• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

Guys, I get what you're saying here but it makes no sense.

That phrase you're using was used during the attempted coup and it made sense back then. He was democratically elected, he does have a huge following in Turkey. Being against a coup is not being against democracy. Erdogan is using the coup for his means which was to be expected but that still isn't a legit reason to root for a succesfull coup. I'm sure some of his supporters now realise as well what is happening and are just as shocked as the rest of the world.

All I'm saying is it isn't as black and white as some of you make it out to be.

Thing is, his behavior here is nothing new. He's been doing similar things for over a decade now. Democracy doesn't mean anything when votes are rigged, the media is under near-complete control and journalists and public figures who speak against him are imprisoned. You can't run an election under those circumstances and claim to be democratically elected.

And because of that he can disrespect the rule of law? Depose and arrest who ever he pleases? Those soliders did they face charges yet, or are properly detain? Can he purge people out of offices just because they are not from his party?

giphy.gif

(I'm not even discussing the irregularities on the elections)

Did you miss the "/s"? I agree with you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thing is, his behavior here is nothing new. He's been doing similar things for over a decade now. Democracy doesn't mean anything when votes are rigged, the media is under near-complete control and journalists and public figures who speak against him are imprisoned. You can't run an election under those circumstances and claim to be democratically elected.
Wait, what are you implying here?! He was democratically elected. Also, we should mind our own business.

/posts from a few pages ago.

(in case it's not clear what I'm saying, an EU-neighbor country going full 3rd Reich is apparently par for the course)

Violet_0

Banned
and the public is still behind him? After the events of the last few days, I'd expect a country-wide protest movement - sort of like an reverse Egypt

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How could the outcome of a coup have been worse than this shitfest

Previous coups in Turkey have resulted in wholesale prosecution and outright massacres with hundreds of victims, so yeah, there's a chance that things could have gone pretty damn bad. Specially given that Erdogan and his supporters wouldn't go down without a fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Turkish_coup_d'état
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_alleged_Turkish_military_coup

The real question is what the hell Erdogan is going to do now. I sure hope he doesn't escalate things further, although one could wonder if he hasn't already inflicted some irreversible damage with the current purge. I can imagine some part of the population being way more than just angry.

Tecnniqe

Banned
and the public is still behind him? After the events of the last few days, I'd expect a country-wide protest movement - sort of like an reverse Egypt
Yeah but last time they had a big protest against anything related to Erdogan they just shot them didn't they?

Soooo

oti

Banned
Erdogoons used it as an excuse on here repeatedly. Now that it's happening just as everyone predicted, it's become a running gag.
I know, I'm just saying this running gag isn't helpful.
Really? A power vacuum could have meant civil war and many other things. From our perspective this outcome is the lesser of two evils, which doesn't make the recent developments any less terrible.

Any news about that 'important announcement' Erdogan was going to give today?

Any bets on declaration of martial law or something like that? Turbo reinstatement of the death penalty in mere hours Putin parliament style? Certain opposition parties being made illegal and declared terrorists (*cough* Kurds *cough cough*)?

oti

Banned

Oh don't get me wrong, Erodgan's view of "democracy" has nothing to do with real democracy. He's been planning his civil coup for many years and this was the last trigger to finish it. But he - as unbelievable as I find it - has many supporters. Call them brainwashed, call them Erdogoons but in the end they support him, as unfortunate as that is. If he hadn't had them the coup would have played out differently.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Turkey will now become an Iranian-like theocracy. And I bet they will invade Syria before the end of the year. Just need an excuse.

El Topo

Oh don't get me wrong, Erodgan's view of "democracy" has nothing to do with real democracy. He's been planning his civil coup for many years and this was the last trigger to finish it. But he - as unbelievable as I find it - has many supporters. Call them brainwashed, call them Erdogoons but in the end they support him, as unfortunate as that is. If he hadn't had them the coup would have played out differently.

Dismissing his supporters as brainwashed and/or idiots is very simplistic and unreasonable. To many he is also someone that modernized the country and brought enormous economic growth.

oti

Banned
Dismissing his supporters as brainwashed and/or idiots is very simplistic and unreasonable. To many he is also someone that modernized the country and brought enormous economic growth. The first part is debatable, the latter absolutely not.

Definitely. He put Turkey on the map. It's not surprising he's so beloved especially in more rural areas of the country.

oti

Banned
I mean, just look at the development of the GDP of Turkey.

Look at Turkish Airlines. I'm sure tons of people in Turkey are proud of it and thank Erdogan for putting Turkey as a power on the map. Question is when does this appreciation of a politician turn into something more dangerous.

People on here get blinded by the pictures of Erdogan supporters shouting and screaming on TV. But there's also the part of the country that knows better than to speak up right now and is just trying to adjust to what is happening or working on their exit plan.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

I'd argue that a civil war would be worse than this.

The moment the coup attempt began, it was a lose lose situation

Nikodemos

Apparently he's meeting with the national security council today, in which "important decisions" will be made. Don't know when they're meeting though.
That "important decision" most likely being the politically sanctioned assassination of prominent coup supporters.

I think Turkey will now become an Iranian-like theocracy. And I bet they will invade Syria before the end of the year. Just need an excuse.
Maybe for the first one
No for the second one, Iran and Turkey both hate the Kurds and have business together.
So Turkey won't invade Syria or harm Assad just not to piss of Iran or Russia again

That "important decision" most likely being the politically sanctioned assassination of prominent coup supporters.
Well, considering where the Turkish anti-terrorism coordinator against ISIS ended up (found in the gutter with his hands tied behind his back, shot in the neck), I wouldn't be surprised really.

skny

Apparently the Police is now checking some people's whatsapp conversations for anything related to the coup or anti-erdoğan messages.And now I remembered I have some Gülen books I should probably burn those haha.

Diancecht

We are waiting THE announcement after National Security Council. Erdogan is about to make a HUGE announcement after the meeting. This could be declaration of state of emergency, professional army instead of obligatory one, referendum for presidency. We will see in an hour or so.

Arkanius

Apparently the Police is now checking some people's whatsapp conversations for anything related to the coup or anti-erdoğan messages.And now I remembered I have some Gülen books I should probably burn those haha.

And hope no one monitored this post.
Good luck to you.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Isn't whatsapp using end to end encryption?

sflufan

Banned
And still no word on those 14 unaccounted for naval vessels? Where the devil could they be?

The Mediterranean Sea ain't THAT big!

oti

Banned
@conflicts are posting new videos of air strikes against civillians during the coup attempt. Won't link directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom