• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceofspades

Banned
It's facinating to me how much hate Turkish people get for liking Erdogan, they voted for him, They trust him as their leader, no one (outside of Turkey) have the right whatsoever to question their decision. Its their country and they seem content...why angry? Why upset? whether people of the internet like him or not is another matter completely BUT you have to respect Turkish people decision.

Let's say that USA hypothetically voted Trump despite being hated by lots of people outside the US. Those people have to respect US citizens decision and it's completely an internal issue of USA that no one from outside has the right to intervere in any way.

It's facinating to me how much hate Turkish people get for liking Erdogan, they voted for him, They trust him as their leader, no one (outside of Turkey) have the right whatsoever to question their decision. Its their country and they seem content...why angry? Why upset? whether people of the internet like him or not is another matter completely BUT you have to respect Turkish people decision.

Let's say that USA hypothetically voted Trump despite being hated by lots of people outside the US. Those people have to respect US citizens decision and it's completely an internal issue of USA that no one from outside has the right to intervere in any way.
Yes, people have that right. They have every right to question that decision and judge the Turkish people who voted for him for that.

Our governments have to respect that decision, as in, they don't go out and overthrow him or whatever. But I as an individual have every right to think less of the Turkish people who voted for this guy. And I will think less of people who vote for Trump too. I have every right to question the decision of the Russian people as well for voting for Putin, or whatever other leader there is in the world that I don't agree with.

Just because a country votes for someone does not mean others don't have the right to criticize that decision.

Too bad in Turkey you can't voice such opinions anymore without getting beaten up or worse it seems.

dakun

Who becomes the US president most definitely is not just an internal issue. What happens in the US affects the world in pretty much every way. Do you not remember how people hated the US for voting for Bush for his second term? People don't have to respect stupidity (it was in my opinion), especially if it has an impact on their lives.
To say that Turkey accepting a Dictator to rule their country is something we have to respect is pretty disgusting considering the lives that are affect by his actions.
It's quite appalling to see someone saying that we don't have the right to question something. WTF

Yayate

These are not internal issues. A bad leader can make all nearby countries, and other countries they have relations with, suffer as well.

You're damn wrong claiming that people outside of the US wouldn't be able to complain about Trump being elected. Not only would this enable similar jerks in Europe, it could very well shatter diplomic relationships.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Right............

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-very-nearly-succeeded-say-turkish-officials

False flag conspiracies are the height of stupidity. You may as well wear a neon sign that you can't be taken seriously.

no but the whole thing is fishy.

The Turkish military knows how to pull off a coup. And you do that by having all of the politicians arrested before anyone even knows there is a coup.

They only sent 25 soldiers to secure the President? Really? How they failed to secure or kill Erdogan is a complete mystery (they had him surrounded at the airport. Kill him and it's over). How they failed to shut down other television stations. How they seemed to block bridges for no real strategic reason.

I mean, when civilians are pulling you out of tanks, something has gone horribly wrong.

Of course the administration there will play up how close it was to being successful now, that's the narrative.

It's clear the response to the coup seems vastly more organized, and swift than the unexpected coup was.

But this should surprise no one. Saudi Arabia is making moves to re-control it's sphere of influence, as it no longer believes the USA has it's best interests in place or at the very least has no interest in projecting leadership into the arena there (see Syria, see the Iran deal). It's fortified Egypt with aircraft carriers, and seems intent to be much much cozier with Turkey as well with these latest moves.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

See, when you see to much authoritarianism, you forget how democracy works. Of course you have the right to question such a decision, while you also acknowledge that the decision belong to the Turkish people. That doesn't make it necessarily the best decision.

A lot of people outside of US (me included) criticised a lot about Trump and him elected will influence much ore than just US.

Theonik

Being able to have an opinion on things and express that opinion is pretty much what democracy is about.

Steel

Banned

The world would have every right to criticize America and its citizens if Trump was elected, wtf are you talking about? Sure, they wouldn't have the right to depose him, but respect the decision? Hell no.

bidguy

Banned
no but the whole thing is fishy.

The Turkish military knows how to pull off a coup. And you do that by having all of the politicians arrested before anyone even knows there is a coup.

They only sent 25 soldiers to secure the President? Really? How they failed to secure or kill Erdogan is a complete mystery (they had him surrounded at the airport. Kill him and it's over). How they failed to shut down other television stations. How they seemed to block bridges for no real strategic reason.

I mean, when civilians are pulling you out of tanks, something has gone horribly wrong.

Of course the administration there will play up how close it was to being successful now, that's the narrative.

It's clear the response to the coup seems vastly more organized, and swift than the unexpected coup was.

But this should surprise no one. Saudi Arabia is making moves to re-control it's sphere of influence, as it no longer believes the USA has it's best interests in place or at the very least has no interest in projecting leadership into the arena there (see Syria, see the Iran deal). It's fortified Egypt with aircraft carriers, and seems intent to be much much cozier with Turkey as well with these latest moves.

i dont think they had any intention of killing him... people(erdogan supporters) in other countries got mad because of the coup i cant even imagine what would happen if he had been killed by coup supporters that night

Corto

i dont think they had any intention of killing him... people(erdogan supporters) in other countries got mad because of the coup i cant even imagine what would happen if he had been killed by coup supporters that night

Then why entertaining the plan of deposing him? Having a coup plot means that the plotters must be prepared go to the final consequences of such plan. That meaning, killing the ruler if needed be. Fear of the consequences internal or external shoul prevent them from even start the coup.

I dislike Trump as much as the next fellow, but come on. Are we really going to do a comparison to Erdogan?

Give me a break. Call me back up when Trump manages to do a third of what Erdogan has done.

Azzanadra

I dislike Trump as much as the next fellow, but come on. Are we really going to do a comparison to Erdogan?

Give me a break. Call me back up when Trump manages to do a third of what Erdogan has done.

Well to be fair, Trump hasn't been in office at all so he hasn't really done anything yet.

Trump didn't have a decade to work on his ideas and plans though.
Well to be fair, Trump hasn't been in office at all so he hasn't really done anything yet.

Obviously.

And yet the political structure of the United States isn't really designed to let Trump sit around long enough to do anything remotely like Erdogan.

Like I said, call me back when Trump manages to pull of a third of what Erdogan has done.

Xenus

Obviously.

And yet the political structure of the United States isn't really designed to let Trump sit around long enough to do anything remotely like Erdogan.

Like I said, call me back when Trump manages to pull of a third of what Erdogan has done.

This is why term limits are a thing. Yes it sucks when you get an all time great president and his time runs up but I'd rather have that then a despot who gets a hold of the position then rules for years on end ruining things.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Probably going to begin the process to get the death penalty reinstated so he can start executing the coup plotters.
The EU has already said that any relationship with Turkey would be revised, so let's see if Erdogan likes his trade (and if the EU is willing to push that button).

spekkeh

Banned
Trump didn't have a decade to work on his ideas and plans though.
Trump would have been impeached if he muscled a judge to lock up a single journalist. Let alone 1500 (or proportionally some 15000). Let alone Nobel prize winners. Let alone sack generals to supplant them with Trump men. Let alone taking tight control of all the churches and making them whip up Trump supporters. Let alone work to turn American expats abroad into a network of fifth columns. Let alone sacking a third of the judiciary to plant Trump stooges, etc. etc.

Trump is fucking Jimmy Carter compared with Erdogan.

Yeah I bet the wednesday announcement is starting the process to reinstate the death penalty.

I'm so happy I went to Istanbul a couple of years ago. No IS threat yet, relations with the Kurds were ok back then. Beautiful city.

brian577

Banned
Yeah I bet the wednesday announcement is starting the process to reinstate the death penalty.

I'm so happy I went to Istanbul a couple of years ago. No IS threat yet, relations with the Kurds were ok back then. Beautiful city.

It has to go through parliament right? Is there any chance it won't pass?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It has to go through parliament right? Is there any chance it won't pass?
The one AKP-lead parliament that has no prosecution immunity, is thus fully exposed to the other two powers, who just got purged? Well, it's hard to tell..

daxy

As if they give a shit...the west was never ever going to allow Turkey into the EU.

I like this post. Homogenizing the diversity present in the EU's member states as 'the west' while criticizing its countries for not being open enough to allow Turkey into the Union. Good job mate, you just played yourself.

spekkeh

Banned
The EU has absolutely nothing to build pressure on Turkey.
The EU is Turkey's number one import and export partner while Turkey ranks 7th in the EU's top import and 5th in export markets. Turkey's main exports markets are the EU, Iraq, Russia, USA, United Arab Emirates and Iran.

I guess Erdogan hasn't soured relations with the UAE yet and they might be willing to increase trade.

magash

I like this post. Homogenizing the diversity present in the EU's member states as 'the west' while criticizing its countries for not being open enough to allow Turkey into the Union. Good job mate, you just played yourself.

What the fuck does that even mean? One of the major reason the EU will never allow Turkey into the union is because of its population.

oti

Banned
BREAKING: All political prisoners in #Turkey are now denied the right to meet lawyers, family, & make phone calls

TURKEY: List of independent news websites banned in #Turkey in the last 72 hours by the government - @HasanSari7

CntuKseWEAEye6-.jpg

Conflict News
@Conflicts

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, this went fast. I always had the feeling that it takes at least a couple of months or years to shut down democracy, but this is on fast

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, this went fast. I always had the feeling that it takes at least a couple of months or years to shut down democracy, but this is on fast

It's not unlike a patient ridden with terminal cancer. The system is damaged enough that any sudden change will result in a total collapse.

Holy heck, Erdogan is really moving fast. At this rate there won't be much left of democratic Turkey by the end of the week.

Expecting death penalty within 2 weeks. Pretty sure it'll fast tracked by the Turkish parliament Russia-style.

Not like there was much left to be shut down
Well, reading through all the changes/arrest/purges it seems there was still plenty left an they're getting rid of it by the minute. Good for the coupists that fled to Greece I guess, with the situation for political prisoners detoriating this fast it'll be pretty hard to argue to send them back to Turkey. Really bad for the hundreds of soldiers that surrendered though, looking at how they get treated now, I guess it's only a matter of time before they all end up in front of a firing squad.

Theonik

It looked like quite the possibility for a brief period of time.

You know, right before Erdogan went mad with power.
Tbh, as much as Cameron tried to campaign for them, they'd never get past a Greece/Cyprus veto. Not unless they sorted the mess in Northern Cyprus at the very least.

I guess Erdogan hasn't soured relations with the UAE yet and they might be willing to increase trade.
I was thinking this before the coup. Notice how he tried to fix his relationship with Russia and Israel straight after Germany acknowledged the Armenian genocide. He's digging himself in for that fight.

magash

Leaving aside that it was a real possibility for awhile, hence the candidate state, that's still losing access to over 250 EU funds available to all candidate states and EU members.

I believe at the end of the day economics was always going to play a major role. Turkey has a large population that might really pose a challenge to the rest of the EU employment wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom