• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magash

I think it's entirely reasonable to only let countries into EU, whose values are compatible with ours. I don't think Turkey ever met those requirements. So they don't get in.

Exactly. That should have been the response from Brussels all along. They shouldn't be stringing along Turkey and its citizens. There is nothing wrong in saying to Turkey that they aren't 'European' enough.

Theonik

Exactly. That should have been the response from Brussels all along. They shouldn't be stringing along Turkey and its citizens. There is nothing wrong in saying to Turkey that they aren't 'European' enough.
The point of it is a process. Countries joining need to adhere to article 2 of the Lisbon Treaty and meet the criteria to join. They know what those are ahead of time. They can apply and gain access to assistance to implement the necessary reforms to eventually lead to a membership.

oti

Banned
I think it's entirely reasonable to only let countries into EU, whose values are compatible with ours. I don't think Turkey ever met those requirements. So they don't get in.

The point of the EU is to overcome those differences. It's a process and for a brief period of time things seemed pretty good. But since Cyprus and now this negotiations are just wasted time.

spekkeh

Banned
Well apparently 3,000,000 Turkish state employees are now barred from leaving the country pending investigation. I have half a mind to tell my Turkish friend who's currently on holiday in Turkey to get the fuck out of there while she still can, but I'm afraid even those communications might be monitored and I'd just put her at risk.

The point of it is a process. Countries joining need to adhere to article 2 of the Lisbon Treaty and meet the criteria to join. They know what those are ahead of time. They can apply and gain access to assistance to implement the necessary reforms to eventually lead to a membership.
Exactly can't dangle a carrot in front of them expecting them to change for the eventual goal of joining the EU w/o giving something back.
The point of the EU is to overcome those differences. It's a process and for a brief period of time things seemed pretty good. But since Cyprus and now this negotiations are just wasted time.
and money really. Turkey in a matter of days went back decades in progress. It has been ongoing for awhile but this fell swoop went a couple steps further.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well apparently 3,000,000 Turkish state employees are now barred from leaving the country pending investigation. I have half a mind to tell my Turkish friend who's currently on holiday in Turkey to get the fuck out of there while she still can, but I'm afraid even those communications might be monitored and I'd just put her at risk.
It's getting uglier by the day for the normal people in there. I can only imagine how I'd feel in a situation like that. Perhaps now is the time for a summer vacation in Greece, TurkGaf.

spekkeh

Banned
At this point I expect the important announcement tomorrow to either be that Erdogan declares himself Sultan, El-Baghdadi subjugates to him, or he pulls off his mask to reveal he was M. Bison all along.

iceatcs

Could see it lead to WWIII if things go wrong. US/EU/Russia better stay away from Turkey. Let them destroy itself.

I wonder if they're considering launching a strike.

It's in the Times now as well:
The Times UK said:
Turkish navy ships still missing after botched coup

Fourteen Turkish navy ships remained at sea and unaccounted for last night
amid concerns that their commanders may be coup conspirators seeking to defect.

Admiral Veysel Kosele, the commander of the Turkish navy, has been out of contact since Friday night’s botched coup, a source confirmed. It is not known whether he was an instigator of the attempt to oust President Erdogan or is being held hostage by collaborators on the run.

Source
In context, the Turkish Navy has: 16 frigates, 8 corvettes, 13 submarines, 23 missile boats, if you exclude stuff like patrol boats and mine sweepers.

That means a considerable part of the Turkish fleet has gone AWOL, including the flag ship, a state of the art missile frigate, that was "taken over" (in retrospective we can assume the crew was part of the coup), the Admiral in command of the entire Navy (Veysel Kosele) taken "hostage" (considering how many ships went AWOL I wouldn't be surprised if he was a coupist all along, or at least a considerable part of his high command) and set to sea Sunday morning.

Joni said:
I wonder if they're considering launching a strike.
And hit what specifically? Erdogan will be at a non-disclosed location most of the time and the rest of the coupists on land has surrendered, has been arrested or is in hiding. Launching missiles would also give away their position and result in the Air Force going after them like hornets. Hitting random buildings like the Parliament is pointless and counter-productive. In other words: They won't.

The big question is where they will be going now. there aren't a whole lot countries left in the mediterranean sea that will lick their lips at getting a state of the art navy without regard to Erdogan's response and grant them asylum (like Gaddhafi). Assad might but I'm not sure how much of the Syrian coast is under his control and whether or not he would risk military strikes from Turkey against him.
Putin would... and the Russian's have an naval base in Syria (Tartus Naval Base). They might be going for that.

In context, the Turkish Navy has: 16 frigates, 8 corvettes, 13 submarines, 23 missile boats, if you exclude stuff like patrol boats and mine sweepers.

That means a considerable part of the Turkish fleet has gone AWOL, including the flag ship, a state of the art missile frigate, that was "taken over" (in retrospective we can assume the crew was part of the coup), the Admiral in command of the entire Navy (Veysel Kosele) taken "hostage" (considering how many ships went AWOL I wouldn't be surprised if he was a coupist all along, or at least a considerable part of his high command) and set to sea.

And hit what specifically? Erdogan will be at a non-disclosed location most of the time and the rest of the coupists on land has surrendered, has been arrested or is in hiding. Launching missiles would also give away their position and result in the Air Force going after them like hornets. Hitting random buildings like the Parliament is pointless and counter-productive. In other words: They won't.

The big question is where they will be going now. there aren't a whole lot countries left in the mediterranean sea that will lick their lips at getting a state of the art navy without regard to Erdogan's response and grant them asylum (like Gaddhafi). Assad might but I'm not sure how much of the Syrian coast is under his control and whether or not he would risk military strikes from Turkey against him.
Putin would... and the Russian's have an naval base in Syria (Tartus Naval Base). They might be going for that.

I doubt they could just keep the navy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They would definitely attack Syria over this.

They might sink their own ships?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That means a considerable part of the Turkish fleet has gone AWOL, including the flag ship, a state of the art missile frigate, that was "taken over" (in retrospective we can assume the crew was part of the coup), the Admiral in command of the entire Navy (Veysel Kosele) taken "hostage" (considering how many ships went AWOL I wouldn't be surprised if he was a coupist all along, or at least a considerable part of his high command) and set to sea Sunday morning.

That's a good part of the Turkish navy. Seeing what's happening on the ground with the other soldiers and officers I'm sure they have no intention of surrender.

I don't think an attack on anybody is good idea after you just changed most of the officers on almost all your army corps. That's like sending a mob to fight, not an army.

I think that if Putin takes them there is very little that Turkey can do. Russia has more leverage, is modernizing it's army (so 14 state of the art ships taken straight from the NATO would be one hell of a boon) and Erdogan just can't attack Russia or declare war on it, in that case the rest of NATO would keep the hell out of the conflict (NATO is a defensive alliance after all) and Russia has more firepower. Taking out Turkey would eliminate Putin's only major opponent in his zone of influence in the middle east ... and the Turkish military right now is like a hydra that had all its heads chopped off thanks to all the arrests.

That's a good part of the Turkish navy. Seeing what's happening on the ground with the other soldiers and officers I'm sure they have no intention of surrender.
This. They'd rather sink the ships out of spite near the Syrian coast and try to get asylum through the Russians or Assad.

spekkeh

Banned
So that would be the admiral of the Navy and the commanders of the second and third army that purportely were in the coup? That doesn't sound like a small faction. It also doesn't seem likely that such a coup would fail imo. I'm starting to wonder whether these people are actually involved or simply part of the purge.

spekkeh

Banned
I seriously, seriously doubt they would give away their ships to an enemy. Despite the rhetoric, they're insurgents, not traitors. They'll either defect to a NATO country and hand over the ships back to the regime (most likely), or play out some long stalemate with the Turkish government, but that would probably mean they at some point have to become pirates.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I seriously, seriously doubt they would give away their ships to an enemy. Despite the rhetoric, they're insurgents, not traitors. They'll either defect to a NATO country and hand over the ships back to the regime (most likely), or play out some long stalemate with the Turkish government, but that would probably mean they at some point have to become pirates.

Yes, I don't see them handing over the ships to Russia or Syria unless they are really desperate. Problem with going to a NATO country is that it's more likely for them to be extradited.

I wonder how trying to contact Israel or Egypt could work.

"Enemy" is a relative term when it is about your very survival. If they go to a NATO country they will run a very high risk of being send back to Turkey. If they are staunch secularists they might also hate Erdogan enough to rather see the ships in the hands of the Russians or at the bottom of the ocean than in the hands of Erdogan and his puppets.

Yes, I don't see them handing over the ships to Russia or Syria unless they are really desperate. Problem with going to a NATO country is that it's more likely for them to be extradited.

Yeah, good idea. Sisi didn't condemn the coup after all (he even blocked an UN resolution that was supposed to do that), is very unlikely to extradite coupists (which would undermine his own power, considering how he himself came to power) and would definitely like those ships in his navy. Israel on the other hand is rather close to the US and does rely on the goodwill of the rest of the NATO members to large parts.

Many european countries don't extradite to countries that have the death penalty. With Erdogan wanting to reinstate it they'd be relatively safe.

The more enemies Turkey has, the better it is to solidify the STOIC LEADER VS THE WORLD narrative. It may be worse for Turkey as a whole, but hey, who cares about that when you can keep one despot in power.

They are firing teachers too?

Even if you are doing full on Islamic State, do you have to turn on the teachers so soon? They are harmless.

Sijil

Purging military and politically opponents, persecuting academics, silencing media. How far has Turkey fallen, from a shining beacon of the Middle East, to a backwards repressive country no better than Erdogan's rivals in Egypt or Saudi Arabia.

At least we can finally say that Erdogan's dreams of bringing back the backwards Ottoman empire is becoming reality. Iran, Iraq and Syria have much to better wary off, they need to bolster their military since Erdogan might set his sights southwards, better for him to be a king in the Middle East since he can't join the EU.

The Turkish embassy in Belgium has accused the Flemish government of having intimate ties with Gülenist movements and supporting a terrorist organisation.

The president of the Flemish Government, Geert Bourgeois, was not amused.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/2.45521?eid=1.2717996

hopefully this won't lead to more 'protests'
Holy shit.

The Flems?
No surprise. Everyone in the government should consider themselves a target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom