• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

2MF

The news headlines coming out of Turkey are insane... thousands of teachers and academics suspended and not allowed to leave Turkey??

What's the endgame here? Turning Turkey into a full religious state?

Ataturk must be going full-RPM in his grave.

Haven't seen this mentioned earlier and I guess it's pretty much expected, but Turkey Stock Exchange is reacting accordingly.
B-B-But Erdogen put Turkey on the map!

Yeah, and he's taking it right off again. Maybe in 100 years, Turkey can recover and join the rest of the civilized world again.

Diancecht

The news headlines coming out of Turkey are insane... thousands of teachers and academics suspended and not allowed to leave Turkey??

What's the endgame here? Turning Turkey into a full religious state?

Ataturk must be going full-RPM in his grave.

Government is basically saying that every academician should resign and after we conduct series of investigations, if you are not affiliated with the pro-coup parallel state, we will reappoint you. It basically means that the government can accuse everyone. Everyone who isn't with them is against them.

Clessidor

And still no word on those 14 unaccounted for naval vessels? Where the devil could they be?

The Mediterranean Sea ain't THAT big!

I thought I've read the Turkish goverment denies that those 14 ships are missing. But I'm not sure. The informations seem to be unclear for me.
Otherwise they might still out in the ocean. Probably not knowing what to do or anything. Might take time until we get some information.

oti

Banned
B-B-But Erdogen put Turkey on the map!

Yeah, and he's taking it right off again. Maybe in 100 years, Turkey can recover and join the rest of the civilized world again.

Once the economy crashes hard enough for the general population to feel it a huge amount of his supporters will turn against him. Question is if it will be too late at that point and how he would "respond".

Waldini

Government is basically saying that every academician should resign and after we conduct series of investigations, if you are not affiliated with the pro-coup parallel state, we will reappoint you. It basically means that the government can accuse everyone. Everyone who isn't with them is against them.

So much for democracy.

I'm getting major flashbacks.

Don't need to break encryption when you can break bones.

Relevant
security.png

Once the economy crashes hard enough for the general population to feel it a huge amount of his supporters will turn against him. Question is if it will be too late at that point and how he would "respond".

If it comes to that, all Erdogan has to do is blame a foreign entity "that obviously is the cause of economic issues".

If it comes to that, all Erdogan has to do is blame a foreign entity "that obviously is the cause of economic issues".
Well this wont give them bread to eat either.

Economic downfall is the only thing that can stop Erdogan because he can't arrest falling stocks.

Don't forget that 10% of GDP is tourism, he's going to loose billions of dollars this summer alone (+ because of the shit he's doing and the short period of the coup). Other sectors should be more stable (also depending on the companies).

Economic downfall is the only thing that can stop Erdogan because he can't arrest falling stocks.

Don't forget that 10% of GDP is tourism, he's going to loose billions of dollars this summer alone. Other sectors should be more stable (also depending on the companies).

Look at Venezuela, they are well past that point already and Maduro is still there. Erdogan isn't going anywhere due to economic collapse.

nynt9

I'm sure firing so many highly educated people in stable careers will do wonders for the economy. I mean, at this point, how can anyone reasonably justify what Erdogan is doing?

There's a good chance my parents will be fired as they're academicians and doctors at a public university hospital and while they're not vocally anti-AKP (they keep their heads down) they associate with a lot of people who are and there are some other reasons as wel. It will be very bad for them even if they stay, and if they're fired I have no idea what they'll do. They're too young to retire and too old to start over. Their finances weren't ready for retirement yet.

commedieu

Banned
I'm sure firing so many highly educated people in stable careers will do wonders for the economy. I mean, at this point, how can anyone reasonably justify what Erdogan is doing?

There's a good chance my parents will be fired as they're academicians and doctors at a public university hospital and while they're not vocally anti-AKP (they keep their heads down) they associate with a lot of people who are and there are some other reasons as wel. It will be very bad for them even if they stay, and if they're fired I have no idea what they'll do. They're too young to retire and too old to start over. Their finances weren't ready for retirement yet.

I just read on rt that they are also banned from leaving the country. That true?

Look at Venezuela, they are well past that point already and Maduro is still there. Erdogan isn't going anywhere due to economic collapse.
I understand but other regions -> other dynamics.

I'm just saying that it's probably the biggest possibility / reason to revolt.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/turkey/rating

Moody's changed Turkey to Baa3 (negative watch) two days ago. It was Baa3 (negative) before this.

Negative watch definition: "Once a company has been placed on negative watch, it has a 50% chance of its rating being lowered in the next three months."
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/negative-watch.asp#ixzz4ExNwTJmD

-> "Having its credit rating downgraded is a big blow for a business because it will have to pay a higher rate of interest to convince investors to lend it money, if it can convince them at all. Entire countries can also be placed on negative watch."

So, he's on the best way to fuck up everything over there, which is obvious, I know.

Don't forget that 10% of GDP is tourism, he's going to loose billions of dollars this summer alone (+ because of the shit he's doing and the short period of the coup). Other sectors should be more stable (also depending on the companies).

If it comes down to that, I doubt it will be enough to shift enough of the popular support to damage Erdogan position, my best and worst guess is that the population is so divisive and polarized, that this will inevitably end up in a bloody civil war.

In other news, they are no longer allowing academics to do work trips in foreign countries.
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/755673901154308096
I sure love the smell of democracy and freedom in the morning.

Part of what makes this situation difficult for Europe/NATO.

What do you do to punish Erdogan's behavior? Put sanctions on him? That just plays right into his hands and the "bad foreigners/Westerners/Gulenist supporters" narrative he wants to create.

I understand but other regions -> other dynamics.

I'm just saying that it's probably the biggest possibility / reason to revolt.

If I had to bet on anything it would in the fact that these purges are way too massive, in that they may well infuriate acquaintances of these people, the rest of the military that didn't support the coup and cause the the collapse of some public services in general.

Still, it seems half the population is made of Erdogoons willing to harass anyone not supporting him. So even if there's huge discontent within more educated segments of society it will be very difficult to act on it...

spekkeh

Banned
Apparently foreign scientists working at Turkish universities are also required to come in tomorrow. If they're abroad they have to come back.

Might be mass fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're sent to re-education camps.

commedieu

Banned
Apparently foreign scientists working at Turkish universities are also required to come in tomorrow. If they're abroad they have to come back.

Might be mass fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're sent to re-education camps.

This is insane to witness. In 2016.

Watch the Turkish army be replaced by Iranian like revolutionary guards and to add a insult to injury they'll call it Turkish democracy guards.

Nikodemos

Still, it seems half the population is made of Erdogoons willing to harass anyone not supporting him. So even if there's huge discontent within more educated segments of society it will be very difficult to act on it...
Worth noting that the almost-half population opposing him is fractured into several camps who hate each other almost as much as they hate him. You have Hizmet (Gulenists), you've got the deep state remnants, you've got the Kurds etc. His supporters are the largest faction simply because they're organised.

Where are the PRO-Erdogan posts gone to? How shameful is it they were hailing him as their Chosen One during the coup attempt and now they've all disappeared.

I guess they like their freedom and liberties taken away.

Islamist ladies and gentlemen.. These are the type of people that hijacked my country.

Nikodemos

Worth noting that Allawis unanimously support the HDP, AKP's main political opponent.

So violence against them is both ethnic/religious and political.

Sölf;210697257 said:
But why? Was it ownd by a Gulenist or was it because of the books or just "because"?
Yeah I can't tell what they're saying well enough. Any translations of "why"?
If you are not with their religion then you are a) anti-erdogan b) pro-coup and c) infidel.
Hilarious since I'm sure many, if not most, of the people they're hurting are "Muslims."

Just not the right kind.

ezrarh

Worth noting that the almost-half population opposing him is fractured into several camps who hate each other almost as much as they hate him. You have Hizmet (Gulenists), you've got the deep state remnants, you've got the Kurds etc. His supporters are the largest faction simply because they're organised.

Yup. Just by knowing this I don't see him going away anytime soon. Unless he starts invading other countries, I don't think Western powers can or should do anything. It'll suck the people living in Turkey (I worked with a Turkish PhD student while in undergrad so I have some personal connection) but better some authority than a power vacuum.

Yup. Just by knowing this I don't see him going away anytime soon. Unless he starts invading other countries, I don't think Western powers can or should do anything. It'll suck the people living in Turkey (I worked with a Turkish PhD student while in undergrad so I have some personal connection) but better some authority than a power vacuum.
He might start another ethnic cleansing. Certainly within the realm of possibility, sadly.

That'd be another reason to do something.

KDR_11k

The Guardian asked around why people are still with Erdogan:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/20/we-see-him-as-one-of-us-why-many-turks-still-back-authoritarian-erdogan

Basically:
- Other parties are a shitshow
- Erdogan boosted the economy
- Want religious rules forced onto the people
- Fight the elites

And still no word on those 14 unaccounted for naval vessels? Where the devil could they be?

The Mediterranean Sea ain't THAT big!

They could be waiting for the death penalty to be passed and then approach an EU country and apply for asylum. That way they cannot be deported or extradited (EU law forbids extraditing people who may face the death penalty in the target country).

Arkanius

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/20/we-see-him-as-one-of-us-why-many-turks-still-back-authoritarian-erdogan

Basically:
- Fight the elites

They could be waiting for the death penalty to be passed and then approach an EU country and apply for asylum. That way they cannot be deported or extradited (EU law forbids extraditing people who may face the death penalty in the target country).

Woops

What a nightmare. I feel so bad, Turkey was always held up as the example of what a secular progressive Muslim country could be.
Many Muslim countries were looking up to Turkey in various areas from culture, finance, industry, education etc.

Now it's the country that stripped down their soldiers clothing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Where HAVE the Erdogan fans and stans gone? Are they waiting for some positive news to jump on?

If you're reading, or lurking, you guys are embarrassing and don't even have the courage of your own convictions.

Basically:
- Fight the elites

At least they're honest.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Basically:
- Fight the elites

I swear, people are such miserable pieces of shit that they have to dictate how others live their lives.

Nikodemos

Given that both AKP and Hizmet started as Islamist movements (with AKP being the more hardline populist and Hizmet the more academic), the outwardly religious conservativism is unsurprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom