• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Those mobs are from an organisation called "Osmanli Ocaklari", they are basically the AKP goonsquad. They have members in the thousands, are religious, violent and most importantly loyal to Erdogan. The AKP use them pretty much as a tool to beat up opponent groups. You will see them popping up at protests and other events that makes the AKP/ Erdoğan iffy.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Here is apparently a video of an old "Ottoman" soldier at an anti-coup celebration.

https://twitter.com/doammuslims/status/754426735576227840

The Ottoman Empire ended in 1922. If this man was atleast born in 1922, he'd be 94 years old.
I don't know how old he is but judging from their "claim" that he was a soldier he must've joined the ranks either from when he was born to atleast when he was 6 years old. I find this either crazy or ridiculous. Perhaps he was in the "Turkish" army but no way in the Ottoman army. He must've also probably not liked the secular Ataturk government.

As an Ottoman historian I find this interesting. Ataturk would be very angry if he saw this going on today and the sheer amounts of religious chanting.

People are cheering in the streets waving Republic of Turkey flags, while the very foundation of the Republic that flag represents is destroyed.

Theonik

Those mobs are from an organisation called "Osmanli Ocaklari", they are basically the AKP goonsquad. They have members in the thousands, are religious, violent and most importantly loyal to Erdogan. The AKP use them pretty much as a tool to beat up opponent groups. You will see them popping up at protests and other events that makes the AKP/ Erdoğan iffy.
Sounds like the SA.

fanboi

Banned
How would that work? They'd register on a major event but it would still take over 3 months before being validated, which most likely means the impact of the major event has worn down significantly. Unless you mean GAF moderators validate new juniors on big events on purpose, but I don't know why you'd imply that.

I meant that they start posting in specific threads, not mod activated (well maybe that sneaky Kabouter...
:p
)

Well if they don't want to integrate into the society and be a productive member of the society like everyone else why are they allowed to be there in the first place?
Because they hold a German passport. Bit difficult to take that away for the ideas they hold. And a lot are probably born in Germany or other EU countries anyway. That's the whole problem, multiple generations growing up without actually feeling part of the nation they are living in. Now that in itself doesn't have to be a problem, but it is when they do feel part of another group with ideas in conflict with the ones of the nation they are living in.

Theonik

I meant that they start posting in specific threads, not mod activated (well maybe that sneaky Kabouter...
:p
)
Activations do happen in batches and many juniors get activated around E3 for instance.
Unlikely for this though. You do get people who lurk after activation before posting regularly though and these threads are honeypots due to how polar opinion is.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I understand that, but as long as Erdogan himself hasn't said stuff like "I want you to torture or kill these coup soldiers", we should judge the violent police officers or civilians themselves and not their leaders (as well as the other way around, the violent soldiers who attacked police and civilians). After all, aren't they grown adult that can make their own decisions?
You, sir, have no idea how dictatorships work. With all due respect, read a freaking history book.

People who don't know their history are bound to repeat the darkest moments of it.

Turkish Justice Minister Expects Extradition
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...y-military-coup-the-latest.html?smid=tw-share

The Justice Minister also responded to Kerry's call for evidence

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said there wasn't a single person in Turkey who doubted Fetullah Gulen was behind the attack

He said, "does one need evidence to prove the existence of the Sun? This is just as clear a matter." He added that Turkey would be submitting the necessary documentation, but hoped the U.S. would extradite without waiting for the paperwork.

oti

Banned
I understand that, but as long as Erdogan himself hasn't said stuff like "I want you to torture or kill these coup soldiers", we should judge the violent police officers or civilians themselves and not their leaders (as well as the other way around, the violent soldiers who attacked police and civilians). After all, aren't they grown adult that can make their own decisions?

what am I reading

norinrad

Turkish Justice Minister Expects Extradition
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...y-military-coup-the-latest.html?smid=tw-share

The Justice Minister also responded to Kerry's call for evidence

This right here is why Turkey will probably never be allowed to join the EU for the next 75 years. The funny part is most young people right now will remember this and some will be in a position of power to block Turkey's entrance into the EU. This all depends on whether the EU will still be around 75 years from now.

How can a Justice Minister say something like that with a straight face?

The proof will show up when prosecution process starts? If no evidence is provided, then of course they should not be prosecuted.

Do you honestly believe that court is going to give these people a 100% fair trial? Do you really think those judges aren't going to be handpicked mouthpieces that the leader requested?

You know damn well that no actual proof is required other than what the leader has said. All the people that are taken in will hang no matter who they did or did not support, all because the leader said they were guilty of something.

Syncytia

At this point is anyone in Turkey allowed to suggest the coup was caused by anyone other than Gulen?

On Fareed this morning a lawyer for the Turkish government said something about there being irrefutable computer evidence it was Gulen. It sounded much more like the evidence was that it was Gulenists, rather than Gulen himself. Not that Erdogan cares, I'm sure.

Madness

This right here is why Turkey will probably never be allowed to join the EU for the next 75 years. The funny part is most young people right now will remember is and some will be in a position of power to block Turkey's entrance into the EU. This all depends on whether the EU will still be around 75 years from now.

Aftet the Brexit, no point in Turkey even joining EU. It will not last long. Just look at how the EU wants to punish Spain and Portugal with sanctions for not meeting deficit levels or the rising anti EU sentiment in Italy, Netherlanda etc. It grew too quick, too fast and incorporated too many wildly different countries to ever last. Especially without the UK. Plus, with far right and anti Islam governments getting 30% of the popular vote or being elected all over, they'd never allow a Muslim majority country like Turkey to join.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This right here is why Turkey will probably never be allowed to join the EU for the next 75 years. The funny part is most young people right now will remember is and some will be in a position of power to block Turkey's entrance into the EU. This all depends on whether the EU will still be around 75 years from now.

Easily. You learn to be likeable to the party leader, since you value your head more than how you look to the outside world.

This is a textbook dictatorship, fellas. Literally.

Sure I understand his immaturity.
I am not sure about weird tendencies though, what makes my tenfencies so weird in your opinion. The AKP and Erdoğan are popular in Turkey. Do you think the majority of Turkish people are brainwashed fools with no sense of reality. Having an opposing arguments that tries to make sense of Turkish politics makes you look weird now?

From what you read on GAF it seems that Turkey is a really fucked up place with a lot of people presenting their reasoning as to why it's fucked up and it should be saved before things gets out of hand and turns into a fascist state. The truth is simply not the case, go visit turkey and interact with all people from different shades of society, you will not get the feeling that turkey is on the brink of collapse.

The coup showed how resilient and witty the turkish people are, and how they ended the coup in few hours without firing a single bullet, Despite having military forces killing some civilians. If it was a really fucked up place, then the outcome would have been the complete opposite.

There's nothing to commend the Turkish people for here. This "despite everything, the Turkish nation is amazing!" ego masturbation is one of the reasons Erdoğan has a huge following. And, by the way, yes I can say that the Erdoğan followers are brainwashed. His Pan-islamist, ultranationalist rhetoric drives the masses. Anecdotally, I can say that the poorer people (with worse education) have far greater support for Erdoğan in Turkey (might not be reflective for everybody). North Korea's dictatorship has a ton of followers, but that does not redeem it or debunk the existence of propaganda and manipulation. Pick any Erdoğan speech and it's likely to have Islamic phrases in it- bolstering religious bigotry.

Also, about the visiting Turkey offer, sorry to break it to you but no one really wants to do that when they risk getting bombed at a landmark. Or get beaten up for drinking in the holy Islamic month of Ramadan (google Velvet Indieground). Or support the economy of a country governed by the likes of Erdoğan. In a country where the government calls upon people via the mosques, live broadcast of Facetime and countrywide SMS messages to fill the streets (and succeed), there is instability. Places I visit WEEKLY were bombed, Turkey is no peaceful, just, livable paradise. Resisting a coup does not excuse that many Turkish people still support Erdoğan (which in itself is fucked up). Putting the jobs of a third of the judicial system on hold so quickly does nothing to redeem Erdoğan's approach, nor does it assure anyone that he isn't trying to usurp power.

And confession beaten out of soldiers are not evidence.

5koAv3H.jpg

update as needed.

norinrad

I really wanted to laugh at this, but then i realized holyshit this is about people who are going to be killed without a fair trial.

"does one need evidence to prove the existence of the Sun? This is just as clear a matter."

Btw when the time comes for the authorities to pick up Catatafish, I propose we set up a crowd funding gig to pay the lawyer who is going to defend him, even though we all know he will hang.

norinrad

Really, really, poor taste joke there.

Ever heard of the saying, they came for my neighbors and i did nothing, then they came for my friends i did nothing, until they finally came for me and there was no one to stand up for me. He's been an apologist defending the regime all throughout this thread.

If what i said is going to get me banned, Thats fine, people here say more worst stuff

Steel

Banned
Ever heard of the saying, they came for my neighbors and i did nothing, then they came for my friends i did nothing, until they finally came for me and there was no one to stand up for me. He's been an apologist defending the regime all throughout this thread.

Yes, I'm not defending him at all(and I agree he's been an apologist), that doesn't make your joke in any less poor taste.

YoungFa

Two judges of the Constitutional Court removed because they voted for the release of two journalists that reported about weapons sold to Syrian Rebels by Turkish Secret Services. Of course the official reason given was for being Gulenists. This has nothing to do with a military coup attempt this is just a political institutional coup now.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/co...rted.aspx?pageID=517&nID=101692&NewsCatID=341
As if the official reason would make it anymore justifiable.

remist

The shameful thing is that the US government is likely to give in to whatever Erdogan wants because we are too entangled at this point.

Condom

Two judges of the Constitutional Court removed because they voted for the release of two journalists that reported about weapons sold to Syrian Rebels by Turkish Secret Services. Of course the official reason given was for being Gulenists. This has nothing to do with a military coup attempt this is just a political institutional coup now.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/co...rted.aspx?pageID=517&nID=101692&NewsCatID=341

What is the point of a constitutional court if you can just detain judges like that, this is high level of bullshit.

The whole juridical system is now even more of a sham than it already was.

Why even bother with separation of powers. Who needs evidence for a trial when 1 person has power over judge, jury and executioner.
This is one of the pillars of democracy. Checks to keep each other under control, any attempt to consolidate any of them together should leave a populace in fear for their life and those dear to them not cheering them on.

Given that "brainwashed" is the nicest one could call AKP supporters right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom