• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Watch them name it something like the Ataturk Brigade. They'll soon be talking about Kemal Ataturk the same way modern US Republicans talk about their founding fathers. "Back when Kemal Ataturk founded this country along Islamic principles..."
Given the solid performance on the Armenian genocide matter, that'd be par for the course.

A common point among political Islamic theocracies, they hate armys that are built around Nationalism.
That's why during the Muslim Brotherhood reign on Egypt, many Egyptian soldiers started being killed in Senai. Police also started to be targeted.

Soooo, has the coastal guard not been affected by the purge yet and some of them thought they might just as well make a run for it when Greece is a few kilometers away?

Would be ironic if Turkey had lost half it's naval assets by the end of the week.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Turkey has hundreds of such groups big and small. They are called "tarikat" or "cemaat". They vary in the degree of fanatism. Hizmet (Gulen's Cemaat) is by far the biggest and most influencial, but how big is difficult to say. That they tried to get their people into high positions is widely known in Turkey and in most part they succeeded. Hence the broad scope of the purge, it litterly could be anyone because they started this infiltration process 40 years ago.

My personal opinion, they are not the kind that the Western world assosiate with religious fanatism. But they are shady as hell and their members have this sect like mentally surrounding them. İt's difficult to explain, kinda like Scientology if i have to compare.
They sound like the Islamic version of the Opus Dei, tbh.

sflufan

Banned
The "Purge Count" list has been updated:

Cn0tOWXXYAAFR4P.jpg

Beefy

Conflict News – ‏@Conflicts

ERDOGAN: "It will be a big mistake if the US decides not to extradite Gulen" - @AJEnglish

Diancecht

Erdogan:

"If the parliament passes the death sentence, I will approve it."

He also says that Russia and U.S.A. have it too, what's the big deal?

Crisco

Banned
Erdogan is barking up the wrong tree with that ish. Obama could tank the Turkish economy with the stroke of a pen, just like he did to Russia and Iran.

He is pulling a Hitler + Stalin combination it seems.

I think its closer to the Saddam Hussein coup. Both Stalin and Hitler had stronger ideological component in their dictatorship. Sunni Muslim military takeover usually don't that much religious change.

oti

Banned
Erdogan's interview right now is INSANE.

He says the pilot who shot down Russian jet last year may be connected to Gulen.
He tells French FM to mind his own business after he warned about a post-coup crackdown.
He says it would be a "big mistake" by the US to not extradite Gulen.
He says there may have been foreign countries involved in coup attempt.

This is him drawing a line in the sand.

Diancecht

I won't be surprised if we exit NATO and enter the SCO.

Fuck at this point I won't surprised if he forms a new alliance, just him in it. "Great Erdogan Alliance."

tayyip-erdo%C4%9Fan-%C4%B1n-ibretlik-foto%C4%9Fraf%C4%B1_524523.png

norinrad

Conflict News – ‏@Conflicts

ERDOGAN: "It will be a big mistake if the US decides not to extradite Gulen" - @AJEnglish

He won't last long it seems. They are going to overthrow him. I'm not sure who his advisors are but threatening the US is often not such a great idea.

Clessidor

He also says that Russia and U.S.A. have it too, what's the big deal?
Russia doesn't have it anymore since 1999, I think. The US is actually the only big western exception I can see on the map.
Bringing back the Death Penalty is definitevly another step away from the West.
Anyway watching what is happening in Turkey right now is really worrying. I really can't see how this won't end in either a dictatur or one day in a civil war.

skny

He says the pilot who shot down Russian jet last year may be connected to Gulen.
He tells French FM to mind his own business after he warned about a post-coup crackdown.

Nothing shocking or different than before. He is always ballsy against other countries in reality he can't afford to lose support of them. But my guessing is Turkey will side more with Russia from now on.

Tugatrix

Obama and the other diplomats should show this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbahxJuPPHw

Diancecht

Also our S&P rating decreased to BB with a negative outlook.

Oh yeah baby we are fine don't worry.

Riding a boat with this mad man, no compass, no captain and a storm is coming.

hEist

This seems so off somehow. Specially after he phoned with Putin 2 weeks ago and apologized.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

This nothing extraordinary from what he is spewing these last few days. But you know, imo the biggest treath against his power is a potential collapse of the economy. The hardcore votersbase of the AKP/ Erdoğan always get overrated. İt has always been max 25%, the rest consist of Turks who benefited of the economic growth and are contend with him staying in power even if he is a total shithead. An economic collapse would break that status quo imo, just look what happened in 2009 when Turkey also suffered from the economic crisis. There was a sharp drop in votes. Anyway the Turkish Lira is tanking, the credit rating is downgraded left and right, the Tourism Sector is having it's worsed year in 20 years and there is no confidence of investors whatsoever. İ guess the Turks are going to feel it in their pockets and if that happens İ really wonder if they support dear leader as strong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This seems so off somehow. Specially after he phoned with Putin 2 weeks ago and apologized.

That apology seems now like a bit of foreshadowing, doesn't it?

I assumed that it was because of the tourism industry, but he doesn't really give a shit about the tourism industry now, so maybe that was not it in the end?

In the same context, I also saw on the news something about Erdogan trying to get closer ties to Iran and Russia.

oti

Banned
Nothing shocking or different than before. He is always ballsy against other countries in reality he can't afford to lose support of them. But my guessing is Turkey will side more with Russia from now on.

Russia in this is very interesting. Putin visited Greece just a few weeks ago. Both nations are Othodox. I saw some commentators saying Greece would be Putin's way back into Europe, but now with this whole Turkey situation who knows what will happen.

Theonik

That apology seems now like a bit of foreshadowing, doesn't it?

I assumed that it was because of the tourism industry, but he doesn't really give a shit about the tourism industry now, so maybe that was not it in the end?

In the same context, I also saw on the news something about Erdogan trying to get closer ties to Iran and Russia.
He tried to make peace with Israel and Russia just a few weeks ago in an uncharacteristic wider outreach considering how he pissed the later off.

e:
Russia in this is very interesting. Putin visited Greece just a few weeks ago. Both nations are Othodox. I saw some commentators saying Greece would be Putin's way back into Europe, but now with this whole Turkey situation who knows what will happen.
Russia has closer ties to Greece than it does with Turkey but Russia was using Turkey as a medium for their gas pipeline into Greece/the EU. The sanctions kinda hurt Greece in that respect, but with Turkey's EU ascension gone, that potentially makes Greece a more valuable ally than Turkey. Unless Turkey drops out of NATO in which case Russia is interested in their geostrategic position.

This nothing extraordinary from what he is spewing these last few days. But you know, imo the biggest treath against his power is a potential collapse of the economy. The hardcore votersbase of the AKP/ Erdoğan always get overrated. İt has always been max 25%, the rest consist of Turks who benefited of the economic growth and are contend with him staying in power even if he is a total shithead. An economic collapse would break that status quo imo, just look what happened in 2009 when Turkey also suffered from the economic crisis. There was a sharp drop in votes. Anyway the Turkish Lira is tanking, the credit rating is downgraded left and right, the Tourism Sector is having it's worsed year in 20 years and there is no confidence of investors whatsoever. İ guess the Turks are going to feel it in their pockets and if that happens İ really wonder if they support dear leader as strong.
Well, if he manages to purge the entirety of the political system, the education system, the military and the police, I don't see how anyone, even the people, could stop him. It's rather hard to get rid of a dictatorship that controls everything, particularly police and military. It's not like he had any issues with the police shooting protestors in the past, it won't get any better now. He knows the economy will suffer, that's why is doing a Hitler in 1933 right now.

This paranoia is dangerous...
Well, if there was no more threat from the coupist or even more coups then there wouldn't be any reason to continue the purging in the next few weeks, now would it?

Reuters: BREAKING: Turkey will have a state of emergency for three months to tackle Gulen movement - President Erdogan
Well, now the fun really begins.

Shouldn't we create a new, more relevant thread for the whole situation by now? This doesn't have that much to do with the coup itself anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom