• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
I just took a look at twitter and some people are actually supporting the idea of Erdogan becoming Sultan.

I thought it was a joke at first. I'm speechless.

I will never underestimate people's capability to assure themselves that something terrible is actually great.

The return of the Ottoman Empire haha this is crazy. Ataturk would be ashamed.
GewIRC6.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
I just took a look at twitter and some people are actually supporting the idea of Erdogan becoming Sultan.

Why? It clearly seemed his endgame all along. He flirted with the Ottoman heritage, doesn't believe in democracy much, viciously prosecuted everyone that would say nasty things about the Ottoman empire like that they were involved in genocide or that Ataturk was a good man, and built himself a huge golden palace.

Klyka

Banned
Why? It clearly seemed his endgame all along. He flirted with the Ottoman heritage, doesn't believe in democracy much, viciously prosecuted everyone that would say nasty things about the Ottoman empire like that they were involved in genocide or that Ataturk was a good man, and built himself a huge golden palace.

I will never,ever get over that damn palace.

What is a sultan, I've seen it thrown around alot

Sultan (/ˈsʌltən/; Arabic: سلطان‎‎ sulṭān, pronounced [sʊlˈtˤɑːn, solˈtˤɑːn]) is a noble title with several historical meanings. Originally, it was an Arabic abstract noun meaning "strength", "authority", "rulership", derived from the verbal noun سلطة sulṭah, meaning "authority" or "power". Later, it came to be used as the title of certain rulers who claimed almost full sovereignty in practical terms (i.e., the lack of dependence on any higher ruler), albeit without claiming the overall caliphate, or to refer to a powerful governor of a province within the caliphate.

I always forget about that monstrosity.

I must be blocking it out.

Theonik

I also dont get those. The ones here in Germany that I know of dont even have a strong connection to the country besides their parents being turkish, but living here their whole lives and been to Turkey maybe once or twice in their life...
This is precisely why they do it. It is because their actual link to Turkey is weak that they wish to demonstrate their Turkishness.

"You see the Greeks support the Gulenists!"
I wouldn't be surprised if he turned to claim that the Greeks supported the coup. It's par for the course. Hell he could say we are holding them in an effort to prevent their confession.

I mean, Erdogan did say some time ago that "Hitler's Germany is an example of effective government"

And now is the time, to change it into that.

Although, at that time he added:

But I guess he does not abuse this system, because he was democratically elected and does all those things to "serve the nation"...
From Hitler's perspective I'm sure he also thought that he did what he did to 'serve the nation' or at least that might have been his interal/external justification. Strong leader doing what's right.

What is a sultan, I've seen it thrown around alot

It's a ruler of a Muslim empire/ kingdom, basically king. In the Ottoman Empire, Sultans were not only political but religious leaders in the title of Caliph of Islam.

The last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire left in 1922, when the Ottoman Empire collapsed, the Sultanate and Caliphate were abolished, and became the Republic of Turkey.

Sultan Mehmed VI, the last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire

Van

It's a ruler of a Muslim empire/ kingdom, basically king. In the Ottoman Empire, Sultans were not only political but religious leaders in the title of Caliph of Islam.

The last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire left in 1922, when the Ottoman Empire collapsed, the Sultanate and Caliphate were abolished, and became the Republic of Turkey.

Sultan Mehmed VI, the last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
Thank you! I learned something new today

Condom

I know people, educated people, who want him to become emir and him to lead all Sunni Muslims. I wish I was kidding but I'm not.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm sure there are Turks wo aren't blinded by patriotism and are just as opposed to the recent events as we are. But what are they supposed to do? Demonstrate on the streets just to get beat up by Erdogan supporters or to disappear a few days later?

Turkey is absolutely fucked now. The blind stupidity of a majority of people in a country continues to puzzle me.
I really can't see a way back from this.

Klyka

Banned
Question: How exactly is the country functioning with police officers,judges and now teachers completely gutted?

Am I wrong in thinking those are huge numbers? Are they like just 5% of the police force/teachers or something?

Sijil

How can someone call himself a patriot stand and cheer for his own soldiers to be humiliated and beaten to death by pro AQ thugs, some even foreigners from Chechnya and Syria? If anyone is a traitor to the principles of the modern Republic of Turkey it's Erdogan.

Question: How exactly is the country functioning with police officers,judges and now teachers completely gutted?

Am I wrong in thinking those are huge numbers? Are they like just 5% of the police force/teachers or something?

Probably replaced with pro Erdogan thugs, much like the SS replaced the SA, this is very comparable to the Night of long knives.

Both of those statements are true, though. He was democratically elected, and he is assisting (to an extent) the efforts against ISIS.

He may have been elected but he is not a democratic person and people have legit right to disagree with his behavior tbh. I was also talking about the mainstream media who's hands aren't tied unlike NATO/EU.

Zatoth

I not form Turkey, so I don't know how bad it really is. But I'd try to get out of there asap if I was not 100% Pro-Erdogan and sure that everybody I have ties with feels the same way.

Klyka

Banned
How can someone call himself a patriot stand and cheer for his own soldiers to be humiliated and beaten to death by pro AQ thugs, some even foreigners from Chechnya and Syria? If anyone is a traitor to the principles of the modern Republic of Turkey it's Erdogan.

Probably replaced with pro Erdogan thugs, much like the SS replaced the SA, this is very comparable to the Night of long knives.

But, how do you just replace them?

Does he really have like 8000 trained police officers who were just like, unemployed, lying around and now put them into those positions?
Same with Teachers?

Like,these are not jobs you just "fill up". These are jobs that require training, studies and years of learning. You don't just grab a guy who supports you and go "you're teacher now"

warthog

I feel really bad for those people in Turkey who don't want all of this shit. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse, a lot worse. Piece of shit erdogan.

zeroOman

Given the avatar I'm assuming you're an Erdogan sympathizer, if so, how can you support such an evil and corrupt person/party? Is it simply because of religion?

If you don't support him ignore my post.

U mean like other country are acting... look at Egypt army what have done to the ppl do u see anyone give fuk no... why idk really go ask them.

Like,these are not jobs you just "fill up". These are jobs that require training, studies and years of learning. You don't just grab a guy who supports you and go "you're teacher now"

Dictators aren't usually concerned with building a functional society. Their list of priorities are:

1) Get more power
2) Secure the current power you wield
3) Go to step #1

Doesn't matter if the society falls apart around them. In fact, it's better for the dictators if the society does fall apart. That way the people will be powerless and too busy with their own survival to do anything.

Rektash

But, how do you just replace them?

Does he really have like 8000 trained police officers who were just like, unemployed, lying around and now put them into those positions?
Same with Teachers?

There is nothing nepotism can't solve! Trained professionals are for loosers...

Theonik

I think you'll find regimes like this do exactly that more often than not. Education training is less important than willingness to indoctrinate for the sake of the great leader.

iPaul93

After reading this thread,I'm just glad Turkey isn't a part of the EU.They have no place with the rest of us and this is coming from a romanian.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Probably because they view them as traitors and sometimes even terrorists so they don't care if they get abused.

Some years ago he purged the military of all the Kemalists and now he purged it of all the Gülenists (who are not the good guys btw as some here think). He has the entire country under his control now, and unfortunately I don't see him losing the elections so we're stuck with this motherfucker for a long time.

spekkeh

Banned
Seems to be smoke, but not an explosion. It's a residential district, so likely unrelated.

Or it's because there are no judges to judge the criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom