• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

Ugh, I'm too stressed out right now. I'm going to step away for a bit. Can a mod keep the OP up to date with verified news items?

Chaos17

"Military assure they want to reinstate the rule of law, the freedom and security of people with this coup."

SIC Notícias Portuguese News Channel, live reporter in Ankara through Skype

Does Turkey has someone good to take that role ?

No, stop with that nonsense. The NSDAP never won the majority in elections. Their votes were going down when chancellor Schleicher and a guy called von Papen thought it was the best idea in the world to approach President Hindenburg to make Hitler chancellor of Germany. They thought Hitler and his supportes may work like a bandwagon for the deeply divided Weimar republic. Boy, were they wrong

You really have strong opinions about Nazi elections :).

Anyway there are hundreds (edit: meant to say dozens) more dictators that were democratically elected. Hitler is always just an easy example. Didn't mean to get technical. That's why I "hated" saying it... :)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"Worth noting, the Turkish military has a constitutional clause where they are supposed to overthrow the government if the government poses a threat to secularity"

Based Ataturk.

Awesome ... if true that is. Secularity isnt even a word.

Erdogan was pulling the country to the right and doing some stupid shit along the way like suing people for making fun of him. He had to go. You cant leave democracy up to the people all the time. People are stupid. See current republican nominee and Brexit. Also recent polls that suggest 42% of muslim french young adults have a favorable view of suicide bombings or the declining unfavorable ratings of Taliban and AlQaeda in Pakistan over the last couple of years or the recent survey that 64% of Pakistanis dont know if they view ISIS favorably or unfavorably.

In short, people are fucking stupid. And Turkey is one of the few secular muslim countries that actually works. Let's not turn it into fucking Pakistan.

dakun

You guys don't understand this will kick back turkey 50 years.

All the advancement were for nothing. The common people are fucked here. But what do you all care tho? Your not living there.

what the hell are you talking about. There have been no indication that the military has any intentions to make this a bloody takeover. If in fact they come from the secular strand of the country those in the government that pushed for a more Islamic Turkey will pay for trying to actually steer the country back to pre Ataturk times.

sangreal

"Military assure they want to reinstate the rule of law, the freedom and security of people with this coup."

SIC Notícias Portuguese News Channel, live reporter in Ankara through Skype

Has there ever been a coup that didn't go w/ that message?

Rafy

May I ask why?

Centuries old rivalry. They are right to mobilize, I grew up on an island 30 minutes away from Turkey by ferry and could see Turkish fighters violating our airspace every day. That was during normal times, with how chaotic things are getting now it's a wise move.

Jackpot

Banned
People who are endorsing this smh. He was DEMOCRATICALLY elected.

What a reductionist view. Only someone completely ignorant of history could believe the above. You only have to look far back as Yanukovych in Ukraine to see being democratically elected means they shouldn't be removed from office under any circumstances.

boiled goose

good with gravy
There have been four major coups in Turkey's history. The last one occurred in 1997. This will not set them back much should things go relatively smoothly.

let's hope that if this is a secular coup to add stronger protections in the constitution. What Erdogan did to the press was shameless and should not be possible..

I don't like coups. That clause in constitution is dumb.

I don't like coups. I hate dictators more.

ironcreed

Banned
No it's not. Posts like this really need to stop.

Yes, everything is all fine and wonderful.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

kharma45

You really have strong opinions about Nazi elections :).

Anyway there are hundreds more dictators that were democratically elected. Hitler is always just an easy example. That's why I "hated" saying it... :)

No, it's not easy. It's ignorant and wrong.

And it's not strong opinions, it's actually knowing what you're talking about.

pgtl_10

What a reductionist view. Only someone completely ignorant of history could believe the above. You only have to look far back as Yanukovych in Ukraine to see being democratically elected means they shouldn't be removed from office under any circumstances.

He should not have been overthrown either. There is a process. When you throw that away what's the point of democracy?

TyrantII

Correct me if i am wrong but... the nazi party never got 51% or more of the vote if i am not mistaken. More like 30% and then they bullied themselves to power.

On topic : erdogan is a vile character, so i hope this turns for the best. I fear it might get ugly though, with how popular erdogan is...

They were elected. You don't need a majority to come to power, especially in parliamentary systems. You only need a plurality.

I'm not sure what your point is

Democratically elected leaders can and have tried to year apart constitutions through history. Some with public support.

Lego Boss

This is massive.

What is going on in Eurasia right now is just unbelievable. It's like someone pushed the button and slowly everything is imploding.

I'm against erdogan and my first inclination is to support the military, who has represented secular Turkey. But being on my phone I don't know all of the details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom