• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

The US secretary of state John Kerry says he hopes there will be peace, stability and unity within Turkey amid reports that a military coup is underway.

thanks

Zapages

From their wiki article they seem better (more progressive) than the status quo, what am I missing?

They seem / were like that... But recently they have become more like cult like persona from talking to my Turkish friends... Hopefully they are like the former and less like their latter persona.

Major differences is that they are against toppling Assad but pro for fighting ISIS... I guess is was the main reason as to why this occurred.

I really hope Civil war does not occur as it would mean breaking up of Turkey as a country... That would lead even a larger mess than what is right now.

No, it's not easy. It's ignorant and wrong.

And it's not strong opinions, it's actually knowing what you're talking about.

Could you explain why you have such a strong opinion about this? Nazi party got good chunk of the vote, which let them take over the government. I'm referring to a good chunk of the vote as an example of democracy. In many countries party with 29% of the vote gets to form the government. Why argue about such a non-issue?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I do agree that I would think impeachments would be.... cleaner?

Of course, but...

[You are too naive to understand how "democracy" actually works in other countries. "elected" dictators dissolve branches of government, buy elections, persecute the press, imprison critics, bribe judges and the military, etc.

The best you can hope for is individuals in the military not succumbing to bribes and power and siding with the people. ]

... It's not always so simple...

pgtl_10

That clause is one of the reasons Turkey has become one of the most consistently progressive countries in the Muslim world. I think it's a valid fail safe against theocracy.

No it's not. It's an excuse for the military to overthrow any threat to their power. It's why the Middle East can't develop a democracy.

Rafy

I thought that would have been self evident. If there was a coup in Mexico City you can be sure the US military would be mobilising locking down the border swiftly. Remember also Greece and Turkey, you know, despise each other.

We don't despise the people, we despise the military leaders that are itching for a conflict.

Dennis

Banned
Bye bye Erdogan. You overstayed your welcome.

Military coups are obviously problematic but Erdogan was a danger to long term Turkish democracy.

Now of course the big question is whether this will be similar to the previous secular Turkish military coups.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The US secretary of state John Kerry says he hopes there will be peace, stability and unity within Turkey amid reports that a military coup is underway.

thanks

That's good, I thought he was hoping for war and chaos in Turkey. Good to hear he is, in fact, against those things.

Meadows

Banned
Coup is from secularists. Guaranteeing rights of all religions and nationalities. Will put a new constitution in place. Martial law declared.

Condom

Erdogan might have lost the next elections anyway but right now things can get very ugly. This is all one big pile of shit for people living in Turkey atm

CoolOff

Yes, everything is all fine and wonderful

No one is saying that, don't be silly. However, the world is not about to explode either.

I feel like those type of comments go well together with "holy shit I had no idea about Turkish coup history". It's a fundamental misconception that the years since WW2 have been "calm" and that it's now kicking off.

Everything is not fine, but they have almost never been better.

Glin

You guys don't understand this will kick back turkey 50 years.

All the advancement were for nothing. The common people are fucked here. But what do you all care tho? Your not living there.

Build your statement with constructive arguments and examples how this will kick back Turkey 50 years in development?

Yet you don't live there either, so why would you care about it then? I do care, because I have friends living in Istanbul.

I don't really like Putin that much, Resident_UA. I like Russia.

But if you liked Russia you would acknowledge that Putin is bad for Russia. Russia has so many resources, but instead it is just playing game of politics that cos thousands of lives. I understand that US does it too, but Russian economy is nowhere close to the size of the US to be doing it to itself.

Also please remove that offensive avatar. You really don't know much about history of Ukraine so please at least don't get involved in that...

JP_

Banned
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e909...eport-turkish-military-says-its-taken-control

11:45 p.m.

A Turkish news agency has published a statement from the military saying the armed forces have "fully seized control" of the country.

The Dogan agency reported that the statement said that the military did this "to reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated."

The military statement went on to say that "all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue."

___

11:10 p.m.

Turkey's prime minister says a group within Turkey's military has engaged in what appeared to be an attempted coup.

Binali Yildirim told NTV television: "it is correct that there was an attempt."

Yildirim didn't provide details, but said Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy."

Earlier, military jets were heard flying over the capital, Ankara.

Media reports said ambulances were seen in front of the Turkey's military headquarters.

mkenyon

Banned
People in this thread overreacting are hilarious. Do a bit of research before trying to tell GAF how outraged/shocked you are.
Bye bye Erdogan. You overstayed your welcome.

Military coups are obviously problematic but Erdogan was a danger to long term Turkish democracy.

Now of course the big question is whether this will be similar to the previous secular Turkish military coups.
Likely. It's a tradition that is taken very seriously by the military.

Flames in Ankara:

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/754056752627347460

Cnbx2G4WIAACSSY.jpg

are you serious?
Yeah I was serious.
Centuries old rivalry. They are right to mobilize, I grew up on an island 30 minutes away from Turkey by ferry and could see Turkish fighters violating our airspace every day. That was during normal times, with how chaotic things are getting now it's a wise move.

As a precautionary measure in case of any spillover into Greek territory or waters.

Greece and Turkey have a long history of wars, conflicts, invasions. Any military coup on Turkey will raise the alertness in Greece.

I thought that would have been self evident. If there was a coup in Mexico City you can be sure the US military would be mobilising locking down the border swiftly. Remember also Greece and Turkey, you know, despise each other.
Thanks, I didn't know Greece and Turkey despise each other nor was aware Greece is located right by Turkey.

Yes, everything is all fine and wonderful.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

People have more access to the news

People have free time

People are by evolution designed to look for bad news and things that can kill us

We're in one of the most peaceful times in human history, massive wars between nations are a far more rare event, civilian lives are highly valued and protected. What is on the news are single person actors, terrorist organizations that range in size of thousands killing dozens of people in western nations every now and then.

We have a single country that just had a coup, and within the countries own history this is not something that is out of the ordinary.

Saying "the world is in chaos!!!" is just ignorant of the state of the world. You have access to more global information at speeds never before seen in human history, not shocking that we flood ourselves with all the bad things that are happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom