• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past hours I've been thinking what all these events remind me of. Never in my life did I assume I'd be witnessing a Cultural Revolution live.
I'd say right now it has more in common with Germany in 1933 right after the Reichstagsbrand, right down to the religious persecution (several churches and other religious minorities having been attacked already by armed goon squads).

And yes, I'd never have thought I'd witness something like that in my lifetime. It's disturbing how true the "history repeats itself" saying rings now. Hopefully the international community will handle this better than how they handled Hitler (I have my doubts).

norinrad

I'd say right now it has more in common with Germany in 1933 right after the Reichstagsbrand, right down to the religious persecution (several churches and other religious minorities having been attacked already by armed goon squads).

And yes, I'd never have thought I'd witness something like that in my lifetime. It's disturbing how true the "history repeats itself" saying rings now.

The problem with Europe is, nothing will happen until it is too late. Yugoslavia isn't that far and still fresh in memory, Europe just sat and watched.

I thought RT would be pushing the dictator angle hard because of Turkey/Russia relations being so low. Or are they trying to cosy up to Erdogan in hopes of worsening relations with NATO?

They have been sort of neutral.

Sijil

The problem with Europe is, nothing will happen until it is too late. Yugoslavia isn't that far and still fresh in memory, Europe just sat and watched.

Europe is near powerless to act what with Erdogan blackmailing Europe with Syrian refugees.

Condom

My parent have been drinking Al-Jazeera kool aid the last few days. What a disgusting news channel, the equivalent of Fox News Middle East.

They haven't jumped ship to Al Arabiya yet? My dad doesn't watch Al-Jazeera anymore and my family in Morocco are also watching Al Arabiya now. Don't know if they are any different though in the news reporting.

huh, i thought they were an okay news source. did that change happen somewhat recently?
Arabic version. From what I've heard people got fed up with the biased reporting, they were extremely popular when I was a child and pretty much the no.1 news channel in MENA.

Nivash

They have been sort of neutral.

In my experience, a neutral RT usually indicates that Russia hasn't decided on a course of action yet. They're probably biding their time and waiting for the situation to solidify. If they think there's a chance that Turkey coyld be pushed, pulled or goaded out of NATO's orbit I'm sure they'd be tempted to take it.

Russia is nothing if not opportunistic.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really wish Kerry or Obama would have a press conference where they actually take questions. They have to be grilled about their statements regarding how people should support the democratically elected government.

Sijil

huh, i thought they were an okay news source. did that change happen somewhat recently?

Neutral? Ever since the so called Arab spring started they've been a vile sectarian outlet, its news reporters would relay Iraqi troop movements on air, their commentators would call ISIS insurgency as a legitimate Sunni uprising in Iraq. Commentators would ask viewers if Alawites are deserving of a genocide, they would host religious scholars who would publicly call Shias and Christians infidels and anyone who doesn't support Morsi or Erdogan as a heathen.

Al Jazeera is actually the only outlet who refuses to address ISIS as Daesh.

They're a source of sedition in the Middles East and Al Arabiya is no better, just a mouth peace for the Saudi royal family.

petran79

Banned
I just took a look at twitter and some people are actually supporting the idea of Erdogan becoming Sultan.

I thought it was a joke at first. I'm speechless.

Ergogan is really pronounced Ergo-han in Turkish. Great Han indeed

Neutral? Ever since the so called Arab spring started they've been a vile sectarian outlet, it's news reporters would relay Iraqi troop movements on air, their commentators would call ISIS insurgency as a legitimate Sunni uprising in Iraq. Commentators would ask viewers if Alawites are deserving of a genocide, they would host religious scholars who would publicly call Shias and Christians infidels and anyone who doesn't support Morsi or Erdogan as a heathen.

Their a source of sedition in the Middles East and Al Arabiya is no better, just a mouth peace for the Saudi royal family.

It is fortunate that Egypt did not turn into Syria, though it was very near becoming so. Military intervened just the right moment.

Theonik

Same thing we thought when our allies became brutal capitalist dictatorships during the cold war.
This isn't the cold war though. So tolerances are much lower. The war on ISIS is also much less essential than the fight against communism since it's a matter of handling rather than a 'they can obliterate all of civilisation if we tick them off' way.

I wonder what NATO's leaders think of all these developments?
Concerned, instability in Turkey is an issue that requires certain contingencies to be put in motion. On the other hand they don't care if Turkey remains a reliable ally. Though, other members of NATO might feel comfortable enough to apply political pressure through NATO.

I just love how the pro Erdogan supporters all but disappeared from this thread.. Just like his voter base, they blindly vote him in and then do nothing and watch as their liberties are taken away.

Religion is a helluva tool.

Alucrid

Banned
They haven't jumped ship to Al Arabiya yet? My dad doesn't watch Al-Jazeera anymore and my family in Morocco are also watching Al Arabiya now. Don't know if they are any different though in the news reporting.

Arabic version. From what I've heard people got fed up with the biased reporting, they were extremely popular when I was a child and pretty much the no.1 news channel in MENA.

Ah, well I don't read or speak Arabic

Never visited their conspiracy theory section?

Honestly, never visited the site.

Neutral? Ever since the so called Arab spring started they've been a vile sectarian outlet, it's news reporters would relay Iraqi troop movements on air, their commentators would call ISIS insurgency as a legitimate Sunni uprising in Iraq. Commentators would ask viewers if Alawites are deserving of a genocide, they would host religious scholars who would publicly call Shias and Christians infidels and anyone who doesn't support Morsi or Erdogan as a heathen.

Their a source of sedition in the Middles East and Al Arabiya is no better, just a mouth peace for the Saudi royal family.

I don't recall where exactly I got my impression from, but at least it's nice to know it's corrected now. Thanks.

Markoman

This parallel is beyond ridiculous by how much on point this is.

George Lucas is a visionary.

Yeah, it seems like our views on Ep. 1-3 have to be changed. We simply weren't ready.

Maybe we will learn to love JaJa, kid Annie, teen Annie in a few years from now.

Tweet deleted?

They changed it to this

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/755439176573652993?lang=en
Why live so many ACP #Erdogan supporters in #Germany, when the policy in #Turkey is so magnificent?
b2HNSMT.jpg

Nivash

The Turkish embassy in Belgium has accused the Flemish government of having intimate ties with Gülenist movements and supporting a terrorist organisation.

The president of the Flemish Government, Geert Bourgeois, was not amused.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/2.45521?eid=1.2717996

hopefully this won't lead to more 'protests'

Our president has responded by drawing a parallel between Turkey and the Nazi Regime heh.

I'm fully expecting some demonstrations tomorrow in Brussels.

If there was any doubt left that Turkish democracy isn't already dead, that should be the definitive death knell. Erdogan just ended freedom of the press.

Edit: Oh, wrong link I see. Your comment works either way.

Yeah actually was just reading about him shutting down the news, and radio stations (that's why I had copied the link) that had roots with Gulen... Those theories about him calling Greece a Gulenist state don't seem too far fetched now.

I will leave the link here since it's pretty relevant.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/755439281594834946

This parallel is beyond ridiculous by how much on point this is.

George Lucas is a visionary.

"What about the other Gulenists spread across the world?"

SULTAN ERDOGAN: "Their betrayal will be dealt with. After you have arrested all the Gulenists in Turkey, go to the United States. Wipe out Fethullah Gulen and the other Gulenist leaders. Once more, the Ottomans will rule Turkey, and we shall have peace."

wonder who Turkey will lean more to now

Russia? Invest more in Africa? Maybe befriend some Asian countries?

Will they look to there Stan countries... other Turk Countries?

Chaos17

I don't know if it's old news or not... I saw today an french article (main feed news) talking about the number of people being "suspected" or placed in custody.
Sorry for my bad english.
- 1,577 public university deans asked to leave their posts
- 25,000 civil servants are police officers and teachers have been suspended or removed from office in the country in the context of hunting "gülenistes"

Officials laid off have been banned from leaving the country.

- 9322 soldiers, magistrates, police officers are the subject of legal proceedings
- 118 generals and admirals have been placed in custody

Source: http://www.lalibre.be/dernieres-dep...nement-et-aux-medias-578e62d135705dcbd70350c5

I think the numbers are just horrible...

Snwaters

It's not clear what happened with the commander of the Navy and 14 ships that seem to be unaccounted since Friday evening.

If I had to guess, they probably made for Egypt. Of the players in the region, it's between Syria (and by proxy Russia) or Egypt. These are the only two that would be less likely to immediately extradite to appease Turkey. The former is unlikely due to instability in Syria, as well as Russia being Turkey's like sworn foe for God knows how many centuries. The crews of all those ships may not be cool with seeking asylum with your sworn enemy- and the move would just absolutely demonize them in the eyes of the entire Turkish public, not just Erdogan's fanatics.

The safe bet is Egypt. Sisi is no fan of Erdogan, and is looking to make Egypt the regional power in the eastern Mediterranean. All those relatively state of the art ships, as well as Turkey coming apart at the seams plays into his dream of making Egypt the new Turkey. Plus, him being a Sunni and a military man also helps.

Baybars

Banned
Hundreds of thousands can be mass deluded regardless of their numbers. Erdogan and his followers betrayed the foundations of modern day Turkey, the only traitors are those who support this Stalinist purge. The mob against academics, the mob will win because of their numbers it doesn't mean they're right.

How quaint that you assign the destruction of Syria to a single individual.

Erdogan took his country from sick man of Europe to a G20 nation. The guy you support basher Al assad has took an ancient country back to the middle ages simply because he had daddy issues. The Mongols and the French showed more mercy to Muslims than the assad regime has shown to its people.

Erdogan is many things. And he has made many mistakes. But it's telling that you have shown so much hatred for him rather than the mass war criminal next door who has killed.more Arabs than Israel ever could.

You have the temerity to call it the so called Arab spring. News flash. Alawites like zubaida Al meeki who joined the Syrian revolution are far more honorable than the sunnis farouq Al shara. The only person who made this a sectarian war is the criminal from qardaha and his minions

Ac30

Erdogan took his country from sick man of Europe to a G20 nation. The guy you support basher Al assad has took an ancient country back to the middle ages simply because he had daddy issues. The Mongols and the French showed more mercy to Muslims than the assad regime has shown to its people.

Erdogan is many things. And he has made many mistakes. But it's telling that you have shown so much hatred for him rather than the mass war criminal next door who has killed.more Arabs than Israel ever could.

You have the temerity to call it the so called Arab spring. News flash. Alawites like zubaida Al meeki who joined the Syrian revolution are far more honorable than the sunnis farouq Al shara. The only person who made this a sectarian war is the criminal from qardaha and his minions

So you support his reforms, then?

I think we can all agree that both are awful and vile people.

Sijil

Hitler also managed to rescue his country from the economic ruins of WW1, and much like Hitler, Erdogan is walking the very same path. He has just turned his country into a repressive xenophobic Islamist country, instead of the secular democratic country that Ataturk envisioned it to be.

Because the mass criminal next door doesn't call me an infidel and doesn't support terrorists that want to cut my head off because I pray to God with my arms down instead of having them crossed.

Zubaida is nothing more than a propaganda, fled to Turkey in no less than two months, the amount of minorities against Assad can be counted on hand, the amount of Sunnis that fight for Assad are huge.

Also today, just a few hours ago, the Zinki brigade, a so called moderate brigade, just beheaded a teenage Palestinian fighter merely because he was fighting for Assad.

If I had to choose between those moderates who even behead their fellow Sunnis or Assad, yeah I would take my chances with Assad.

Erdogan is taking his country back to being the sick man of Europe, so I'm not sure what that's supposed to do for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom