• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Erdogan took his country from sick man of Europe to a G20 nation.
Yes, with broad EU support, receiving his 10 years of fame, before hurling his country back to the pre-Ataturk age because his ego outgrew his intellect. Let's see which group Erdogan's Turkey gets into now..

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Commander of the Gendarma, police, dismissed.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/755478285715435521

Hopefully all of these purges will create enough enemies to topple Erdogan in the long run. If Erdogan doesn't have enough enemies now, these purges coupled with the academic brain drain and economic depression will make certain that he will.

No, the only thing these purges will make certain is that there will be no opposition left with the power to topple him. Who is supposed to do that? The army? He got rid of the Kemalists during the last purge and now the Gülenists. Police? Long in his hands.
The people? If one million people went to the streets protesting him, there would be two million Erdostans on the streets fighting the protestors
He has a lot of enemies, but they have no power anymore.

Baybars

Banned
Hitler also managed to rescue his country from the economic ruins of WW1, and much like Hitler, Erdogan is walking the very same path. He has just turned his country into a repressive xenophobic Islamist country, instead of the secular democratic country that Ataturk envisioned it to be.

Yeah. Erdogan is now hitler. Erdogan who under him turkish jews were able to open their synagogues in izmir while the great ataturk closed them down. Erdogan who under his we have a kurdish parliamentary party while the great secular institutions of military refused to even allow turkish kurds to have their own language. Erdogan who under him we have the christian ministeries drectly being funded by the state while the secularists took away their properties. Ataturk by the way nearly eliminated the opposition after a failed assasination attempt

Because the mass criminal next door doesn't call me an infidel and doesn't support terrorists that want to cut my head off because I pray to God with my arms down instead of having them crossed.

The mass criminal next door has guys who gang rape syrian women and children because they are the sons of bani ummayah. The mass crimnal next door has guys who bury people alive for refusing to say there is no God but bashar. The mass criminal next door has used sarin gas on women and children just three years ago in ghuta. Not even hitler used poison gas against allied troops. The mass criminal next door tortured and murdered a 11 year old boy hamza al khattib back in 2011 long before anyone even picked up a gun. Was it imam hussein who told bashar so?

Zubaida is nothing more than a propaganda, fled to Turkey in no less than two months, the amount of minorities against Assad can be counted on hand, the amount of Sunnis that fight for Assad are huge.

It takes special guts for someone to break free from their sect and join the rebellion. Zubaida could have joined her comrades and bombed cities for bashar but she didnt allow her sect to define her. As for the sunnis who support assad, well after murdering 500,000 and destroying 3 quarters of the country and exiling half the population, the only sunnis left are those with a barrel of a gun to their heads from the regime. The regme has murdered christians like wissam sara. I don't think it would be suprise if you never heard of wissam or zubaida before today

Also today, just a few hours ago, the Zinki brigade, a so called moderate brigade, just beheaded a teenage Palestinian fighter merely because he was fighting for Assad.

If I had to choose between those moderates who even behead their fellow Sunnis or Assad, yeah I would take my chances with Assad

The difference between the syrian rebellion and assad is that syrian opposition are man enough to condemn the crimes of zinki and go after the culprit. Whereas the bloke you support has declared either assad or we burn the country. Have you seen a shabiha ever cry over the baniyas massacre? i wonder how many gaffers here have the balls to google the pictures of that massacre? You know what's sad?. Assad and his goons sent that kid to his death and abandoned him in handarat and now trying to use him as propaganada

Let's face it siji. The only reason you support assad is because of sectarian reasons. Which i can understand. But don't try to excuse assad crimes. This why i respect subhi tufayli, and hani Fahs and walid joumblatt. All shias by the way. They know a mass murderer when they see him. Shame alot of their co religionists can't see that

comments in bold

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't agree with purges. But to put into context. The military coup had purges of 300k and upwards.

I like how you always compare him to Assad or military coup or whatever. There is no other context now. This is the new Erdogan regime. That's your context.

Sijil

comments in bold

Don't do that, it's annoying as hell.

Yeah. Erdogan is now hitler. Erdogan who under him turkish jews were able to open their synagogues in izmir while the great ataturk closed them down. Erdogan who under his we have a kurdish parliamentary party while the great secular institutions of military refused to even allow turkish kurds to have their own language. Erdogan who under him we have the christian ministeries drectly being funded by the state while the secularists took away their properties. Ataturk by the way nearly eliminated the opposition after a failed assasination attempt

It's a comparison, an apt one at that, Erdogan doesn't have to be a racist or an antisemite to be likened to Hitler. he is imprisoning and persecuting all opposition much like the German dictator, he cannot tolerate any dissent, he is in every way a power hungry authoritarian. Laughably enough he is turning into Assad with his crackdown on dissent.

The mass criminal next door has guys who gang rape syrian women and children because they are the sons of bani ummayah. The mass crimnal next door has guys who bury people alive for refusing to say there is no God but bashar. The mass criminal next door has used sarin gas on women and children just three years ago in ghuta. Not even hitler used poison gas against allied troops. The mass criminal next door tortured and murdered a 11 year old boy hamza al khattib back in 2011 long before anyone even picked up a gun. Was it imam hussein who told bashar so?

No, he doesn't kill Sunnis because "they are the sons of Bani Ummayah" what a childish retort, I'm sure all the Sunnis fighting in the Syrian army would laugh at your statement. If you want to play list wars and enumerate the many travesties of the Syrian Civil War, I'm not going to indulge you, as if Nusra, JAN, Ahrar hands are clean of innocent blood.

Difference, Assad doesn't kill due to sectarian differences, his enemies do.

It takes special guts for someone to break free from their sect and join the rebellion. Zubaida could have joined her comrades and bombed cities for bashar but she didnt allow her sect to define her. As for the sunnis who support assad, well after murdering 500,000 and destroying 3 quarters of the country and exiling half the population, the only sunnis left are those with a barrel of a gun to their heads from the regime. The regme has murdered christians like wissam sara. I don't think it would be suprise if you never heard of wissam or zubaida before today

So all the Sunnis fighting for Assad have a gun to heir head? Is that how you rationalize things? I mean couldn't those Sunnis who outnumber the minorities in Syria just turn those guns around? I also respect all the thousands of Sunnis who didn't allow their sect to define them and chose to serve their country instead of turning into mercenaries for Erdogan or the Saudi King's foot.

The difference between the syrian rebellion and assad is that syrian opposition are man enough to condemn the crimes of zinki and go after the culprit. Whereas the bloke you support has declared either assad or we burn the country. Have you seen a shabiha ever cry over the baniyas massacre? i wonder how many gaffers here have the balls to google the pictures of that massacre? You know what's sad?. Assad and his goons sent that kid to his death and abandoned him in handarat and now trying to use him as propaganada

Yeah, you keep me posted about the due process and internal investigation that Zinki is going to undertake and show me the results, we're talking about groups like Ahrar that sends teenagers and disabled as suicide bombers. Excuse me if I don't hold their credibility to high standards. Also the child was no soldier, he was just Palestinian who was accused of fighting for Assad.

Let's face it siji. The only reason you support assad is because of sectarian reasons. Which i can understand. But don't try to excuse assad crimes. This why i respect subhi tufayli, and hani Fahs and walid joumblatt. All shias by the way. They know a mass murderer when they see him. Shame alot of their co religionists can't see that

Of course I do, Assad is not going to murder my entire family because of my sect, the sectarian idiots fighting Assad will. Tough but it is the way it is.

You know what's funny? I never cared for Assad, I was also against his regime before 2011, but when you are faced with a giant cacophony of head cutting takfiri savages hellbent on killing you and your family then Assad doesn't seem too bad to me.

It's also hilarious that you support Subhi Tufayli who was ousted as Hezbollah chief because he instigated an inter Shia war in Lebanon which killed thousands of Shia. Or Hani Fahs who never really played any role in the Shia community and only spoke in events sponsored by the KSA. And Walid Jumblat is not a Shia, he is a Druze who have nothing to do with Shias, an atheist one at that.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Most experts believe that the US maintains 50 nuclear weapons in Turkey housed at the US air base at Incirlik. The weapons are Cold War-era B-61 "gravity" bombs.

US also stations these types of nuclear weapons in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. Note that these weapons would still need to be activated from Washington to be usable.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told German publication Der Spiegel in 2009 that, "These weapons are militarily obsolete today."

Walker noted that the bombs "are a point of pride in Turkey," adding that Turkey sees them and the nuclear umbrella they represent as one of the "main benefits of being in NATO."

Decisions about NATO's nuclear weapons have to be made by unanimous vote by all 28 member states.

Nice article on CNN about it.

Hazzuh

Interesting poll of Turks on who they think is responsible for the coup

CnwZrp8UMAABIXO.jpg:large

Wellscha

huh, i thought they were an okay news source. did that change happen somewhat recently?

Al-Jazeera has always been drumming Arabic nationalism, Islamism, and conspiracy theories as facts just to serve their narrative. They've been like that since their inception in the mid 90s.

What a despicable, propaganda spewing, hateful news channel.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's funny, given their enmity, how many parallels there are between Erdogan and Putin, but more tellingly, the astroturfing Stans they send out to spew unsophisticated propaganda and whataboutism. It's literally embarrassing to read Baybar's stuff. Like, does he think he's talking to children?

Baybars, please explain why dismantling the judiciary, law enforcement, educational establishment and unrelated military command apparatus is democratic. Or why jailing critics is the act of a strong person with a legitimate and lawful strategy? Don't say some bullshit about Assad, explain the bolded or stop posting.

Quick Google search gives me this:

Kuzey Irak petrollerinin Türkiye üzerinden dünyaya aktarılmasının altındaki ilişkiler açığa çıkmaya başladı. Kuzey Irak petrollerinin taşıyan şirketin, Cumhurbaşkanı Tayyip Erdoğan’ın damadı Berat Albayrak'ın patronu, Sabah ve Atv’yi önce iktidar medyası yapan, sonra havuz medyasına devreden Çalık Holding’e ait olduğu ortaya çıktı.

http://www.cagdasses.com/guncel/9550/oyle-bir-deprem-geliyor-ki-17-aralik-halt-etmis <- Don't know this site but the text is there since March 2015.

13 March 2015 16:25

BigAl1992

It's funny, given their enmity, how many parallels there are between Erdogan and Putin, but more tellingly, the astroturfing Stans they send out to spew unsophisticated propaganda and whataboutism. It's literally embarrassing to read Baybar's stuff. Like, does he think he's talking to children?

I don't know and I don't want to know. It's like the people who're trying to argue how Brexit is suppose to be this grand liberation of the UK from Europe, despite nearly everyone here saying how much of a bad idea it is, although with far less reaching implications to human life then what's going down in Turkey. And to be quite frank, I wouldn't waste my time replying to them. If they can't realise that a vast, overwhelming majority of people all around the entire planet are saying how much of a bad thing something is, then I'd just cut my losses and ignore every single point they make until they just bugger off. "Don't feed the troll" to be exact.

oti

Banned
My advice would be to not pay too much attention to the mails for now. Wait for journalists to do the curation proper.

nynt9

Unfortunately that email isn't conclusive. It reads like a depiction of accusations instead of conspiring to smuggle oil. Like someone is talking about what has been said about Erdogan.

Theonik

The problem with mass dumps like this is most of it is junk. It takes a lot of effort to get useful substance out of them, and at the same time a lot of information gets out that might be harmful. (security risks)

At the same time, some less professional journalists use this info for some silly sensationalist headlines without properly cross-referencing and interpreting these sources. Leading to misinformation.

Quoting myself because it was the last post:

Quick Google search gives me this:

Kuzey Irak petrollerinin Türkiye üzerinden dünyaya aktar&#305;lmas&#305;n&#305;n alt&#305;ndaki ili&#351;kiler aç&#305;&#287;a ç&#305;kmaya ba&#351;lad&#305;. Kuzey Irak petrollerinin ta&#351;&#305;yan &#351;irketin, Cumhurba&#351;kan&#305; Tayyip Erdo&#287;an’&#305;n damad&#305; Berat Albayrak'&#305;n patronu, Sabah ve Atv’yi önce iktidar medyas&#305; yapan, sonra havuz medyas&#305;na devreden Çal&#305;k Holding’e ait oldu&#287;u ortaya ç&#305;kt&#305;.

http://www.cagdasses.com/guncel/9550/oyle-bir-deprem-geliyor-ki-17-aralik-halt-etmis <- Don't know this site but the text is there since March 2015.

13 March 2015 16:25

Erdogan took his country from sick man of Europe to a G20 nation. The guy you support basher Al assad has took an ancient country back to the middle ages simply because he had daddy issues. The Mongols and the French showed more mercy to Muslims than the assad regime has shown to its people.

Erdogan is many things. And he has made many mistakes. But it's telling that you have shown so much hatred for him rather than the mass war criminal next door who has killed.more Arabs than Israel ever could.

You have the temerity to call it the so called Arab spring. News flash. Alawites like zubaida Al meeki who joined the Syrian revolution are far more honorable than the sunnis farouq Al shara. The only person who made this a sectarian war is the criminal from qardaha and his minions
Glad to see the "yeah he's bad but look over there someone is worse" argument is still valid.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Those figures are remarkably similar to voting intentions - AKP think it was Gulen, everyone else something else.

Erdogan took his country from sick man of Europe to a G20 nation. The guy you support basher Al assad has took an ancient country back to the middle ages simply because he had daddy issues. The Mongols and the French showed more mercy to Muslims than the assad regime has shown to its people.

Erdogan is many things. And he has made many mistakes. But it's telling that you have shown so much hatred for him rather than the mass war criminal next door who has killed.more Arabs than Israel ever could.

You have the temerity to call it the so called Arab spring. News flash. Alawites like zubaida Al meeki who joined the Syrian revolution are far more honorable than the sunnis farouq Al shara. The only person who made this a sectarian war is the criminal from qardaha and his minions

Ah yes, the "... but think of the autobahn!" line of reasoning!

Detox

So if we use that poll and say there's a sizeable minority that believes Erdogan staged the coup / are against him.

What can these people legitimately do? If they try to protest they are going to get beaten and arrested.

So if we use that poll and say there's a sizeable minority that believes Erdogan staged the coup / are against him.

What can these people legitimately do? If they try to protest they are going to get beaten and arrested.

No one actually thinks he staged it(no one sane that is) but more like he forced the opposition into a corner and they acted just like he expected/hoped.And they had knowledge about the attempt beforehand(like 6 hours earlier) so the only thing for him left to do was sit it out and wait and see whether the Kemalist/secular wing of the army would support it or not,they didn't and now he has his big chance to get full support for a possible referandum,a classic example of rally around the flag.

However Erdogan is not the sole benefactor of the situation,Kemalist wing of the army also benefitted from this whole thing,they supported Erdogan and now they will reap the rewards.This was a win-win situation for them,they got their revenge and managed to spread their influence all at once.

Also this situation is far from over,i expect a real coup in a few weeks/months,some ugly shit went down during&after protests and the tension between the Erdogan's supporters and the liberals/seculars is at an all time high.Today is especially critical as Erdogan is expected to announce early elections/referandum but there is also a chance that he will try to control to army as whole and assign TSK directly under a ministry,i don't expect him to make that move but if he did then it would certainly speed things along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom