• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
So if we use that poll and say there's a sizeable minority that believes Erdogan staged the coup / are against him.

What can these people legitimately do? If they try to protest they are going to get beaten and arrested.

They can do nothing.

Seriously yo this is fucking dangerous.

You have 50+ million supporting and believing in a dictator. All it takes is for Erdogan to reach out to the other Islamic countries and we're all fucked.

Something collaborative by the rest of world needs to happen to save Turkey's citizens but why would they? The world is shocked to its score and divided as fuck right now.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Skynews Arabia : "Turkey blocks wikileaks website "
That's not a surprise. He wants you to know what he wants you to know and only that.

Freedom of information is gone.
Justice system is dismantled.
School system is being dismantled.
Police are being dismantled.
The army is having groups dismantled.
Press who oppose him is arrested or worse.

>.>

Sijil

Wow, the presidency of religious affairs in Turkey just forbade holding prayers for the pro coup victims and soldiers killed, saying they're unworthy. This is no different than ISIS and Nusra calling their foes infidels.

Wow, the presidency of religious affairs in Turkey just forbade holding prayers for the pro coup victims and soldiers killed, saying they're unworthy. This is no different than ISIS and Nusra calling their foes infidels.
Umm religiously speaking they can't do it.
Does AKP have an exclusivity on Islam now in Turkey? That's similar to Iran system.

Tecnniqe

Banned
When you think it can't possibly become any worse...

Condom

How can he do this exactly?
I understand why he forbids it tho, they did a coup against his own government. Very few regimes would take kindly to that.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How can he do this exactly?
I understand why he forbids it tho, they did a coup against his own government. Very few regimes would take kindly to that.
Mmm yes. Why should the family and whatnot be allowed to pray for their sons/daughters that they won't be executed?
That's stupid.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If you don't believe in Erdogan you're clearly an infidel. Duh.

daxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ZGfJTem7A&feature=youtu.be
You can look at 9:20 or 11:41 ( NSFW) to understand why exactly they forbade holding prayers for these scumbags.

First, if you're riling up people to go toe to toe with military personnel rather than telling them to stay inside while the police force or others whose work it is to protect the people deal with the problem this is not an unexpected outcome and a devious win-win play to disaffect the public of the coupe and those involved in it. Counter-revolutionary populism is nothing new.

Second, before these people were part of the coup or the military, they were first children or siblings to people whose prayers go out to the memories of them rather than their actions in most cases. Denying their family the right to spiritual closure, whatever their actions, is unjustified psychological control. As vicious as the US penitentiary system is, the people there have the right to spiritual counselling whatever their actions were, for example.

"I'm not with Erdogan but "
Sounds similar to some Arab Muslim Brotherhood members saying "I'm not part of the Muslim Brotherhood but" prior to their inevitable downfall

Sijil

Edit: Also I'm anti-Erdogan just like most of you. Also LOL@ people thinking Turkey will go under Sharia law or something. There is still a big amount of us wanting Secularism even many pro-Erdogan friends I have want Secularism.

Now that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. You sure have some very very optimistic friends right there.

You can look at 9:20 or 11:41 ( NSFW) to understand why exactly they forbade holding prayers for these scumbags.

Edit: Also I'm anti-Erdogan just like most of you. Also LOL@ people thinking Turkey will go under Sharia law or something. There is still a big amount of us wanting Secularism even many pro-Erdogan friends I have want Secularism.

Dude, I am an atheist and even I think that's going way too far...

If you think Turkey is not moving toward a form of Sharia law, however dissimilar in nature, then you're mistaken. Erdogan is a completely fucked up human with no remorse for anyone whose only goal is to gain ultimate power through religion. An Islamist through and through.

Taken him light heartily up until now is the reason Turkey finds itself where it is today.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I will not watch the video, but are all 6000 people arrested for the coup in that video? How about the soldiers who didn't hurt anybody? Can they still be in their family's prayers?

It's like once per day pops up some Erdogan apologist who has no idea how justice works and uses collective guilt as an excuse for anything.

nynt9

That's not a surprise. He wants you to know what he wants you to know and only that.

Freedom of information is gone.
Justice system is dismantled.
School system is being dismantled.
Police are being dismantled.
The army is having groups dismantled.
Press who oppose him is arrested or worse.

>.>

But he's democratically elected! /s

Next Turkish election
ThL6xDi.gif

oti

Banned
Democratically elected*
*terms and conditions may apply

We have to respect Turkeys democratic choice to live in a Stalinistic nightmare. We cannot impose our imperalistic decadent values on everybody.

Guys, I get what you're saying here but it makes no sense.

That phrase you're using was used during the attempted coup and it made sense back then. He was democratically elected, he does have a huge following in Turkey. Being against a coup is not being against democracy. Erdogan is using the coup for his means which was to be expected but that still isn't a legit reason to root for a succesfull coup. I'm sure some of his supporters now realise as well what is happening and are just as shocked as the rest of the world.

All I'm saying is it isn't as black and white as some of you make it out to be.

skny

I will not watch the video, but are all 6000 people arrested for the coup in that video? How about the soldiers who didn't hurt anybody? Can they still be in their family's prayers?

It's like once per day pops up some Erdogan apologist who has no idea how justice works and uses collective guilt as an excuse for anything.

Private Soldiers and other low ranks are still allowed for the prayers so you got your information wrong. I'm gonna stop posting here now since It's imposibble to do it without being called ''erdogan apologist'' but I can't really blame you its very hard not to hate Erdogan.

Tugatrix

And because of that he can disrespect the rule of law? Depose and arrest who ever he pleases? Those soliders did they face charges yet, or are properly detain? Can he purge people out of offices just because they are not from his party?

giphy.gif

(I'm not even discussing the irregularities on the elections)

Shiggy

Guys, I get what you're saying here but it makes no sense.

That phrase you're using was used during the attempted coup and it made sense back then. He was democratically elected, he does have a huge following in Turkey. Being against a coup is not being against democracy. Erdogan is using the coup for his means which was to be expected but that still isn't a legit reason to root for a succesfull coup. I'm sure some of his supporters now realise as well what is happening and are just as shocked as the rest of the world.

All I'm saying is it isn't as black and white as some of you make it out to be.

Erdogoons used it as an excuse on here repeatedly. Now that it's happening just as everyone predicted, it's become a running gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom