you? It'll take me some time to collect...but it won't open your eyes anyway...

Yes do post pictures of all the bodies that were killed by assulat helicopters, tanks, and assulat rifles. Please go ahead...

Shiggy

Go to China or Russia and talk to the people on the street. Those countries aren't close to a collapse either. Yet there's no opposition or rule of law when it comes to political opposition.

And Erdogan is hurting Turkey's economy. The effects on tourism are devastating already. And internationally, both politicians and people are laughing about Erdogan (just citing the UK's foreign minister, "goat fucker").

Tecnniqe

Banned
it is not like the soldiers cared about minorities either

most of these guys are from the force that shell the kurds
While some of them might not be saints it's stupid to act like everyone was the great evil and deserved what happen and is happening to them.

If you act like that's ok you are no better than them.

While some of them might not be saints it's stupid to act like everyone was the great evil and deserved what happen and is happening to them.

If you act like that's ok you are no better than them.

sure and if you run around acting all Erdogan supporters are the devil (usually with things that got debunked) then the same goes both ways

Tyaren

Yes do post pictures of all the bodies that were killed by assulat helicopters, tanks, and assulat rifles. Please go ahead...

Are there actuallyany? So far this thread and others I know are full of confirmed videos and pictures of the mob beating and torturing the soldiers, but I have not seen one single video or image of a soldier doing the same to civilians. What I have seen was videos of soldiers firing warning shots over the heads of pro Erdogan protesters who then got back up immediately closing in further on the soldiers and attacking them first. Not the other way around.

Shiggy

sure and if you run around acting all Erdogan supporters are the devil then the same goes both ways

A major problem is that for us non-Turks, we see the people in our countries who protest for Erdogan here and assume the ones in Turkey are about the same. While they aren't the devil, it's hard to describe them as particularly smart. Most of them didn't get very far in terms of education.

Go to China or Russia and talk to the people on the street. Those countries aren't close to a collapse either. Yet there's no opposition or rule of law when it comes to political opposition.

And Erdogan is hurting Turkey's economy. The effects on tourism are devastating already. And internationally, both politicians and people are laughing about Erdogan (just citing the UK's foreign minister, "goat fucker").

The political scene in Turkey is now where close to the ones in China and Russia. And who cares if politicians laugh at Erdogan. People laugh at other politicians all the time. I really do miss Bush, but it seems Trump will be even better who cares.

Shiggy

The political scene in Turkey is now where close to the ones in China and Russia. And who cares if politicians laugh at Erdogan. People laugh at other politicians all the time. I really do miss Bush, but it seems Trump will be even better who cares.

What is done to political opposition seems pretty similar...

A major problem is that for us non-Turks, we see the people in our countries who protest for Erdogan here and assume the ones in Turkey are about the same. While they aren't the devil, it's hard to describe them as particularly smart. Most of them didn't get very far in terms of education.
again that is broad generalization

insulting a base with claims of lack of intellect

news flash people who are even smart do poor decisions

and things are not black and white in this world

your path will likely lead to dehumanizing people

like some minorities who cheer Assad since their groups are fine

reckless

Why does Erdogan want Gulen so bad anyway?

The second he gets him he loses his boogeyman he can blame everything on.

Either gets to show how strong he is by getting the U.S to extradite him, or gets to blame the U.S if he isn't.

Everyone that can oppose Erdogan is already gone so it doesn't matter, he can come up with a new boogeyman whenever he wants.

Are there actuallyany? So far this thread and others I know are full of confirmed videos and pictures of the mob beating and torturing the soldiers, but I have not seen one single video or image of a soldier doing the same to civilians. What I have seen was videos of soldiers firing warning shots over the heads of pro Erdogan protesters who then got back up immediately closing in further on the soldiers and attacking them first. Not the other way around.

Yes there a lot of casualties dude. Alot of people have been killed. Some funerals were held yesterday and more will be held in the coming days.

jm89

Google is your friend it is not that hard to find. Perhaps you should not restrict your self to threads/websites that follow the type of narrative you like?

Regginator

I feel like Erdogan is losing it.

This a guy is a fucking megalomaniac. Pure lunacy.

If this is real, holy shit, the comparisons to people like Stalin and Hitler wouldn't be as hyberbolic as people said.

I doubt the order comes from Erdogan directly, are you guys fucking serious?? "Hey, subordinates. Let's punish the coup attempters. Instead of jailing them or doing whatever, we'll have them stare at my picture. Awesome, right??"

At the moment it seems they're at the mercy of the Turkish police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom