• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It would be great if you guys reported obviously offensive posts to one of us instead of spending pages speculating about why we don't ban for them.

We don't see everything, we need and appreciate your help to keep discussion as clean as possible.
I sent PM and nothing happened so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

orochi91

I've heard that a few dozen helicopters went missing and that a second coup could be in the works.

Any truth to it?

I'd be impressed if they can pull one off so soon after the previous attempt.

Erdogan's forces would be well prepared this time; perhaps the dismissal of the judges and round-up of a couple thousand soldiers was too big of a pill for the military to swallow.

Erdogan's forces would be well prepared this time; perhaps the dismissal of the judges and round-up of a couple thousand soldiers was too big of a pill for the army to swallow.

All that preparation is useless if enough support another coup. What's he going to do, rally round his fanatics again to stop an even bigger force of rebels? I'm surprised the putschists didn't bring tear gas the first time.

orochi91

All that preparation is useless if enough support another coup. What's he going to do, rally round his fanatics again to stop an even bigger force of rebels? I'm surprised the putschists didn't bring tear gas the first time.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's no doubt in my mind that he would try to pull that stunt again.

If there is a countercoup the political vacuum will get worse and then we will see a full fragmentation. However the political parties would mostly still stay in the Erdogan camp but the military would definitely make sure the next one is well planned before executing.

Theonik

Erdogan's forces would be well prepared this time; perhaps the dismissal of the judges and round-up of a couple thousand soldiers was too big of a pill for the military to swallow.
Plot-twist: Erdogan staged this coup in an attempt to consolidate power, in doing so, a larger rebel force in the military sees an opportunity for a real coup. The recent purge leaves large portions of the country too disorganised to respond.

Well if the speculation is true that the first one was just a ruse in order for him to gain even more power, then a second one would be "real" and could change everything.

Or those copter could be gone for other reason. Maybe the were gifts, or used to run away. Or maybe the report was false.

Regardless I do think a second attempt is likely.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Plot-twist: Erdogan staged this coup in an attempt to consolidate power, in doing so, a larger rebel force in the military sees an opportunity for a real coup. The recent purge leaves large portions of the country too disorganised to respond.
It's so crazy... it just might work

PtM

Banned
I interpret this more as psychological kinda game in the sense like "we're old allies, we're incredibly insulted you think we'd ask you such a big thing without a shred of evidence from our side, that's like proofing the sun exists". After all, you can hardly expect them to show the evidence or other state secrets right there in the open in that NYT article, can you? I still don't think they'll go to the US asking for this with their dicks in their hand. Out of the question, the US would rightfully decline. Which is why I think they have something.
Yeah, megalomania.

Mr.Sumal

Turkish government to relax gun laws and make it easier for citizens to conceal carry guns according to a Turkish source.

http://www.habermetraj.com/haber/29...in-ruhsatli-silah-almasinin-onu-acilacak.html

Bad google translate, but what I can gather is that the Presidential advisor wants Turks to have easier access to licensed firearms for self defence.

If this is true then they really will have a civil war. Hell I'm surprised there haven't been any ISIS attacks with what's been going on so far but the influx of weapons will just make Turkey spiral further into chaos.

Crazy to think when I was there in February I had an amazing time. Now look what it's become. If anything this coup has truly destroyed any image of Turkey really being a place to visit, I think it was in the top 10 destinations a few years ago.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Turkish government to relax gun laws and make it easier for citizens to conceal carry guns according to a Turkish source.

http://www.habermetraj.com/haber/29...in-ruhsatli-silah-almasinin-onu-acilacak.html

Bad google translate, but what I can gather is that the Presidential advisor wants Turks to have easier access to licensed firearms for self defence.

He is taking point by point from Hitler little handbook on how to take over a country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_legislation_in_Germany#Gun_regulation_of_the_Third_Reich

Beefy

@WashingtonPoint

Pres Erdogan today told crowd at a funeral today they have to remain in the streets "whole week. It's not a 12-hour operation."
therefore

@WashingtonPoint

Pres Erdogan today told crowd at a funeral today they have to remain in the streets "whole week. It's not a 12-hour operation."
therefore

This is going to destroy the Turkish economy, imagine a week of people not doing anything but protesting and chaos in the streets, looting, lawlessness, and I don't even think they've opened the Bosporus up yet for freight traffic.

Nordicus

@WashingtonPoint

therefore
This is going to destroy the Turkish economy, imagine a week of people not doing anything but protesting and chaos in the streets, looting, lawlessness, and I don't even think they've opened the Bosporus up yet for freight traffic.
Before the week is over he'll be demanding everyone to wear Erdogan masks.

brian577

Banned
well wasn't there that Frigate that got stolen

there was a Helicopter that ran away to Greece but Greece is sending them back
Wrong. They sent the chopper back today, the crew stays in Greece as of now and is getting a trial there for violating Greek airspace amongst other charges. At least that's the status quo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
German government Gülenist confirmed.

Also those 7899 police officers are the ones who didn't beat the soldiers I guess.

Klyka

Banned
Woah,now getting rid of police as well?

I thought they did their jobs and were proper on the government's side?

Jesus what a damn purge this is.

Arresting cops and soldiers is pretty expensive. Then you factor that tourism is going to take another hit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To purge 6000 judges and 8000 police officers, that would be a severe blow to any country's judicial system. It's practically impossible to find that many qualified people in this short amount of time to replace them.

To purge 6000 judges and 8000 police officers, that would be a severe blow to any country's judicial system. It's practically impossible to find that many qualified people in this short amount of time to replace them.
Not a problem. Just find people to arrest and throw in jail anyone Erdogan points at. No qualifications needed.

Klyka

Banned

Don't worry, he'll just call in via Skype and tell his supporters to "clean up their own neighborhoods" and "preside over the ones who wrong you!"

Some good old government sanctioned vigilantism!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom