• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Like Hitler.

Correct me if i am wrong but... the nazi party never got 51% or more of the vote if i am not mistaken. More like 30% and then they bullied themselves to power.

On topic : erdogan is a vile character, so i hope this turns for the best. I fear it might get ugly though, with how popular erdogan is...

Tugatrix

Can someone explain the history of why Turkey has such a mutiny clause in its Constitution?

islamism vs secularism it's a pretty complex topic, but summing up the army in turkey was always the drive for secularism and modernization, but many times through history many religious prone leaders rose to power and the army step in to avoid losing the secularism, until they had to constitutionally legitimize this actions with out overthrow the all political rule

Something that also needs to be repeated is that the Turkish military have the legal right to perform a coup, as per a clause in their constitution. The military have the legal right to perform such a coup if the secularity of the country is threatened by the civil government.

It's an incredibly strange clause, but it's in there. Most democracies have some anti-democratic clauses in their constitutions or common law (Queen has the power to dissolve British Parliament, for example), but this is an unusual one.

wiibomb

WRONG. I will post again.

You are too naive to understand how "democracy" actually works in other countries. "elected" dictators dissolve branches of government, buy elections, persecute the press, imprison critics, bribe judges and the military, etc.

The best you can hope for is individuals in the military not succumbing to bribes and power and siding with the people.

Nicaragua and Venezuela are good examples of this.. a kind of a fake democracy, just to not look bad to the world.

I'm worried for Turkey now, what are the political reasons for this?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The military leader supposedly being held hostage -- which faction is he?

Erdoganist. What's looking bad is that we've not heard from any key Kemalists, making this like like a Gulenist coup. :(

oti

Banned
I hope his fanatic supporters in Germany stay put. I'm sure some of them will blame Merkel for this.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Correct me if i am wrong but... the nazi party never got 51% or more of the vote if i am not mistaken. More like 30% and then they bullied themselves to power.

On topic : erdogan is a vile character, so i hope this turns for the best. I fear it might get ugly though, with how popular erdogan is...
He was in a coalition with another party.

Zaph

BBC News saying the coup was in response to Erdogan's increasing autocracy, control of the media, and treatment of journalists.

Obviously those initiating the coup will always paint themselves as the good guys, but could this be a good thing? Erdogan was democratically elected, but we've all seen what can happen when people vote based on a malevolently driven media...

Corto

"Military assure they want to reinstate the rule of law, the freedom and security of people with this coup."

SIC Notícias Portuguese News Channel, live reporter in Ankara through Skype

kharma45

You are correct, 43.9 was their best. It was the enabling act that gave him real power, and that was passed by parliament.

KDR_11k

Rendered unusable (destroying the PAL) I'd imagine.

Don't worry, nukes can only go supercritical under very very specific circumstances (which are created only when the nuke is armed), when a nuke is destroyed by force the nuclear reaction isn't triggered and it acts as a dirty bomb.

He was the leader elected by the people. does their will mean shit?

Elected officials are still bound by the constitution.

aeolist

Banned
You guys don't understand this will kick back turkey 50 years.

All the advancement were for nothing. The common people are fucked here. But what do you all care tho? Your not living there.

not saying a coup is necessarily a good thing but erdogan was already doing a fine job dragging turkey backwards, unless you think a religious despot is a good thing

Real Hero

gO46X.jpg

so what you are against democracy?

Yamauchi

Banned
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been taken to a secret location by forces loyal to him and extensive security measures are being taken to protect him, the Cumhuriyet newspaper reports.

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id4865
Elements of the Turkish military have no doubt been plotting against Erdogan since the early days of his leadership. For whatever reason, they gained enough support now to feel they could pull this off. Probably a combination of the confrontation with Russia, the re-ignited war with the PKK, the spillover of the Syrian conflict, and the rapid growth of ISIS in Turkey, plus a variety of domestic factors I am not familiar with.

For me, Erdogan has always been a Hitleresque figure: thriving off chaos, pitting his deputies against one another as he accumulates more power, killing hundreds and destroying entire city centers (Cizre and Sirnak) to garner electoral support, and fueling chaos in Syria for imperial ambitions.

His luck finally ran out. If he does decide to start a full-fledged civil war, I don't think Turkey will emerge from it the same as it entered. There are too many pressure points now.

I'm praying for peace.

Steel

Banned

It was a three way race, so they couldn't have gotten 51%.

Harmen

As someone who isn't Turkish nor has an extensive knowledge about Turkey (so I admit this is a hunch based on the media, rather than an objective view), I don't have a good feeling about Erdogan at all. In addition to that, my Turkish friends/colleages were also quite worried about the current government of their homecountry. So it could be that this really is for the better, but a military coup sure sounds like a drastic/bad thing. I really hope this will turn out well for the Turkish citizens.

Markoman

I hate to the one to say it but so was Hitler... Although I'm not sure yet if this coup is a good thing. Hopefully Russian isn't involved in any way...

EDIT: I was late. Saw your "majority" comment. Even if you are right not all democratic decisions require majority.

No, stop with that nonsense. The NSDAP never won the majority in elections. Their votes were going down when chancellor Schleicher and a guy called von Papen thought it was the best idea in the world to approach President Hindenburg to make Hitler chancellor of Germany. They thought Hitler and his supportes may work like a bandwagon for the deeply divided Weimar republic. Boy, were they wrong

Elements of the Turkish military have no doubt been plotting against Erdogan since the early days of his leadership. For whatever reason, they gained enough support now to feel they could pull this off. Probably a combination of the confrontation with Russia, the re-ignited war with the PKK, the spillover of the Syrian conflict, and the rapid growth of ISIS in Turkey, plus a variety of domestic factors I am not familiar with.

For me, Erdogan has always been a Hitleresque figure: thriving off chaos, pitting his deputies against one another as he accumulates more power, killing hundreds and destroying entire city centers (Cizre and Sirnak) to garner electoral support, and fueling chaos in Syria for imperial ambitions.

His luck finally ran out. If he does decide to start a full-fledged civil war, I don't think Turkey will emerge from it the same as it entered. There are too many pressure points now.

I'm praying for peace.

I'm so confused by your opinions. How can you be OK with Putin?!

Melon Husk

Ismail Kahraman's comments in April probably triggered the move, do you think? First "official" comment about removing the secularism from the Turkish constitution.

I hope the coup will be quick and clean, and that the constitution won't be mutilated again inadvertedly afterwards.

No, stop with that nonsense. The NSDAP never won the majority in elections. Their votes were going down when chancellor Schleicher and a guy called von Papen thought it was the best idea in the world to approach President Hindenburg to make Hitler chancellor of Germany. They thought Hitler and his supportes may work like a bandwagon for the deeply divided Weimar republic. Boy, were they wrong

Someone who payed attention in history class.

pswii60

So far, the military seems to try to not involve (or firing) civils. I hope it continue...
Indeed it seems incredibly well choreographed. Insane.

How can something so major and requiring such great precision organisation get planned without anyone in government smelling a rat?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

You do not need a majority to become a democratically elected ruler. It all depends on the specific flavor of democracy and its rules. Technically(!), the NSDAP's rise to power was largely consistent with the democratic process, even up to the removal of the democratic system itself. Because of that, Germany's current constitution contains safety guards to prevent such things that the Weimar Republic did not have.

"Democratically elected" can have very different meanings in different contexts.

Mully

You guys don't understand this will kick back turkey 50 years.

All the advancement were for nothing. The common people are fucked here. But what do you all care tho? Your not living there.

There have been four major coups in Turkey's history. The last one occurred in 1997. This will not set them back much should things go relatively smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom