• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, if anything came from this it's people outside of Turkey realizing exactly how democratic Recep Tayyip "Democracy and Freedom have no value in Turkey" Erdogan. (Yes he actually said that)
The people in power outside of Turkey (at least in the EU) have been well aware all along, I think. What is new now is that those same people cannot play coy anymore to questions like 'Why the heck are we sponsoring a fuckin dictatorship?'

Tyaren

Wikileaks megaleak upcoming!

VLhRlsH.jpg

https://twitter.com/wikileaks

ExVicis

Possibly. They definitely did something to it. But it's okay, Erdogan and his loyal followers are just carrying out the democratic will of their people.
Remember, if you're an elected official it's totally okay to do whatever you want to anyone that opposes you! That's what this thread taught me early on! Winning an election is a blank check to do whatever you want!

John Kerry was pretty explicit in his statement. Legitimate evidence that withstands scrutiny. Less than that would be a waste of time. And being Gulen on US their own Secret Services must have him monitored at all times. They would know if Gulen was involved or not in the organization of this coup.
Gulen may be fortunate there's an election in November and Big Orange is lurking in the background ready to pounce (when he eventually wraps his head around what's happening in Turkey). However, the decision to extradite Gulen will be made according to the Obama administration's (and Hillary's) political interests not what internal intelligence they possess on Gulen.

Holy fuck, watching a lengthy interview of a AKP representative in German state TV (ZDF) I feel like I finally understand how people must have felt about what happened in Germany in 1933.

It's all about "Turks finally being able to hold their heads up high", "Germans shouldn't trust their media and come to Turkey to see the truth" and when asked whether or not the arrest of 3000 judges might be a sign of the death of democracy, he instead talks about "all the Erdogan bashing leads to nothing etc. etc.".

Beefy

@Reuters
BREAKING: Turkish foreign minister says criticism of legal steps against coup instigators 'unacceptable,' amounts to backing coup attempt

blu

Holy fuck, watching a lengthy interview of a AKP representative in German state TV (ZDF) I feel like I finally understand how people must have felt about what happened in Germany in 1933.

It's all about "Turks finally being able to hold their heads up high", "Germans shouldn't trust their media and come to Turkey to see the truth" and when asked whether or not the arrest of 3000 judges might be a sign of the death of democracy, he instead talks about "all the Erdogan bashing leads to nothing etc. etc.".
You've seen nothing yet. The fun times are just ahead.

BigAl1992

There you are:

Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 35s36 seconds ago
TURKEY: Erdogan - If the Parliament adopts a bill to reinstate the death penalty, I will sign it into law.

oti

Banned
@Reuters
BREAKING: Turkish foreign minister says criticism of legal steps against coup instigators 'unacceptable,' amounts to backing coup attempt

There you are:

TURKEY: Erdogan - If the Parliament adopts a bill to reinstate the death penalty, I will sign it into law.

I really hope TurkGAF has an exit plan.

Nere

There you are:

Yeah if they adopt it, like they don't vote whatever Erdogan commands them to vote.

Baybars

Banned
In other news:

Also, same source:

Expect them to find evidence linking Obama to being a Gulen supporter.

The commander of the turkish contingent at Incirlik was a huge coup supporter. He authorised tankers to refuel rebel jets. When the net closed in, he tried to claim asylum with the amercans, The amercans said no.

The thing is looking at turkish media, there is alot of anti american sentiment not seen in ages. They point to how kerry backed sissi who murdered 2000 egyptians in 2 days versus making threats to turkey over nato. John kerry is a hated man now in turkey

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There you are:

Do that and there is zero chance you will be allowed to join the European union.

spekkeh

Banned
The commander of the turkish contingent at Incirlik was a huge coup supporter. He authorised tankers to refuel rebel jets. When the net closed in, he tried to claim asylum with the amercans, The amercans said no.

The thing is looking at turkish media, there is alot of anti american sentiment not seen in ages. They point to how kerry backed sissi who murdered 2000 egyptians in 2 days versus making threats to turkey over nato. John kerry is a hated man now in turkey
Fancy that, Turks already comparing themselves with an Arab dictatorship. Well I guess they know where they're heading.

it is kinda fascinating that he is legit willing to pass legislation ex post facto in peius to deal with his opponents. Especially since, if wikipedia is correct...
Ex post facto punishment is prohibited by Article 38 of the Constitution of Turkey. It states:

c1. No one shall be punished for any act which does not constitute a criminal offence under the law in force at the time committed; no one shall be given a heavier penalty for an offence other than the penalty applicable at the time when the offence was committed.
c2. The provisions of the above paragraph shall also apply to the statute of limitations on offences and penalties and on the results of conviction.

Thus, the article does not prohibit in mitius laws, i.e. cases wherein the retroactive application benefits the accused person.

Theonik

Do that and there is zero chance you will be allowed to join the European union.
That implies they even want to join at this point. Last month or so signals they've changed their mind. Notice how Erdogan's made 'peace' with Russia and Israel after the friction with Germany and now this. He's digging in.

People are giving Greece a hard time for their borders but they seem to miss the point. The land borders in Thrace are well guarded with minefields and a wall nobody goes past it. But the sea borders are impossible to control. There are so many islands and if you check the map some are less than 10 miles away from Turkey. Let's assume a boat full of refugees comes from Turkey, Greek authorities see it and go to it, when the refugees see Greek boats coming close they sink their own boat so they can be rescued. I would like a serious solution to this. What would you have the Greeks do? Not save them? Next day there would be pictures all over the news of how Greeks are murdering children in the Aegean. I would really like if people understood that without Turkey's help of holding people before they get on a boat and travel to a Greek island the guarding of the borders is near impossible. These aren't the normal borders Germany and France has they are different much different.
Oh I know.

Corto

I don't think that's even a worry of the Turkish Government at the moment. They don't care. They can flood Greece with refugees or use that possibility as leverage to EU to keep sending money. VISA liberalisation for Turkish citizens though is certainly a mirage at this point.

After Brexit, I dont think membership to EU carries as much leverage as it did 10 years ago.

Real question is does US honor Gulen's extradition request? Erdogan is saying Turkey has terrorists (presumably ISIS) that US wants extradited and he would reconsider doing that if his request is denied.

And if Gulen IS extradited, what happens to him? Noose? Weren't Erdogan and Gulen BFF's at one time?

Why does everyone act like the EU talks still hold any value for either party?
The negotiation stalled like a decade ago since most of the big core EU countries don't want Turkey in the first place (it was mostly the US and the UK that liked the idea) and at the same time Turkey isn't willing to fullfill even the most basic of EU demands.
It was never going to happen and it will never happen.

Erdogan is saying Turkey has terrorists (presumably ISIS) that US wants extradited and he would reconsider doing that if his request is denied

At which point the US would be correct in arguing that Erdogan is sheltering ISIS members, and would probably be willing to provide evidence that the dudes they want are legit.

Not really a well thought-out argument from his side.

Real question is does US honor Gulen's extradition request? Erdogan is saying Turkey has terrorists (presumably ISIS) that US wants extradited and he would reconsider doing that if his request is denied.

And if Gulen IS extradited, what happens to him? Noose? Weren't Erdogan and Gulen BFF's at one time?

While I do see that this is an issue countries like Turkey, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia have had to comply with US extradition requests on terror suspects regardless of evidence for the past 15 years in the War on Terror.

There are two perspectives here and this reasoning DOES NOT justify Erdogan but he will try to get away with it.

I hope the US looks at this "evidence" and analyze it wisely.

Gulen would most certainly be given the death penalty regardless of evidence if he is extradited. They split their friendship over charges of corruption in the AKP and Gulenists.

blu

I don't think that's even a worry of the Turkish Government at the moment. They don't care. They can flood Greece with refugees or use that possibility as leverage to EU to keep sending money. VISA liberalisation for Turkish citizens though is certainly a mirage at this point.
That could be shortest way out of the EUCU for Turkey.

@Reuters
Bu-bu-but guys.

It's a democratic state.

Those brave citizens went out and stood against the soldiers to UPHOLD DEMOCRACY.

Ugh.
Here is part of his new interview claiming that the paperwork process has begun for extradition.
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/755098483179261952
Doesn't mean anything yet. There's routine paperwork for extradition to be done, you can't dismiss that out of hand. The US will review the evidence, and hopefully deny it when there's absolutely nothing of value submitted.

Oersted

After Brexit, I dont think membership to EU carries as much leverage as it did 10 years ago.

GB is suffering from the Brexit and they are not even out yet.

sflufan

Banned
The US will review the evidence, and hopefully deny it when there's absolutely nothing of value submitted.

Even if the State Department considers that there is "merit" to the extradition request, the request must then enter the US legal system where the judge can toss the evidence and say "request denied".

The Executive Branch cannot execute an extradition action on its own.

oti

Banned

I'm sorry what. The UK is already suffering from their stupid decision and they aren't even out yet. Also, Erdogan was furious towards Cameron since he's losing Turkey's biggest cheerleader within the EU.

Even if the State Department considers that there is "merit" to the extradition request, the request must then enter the US legal system where the judge can toss the evidence and say "request denied".

The Executive Branch cannot execute an extradition action on its own.
Obviously.

I seriously doubt anything will come of the extradition request.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Guardian has an article where Turkey officials say they expected to be killed and that the coup nearly succeeded but was blundered following the attack on parliament.

Arguably, since Brexit it holds even more leverage, considering what kind of shit show is going on in the UK right now.

Why does everyone act like the EU talks still hold any value for either party?
The negotiation stalled like a decade ago since most of the big core EU countries don't want Turkey in the first place (it was mostly the US and the UK that liked the idea) and at the same time Turkey isn't willing to fullfill even the most basic of EU demands.
It was never going to happen and it will never happen.

The EU countries didn't think Turkey/Erdogan would honor human right and rule of law when they denied Turkey. And they were absolutely right, just like General De Gaulle was right about the Brits.

Also the EU will be dissolved in a few years anyway lulz.

False flag. No other reasonable explanation.

You don't do a coup without already having the leader underwraps.

It was a prepackaged coup with the arrest lists already drafted and waiting to go. Just incite a few junior officers that there is a coup underway and then pull the rug out.

The haphazard nature of the coup underlines how it was meant to fail and give Ergodan free reign to move hardline.

False flag. No other reasonable explanation.

I can't imagine who would want to deal with a new government if they literally blew him out of the sky. I think they could've atleast captured him at the airport and put him on a quick trial and exile.

Imagine the question of legitimacy if they really did kill him, and then his supporters would be even more violent even possibly preempting civil war.

I'm not defending him per say but atleast capturing him and a trial would've been better and more legitimate but this seems a lose-lose situation.

While I don't agree 100% about this being staged, I think given Turkey's history, past threats to Erdogan's power and the context of changing the military staff over the past year, there's still possibility it was a last ditch effort that was unorganized.

Erdogan has been expecting a coup for a long time and he's been prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom