• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

My old roommate was in Ankara the day before everything went down. Fortunately she left that day yup go home. I hope she leaves soon and comes back to the US. She had protested against the administration before, and is very vocal on social media, now is as good a time as any to leave.

Baybars

Banned
How can someone call himself a patriot stand and cheer for his own soldiers to be humiliated and beaten to death by pro AQ thugs, some even foreigners from Chechnya and Syria? If anyone is a traitor to the principles of the modern Republic of Turkey it's Erdogan.

Probably replaced with pro Erdogan thugs, much like the SS replaced the SA, this is very comparable to the Night of long knives.

I know it hurts you alot that the coup has failed but the idea that hundreds of thousands of turks are Al qaeda simply because they humiliated men who decided to betray their country is hilarious. Particularly from someone who supports assad regime who destroyed their country

I know it hurts you alot that the coup has failed but the idea that hundreds of thousands of turks are Al qaeda simply because they humiliated men who decided to betray their country is hilarious. Particularly from someone who supports assad regime who destroyed their country
The only people who betrayed their country are those who supported Erdogan.

Tecnniqe

Banned
But, how do you just replace them?

Does he really have like 8000 trained police officers who were just like, unemployed, lying around and now put them into those positions?
Same with Teachers?

Like,these are not jobs you just "fill up". These are jobs that require training, studies and years of learning. You don't just grab a guy who supports you and go "you're teacher now"
Don't truly grasp Erdogan

Winkyface

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Erdogan is a powerdouche, but it's time to keep the hyperbole in check. We haven't seen any mass graves yet nor anything that supports the comparisons with Stalin.

Sijil

Hundreds of thousands can be mass deluded regardless of their numbers. Erdogan and his followers betrayed the foundations of modern day Turkey, the only traitors are those who support this Stalinist purge. The mob against academics, the mob will win because of their numbers it doesn't mean they're right.

How quaint that you assign the destruction of Syria to a single individual.

Erdogan is a powerdouche, but it's time to keep the hyperbole in check. We haven't seen any mass graves yet nor anything that supports the comparisons with Stalin.
Right. We're only at step one.

Give it a year or two. We're talking about rule by a man who admires the Ottoman Empire, won't acknowledge the three genocides that empire committed and attacks those who acknowledge them. Doesn't give me great hope.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm somewhat surprised by the amount of attention that the education purge is getting among local (non Turkish) media. This is going to increase diplomatic pressure across Europe, no doubt. As a matter of fact, the word "purge" is being liberally used all over the place.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
52 percent of the electorate betrayed their country. I suppose you think the military dictatorship were the paragons of virtue
You keep referring to percents, as if this was some kind of democracy. This boat has long sailed, pal. Enjoy your padishah.

I'm somewhat surprised by the amount of attention that the education purge is getting among local (non Turkish) media. This is going to increase diplomatic pressure across Europe, no doubt. As a matter of fact, the word "purge" is being liberally used all over the place.
Diplomatic pressure probably plays right into his hands unfortunately.

Easy target. Dunno what any countries can do about this.

Shiggy

Just goes on to show that non-Turkish media are controlled by Gulenists/ the US.

trembli0s

The nukes have to come out now, while the new Sultan is still busy consolidating all the power.

If you wait you blow the chance to get them out. Does anyone think he's going to let us pull them out after he has assumed full control?

Just goes on to show that non-Turkish media are controlled by Gulenists/ the US.
Lol exactly.
The nukes have to come out now, while the new Sultan is still busy consolidating all the power.

If you wait you blow the chance to get them out. Does anyone think he's going to let us pull them out after he has assumed full control?
Well he doesn't have the launch codes, so I don't think he'd care too much actually.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I can't see how diplomatic pressure will make the slightest difference to Erdogan. He clearly doesn't give a damn.

pulsemyne

It's not like he could take them and use them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can't see how diplomatic pressure will make the slightest difference to Erdogan. He clearly doesn't give a damn.

Diplomatic pressure usually involves trade. Erdogan has built much of his support on the back of a growing economy. I don't think Europe is willing to go to a trade war with Turkey since it's an important partner, but getting kicked out from the EU accession process wouldn't be a small penalty.

52 percent of the electorate betrayed their country. I suppose you think the military dictatorship were the paragons of virtue

4-star-wars-quotes.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Diplomatic pressure usually involves trade. Erdogan has built much of his support on the back of a growing economy. I don't think Europe is willing to go to a trade war with Turkey since it's an important partner, but getting kicked out from the EU accession process already comes with large penalties.

Still at this point I don't think he cares. I've no idea of his long game but I can't see how he can turn Turkey around doing what he's currently doing.
This leaves the intolerable thought that he's going to surround himself with cronies and live the high life in his palace and the people can go fuck themselves.

oti

Banned

The German word for "cleansing" is "Säuberung". The moment Erdogan used that word German media decided to not mince words anymore.

nynt9

Just got a call from my parents. They work at a public hospital. They had just gone on vacation two days ago, but they're being recalled on "extraordinary circumstances" and all vacation time is being rescinded. Also the hospital administration (which was previously anti Erdogan) has been replaced.

My guess is those teachers weren't down with the hateful curriculum subscribed by the ministry of education.
No, they were definitely part of the coup and about to charge at Erdogan's palace armed with pens and chalks on friday. Gotta purge 'em all.

I wonder how this whole mess is sitting in Germany, given its large Turkish community and whatnot.
The German media using "Säuberung" says volumes about how far the situation has detoriated, since Nazi Germany and the Holocaust that word is heavily loaded and associated with purges of the exterminating kind.

Joezie

Nuke people calm down.

Both the 75th Ranger regiment, and 101st Airborne divisions are operating nearby for Operation Enduring Freedom and such. BOTH of which specialize in Airfield Seizure. Not even excluding the fact that the Turkish armed forces are in disarray as far as I can tell. CSG's have also been mentioned. It's a fight he wouldn't win in any capacity.

Ignoring the incredibly unlikely scenario in which he things he can even get the nukes anyway.

I think the coup started,
I'm not speaking about Friday's "coup"
I'm speaking about the coup on Turkey the country by a crazy religio-political party

E-phonk

Banned
The terrorist attacks, the coup and Erodgan's anti-coup must surely lessen the tourism in Turkey, especially with all the media right now?

According to wikipedia it already declined from 42 million in 2014 to 36 million in 2015. I can see that number skydive, especially in the second half of this year.

I wonder how this whole mess is sitting in Germany, given its large Turkish community and whatnot.

There were big-ish demonstrations of the Turkish communities in many bigger German cities during the night of the coup and the day after. Groups of people running around in support of Erdogan with turkish flags and so on. You'd never see that kind of reaction from most of them about German political issues, which shows that integration has still a long way to go. It's worrying (and baffling) to know that many of them support Erdogan.

Wellscha

My parent have been drinking Al-Jazeera kool aid the last few days. What a disgusting news channel, the equivalent of Fox News Middle East.

There were big-ish demonstrations of the Turkish communities in many bigger German cities during the night of the coup and the day after. People running around in support of Erdogan with turkish flags and so on. You'd never see that kind of reaction from most of them about German political issues, which shows that integration has still a long way to go. It's worrying to know that many of them support Erdogan.
The huge backlash after the Armenian Genocide resolution by the Bundestag (which was in large parts about recognizing the guilt of the German Empire in ignoring the genocide) was a huge red flag already. Several politicians of Turkish descent recieved death threats in the dozens.

Just got a call from my parents. They work at a public hospital. They had just gone on vacation two days ago, but they're being recalled on "extraordinary circumstances" and all vacation time is being rescinded. Also the hospital administration (which was previously anti Erdogan) has been replaced.
Geez. Hope they're ok.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For the past hours I've been thinking what all these events remind me of. Never in my life did I assume I'd be witnessing a Cultural Revolution live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom